closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Damasko diver

New Damasko diver

Damasko have fairly-quickly got around to upgrading their DSub range of divers' watches with something both very different and also little-changed...

What's most obviously different is the appearance: black "DAMEST" coating (an unspecified, presumably PVD/DLC type hard coating) is a first for the DSub range, coupled with monotone white indexes. Gone are the vivid yellows and oranges of before. Naturally, Damasko's in-house A-26 automatic movement is also now in-place - a worthwhile upgrade given it is designed to be serviced by anyone with ETA/Sellita-compatible "consumables", but with stronger bridges, longer maintenance intervals, a tougher, foolproof hand-winding assembly, and a slightly longer power reserve than SW-200/2824 movements.

The price has - of course - also gone-up, as the DAMEST coating and the in-house movement both command a premium. So it will retail around £1,950 in the UK - a never-welcome ~£500 rise, but a price that still undercuts Sinn's U1 S by nearly £500 - and that only has a relatively-humble Sellita SW-200 movement...

What hasn't changed is the overall layout of the design, nor the 43mm diameter of the watch. Nor, for now, has a specific metal bracelet appeared, though it is expected at some point.

No doubt other models will follow - at the very least a non-DAMEST cased version, and I do hope they'll offer some more colourful dials - blue, orange or yellow would all be good and diver-appropriate.

Master
    This is the Damest description on their website. I have a damest DC66 which is really nicely finished and still good as new.
    https://www.damasko-watches.com/en/t...amest-coating/

Also have the DSub1 which is looking like great value now, and still the best looking. Will see what other variations they bring out - sure to be a few

I like the Damest coating and am pleased the design proportions remain similar to the previous version. Even with the price rise, as the Earl states, it still looks good against the Sinn U1, though I agree a splash of dive-appropriate colour would make it even better.

Yep, it'll take a tasty colour scheme to tip me into moving-on my DSub3

Craftsman
    This looks great but too big for my tastes. Hope they do a 40mm version would be good completion for the sinn u50

Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    This looks great but too big for my tastes. Hope they do a 40mm version would be good completion for the sinn u50
    Here is the DSub1 on my 6.75 inch wrist. The watch actually has a 42mm case (the bezel makes it 43mm), so in my opinion it’s a perfect sized diver. The lug to lug is also 49mm and on a strap it wears much smaller than say my Sinn U1/UX.

Really like that. Big fan of stark German design

Shame about the unindexed bezel. They should have just taken the bezel from the DA46 and used that.

Always wanted a watch like the DA46 that is dive watch ISO compliant. I wonder if that bezel can be swapped with the DA46??

DA46:
    [img] http://www.wellnet.com.au/pics/Damas...%20Tas%201.jpg [/img]
    Last edited by bedlam; 25th May 2021 at 05:10.

Master
    I like the unindexed bezel but agree that a splash of colour would make it even better. Nonetheless, Damasko could have another winner on its hands

I much prefer the simple B/W pallette, it is totally in keeping with their stark functional design aesthetic.
    Plus, I see a lot of their colours as very odd choices.
    The green option on the DC80 is just plain odd, the scarlet lume pip and 12 index on some others.
    I am all for a splash of colour on something that has some flare, but Damaskos are very deliberately about functionality, not flare, and some of their colours can look like lipstick on a pig.
    D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I much prefer the simple B/W pallette, it is totally in keeping with their stark functional design aesthetic.
    Plus, I see a lot of their colours as very odd choices.
    I'd second that but then I have the DA46, DC56si and DC66. I like a bit of colour on my chronos so the orange I can get but not so much the green and yellow. Not sure what it is but the straps with matching stitching don't help imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Shame about the unindexed bezel. They should have just taken the bezel from the DA46 and used that.

Always wanted a watch like the DA46 that is dive watch ISO compliant. I wonder if that bezel can be swapped with the DA46??
    Obviously such a bezel isn't suited to diving applications, so it would be an odd standard choice on diver's watch, but that said, the slightly larger bezels (and the "castellated" metal part) from the DC66/7 and DC80-series should fit (same crystal diameter, I just checked), and then you can choose count-up or hour bezel inserts as you please.

I'm sure if you drop Damasko a line they'll confirm, and they're always willing to do custom orders.

As for the colours, red was a custom choice for me on the DC80 - I'm not a pilot - and I love orange, so that's an easy choice; the green they use is too bright for my liking, and the yellow much too insipid, it's a sort of washed-out primrose which I can't abide, but all this is just a matter of individual choice, and they sell bucketloads of both, so I'm glad they do.

I really like the stark minimalism of Damasko - no-one does it better, not even Sinn or IWC, but a little splash of colour really brings the look alive, and when used for things like chronograph hands and critical time counters, improves functionality as well.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Obviously such a bezel isn't suited to diving applications, so it would be an odd standard choice on diver's watch
    What makes you think that?

Oh look another person you can berate for saying something about diving, goody

Eh?

How Commerce Works:

1. Label product "Thing, Type A"
    2. "Thing, Type A" is distinguished by characteristic features.
    3. "Thing, Type A" has borne those features since the Stone Age.
    4. Consumers expect "Thing, Type A" to bear those features.
    5. You omit one characteristic feature from "Thing, Type A".
    6. Consumers hate, berate, "Thing, Type A".
    7. Consumers don't buy "Thing, Type A".
    8. Manufacturer of "Thing, Type A" goes bust.
    9. Nobody lives happily ever after.
    10. This makes Gaga sad.

It is a pilots bezel by virtue of the countdown scale instead of the elapsed time found on a divers watch..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    It is a pilots bezel by virtue of the countdown scale instead of the elapsed time found on a divers watch..
    Its an EDT bezel. If you look at the pic above you can see the numbers run clockwise. Which is why I asked.
    Last edited by bedlam; 28th May 2021 at 01:22.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Oh look another person you can berate for saying something about diving, goody
    Are you ok? Did somebody hurt you? You should definitely compensate by attacking others first.

Interesting thread.

Master
    I'm confused why you can't use a divers watch as a divers watch; It has the 15 min countdown? You need a scale from 0 to 60 minutes and the ISO 6425 doesn't specify that you need every minute indexed, only every 5.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I'm confused why you can't use a divers watch as a divers watch; It has the 15 min countdown? You need a scale from 0 to 60 minutes and the ISO 6425 doesn't specify that you need every minute indexed, only every 5.
    It specifies a minute scale up to 60 mins and to highlight the 5 min markers. That is two separate components

Which looks something like this (or the DA46 bezel I posted above):

Last edited by bedlam; 28th May 2021 at 13:47.

Master
    It specifies a minute scale up to 60 mins and to highlight the 5 min markers. That is two separate components

Which looks something like this (or the DA46 bezel I posted above):

True, not sure why I missed that. Seems odd they'd miss off the minute markers after 15 mins. Looks good anyway and no one is actually going to use their as their sole diving instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    True, not sure why I missed that. Seems odd they'd miss off the minute markers after 15 mins. Looks good anyway and no one is actually going to use their as their sole diving instrument.
    Agreed.

They aren't going to use the watch alone by choice but I have needed to when a computer has failed.
    Last edited by bedlam; 29th May 2021 at 02:21.

Master
    Has anyone seen a DSub50 in the metal yet?