closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bamboo toothbrushes

Bamboo toothbrushes

I’m bombarded with ads for these at the moment and was just looking in to their green credentials V standard plastic brushes. I’m guessing that most of the raw materials aren’t locally sourced and probably come from China or somewhere similar. Seeing as they’re a raw material there must be some drying and treating process in place which must come with a substantial amount of chemical and energy use. Let’s hope there’s no child labour involved and that all concerned are getting are ethically treated. I’m only assuming here but they then must be shipped over the world to distribution centres where again they’re distributed again to the end users. The bulk of the brush is biodegradable however the bristles aren’t and need to be recycled separately before chucking in to the composter. I wonder how many people will do that and not just throw the bristles in to the bin.

Wisdom toothbrushes are the largest producers of plastic toothbrushes in the UK and there’s are made of 100% recyclable plastic, they can go in normal blue bins along with other plastics and alike. Being made in the UK and distributed within the UK at source they don’t have that massive footprint that the bamboo ones have.
    I’d like to know the impact to the environment of both of these products and would suspect that there’s not a huge difference if any between the 2.
    Anyone got one.....how long do they last, and are they as good?

Don't think all (even most) Wisdom toothbrushes are recyclable and even then will depend on 'local facilities'.

Blue bin will be a local thing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Our bamboo brushes are used once a day ,we also have electric toothbrush that’s used once a day.We replace them every six weeks or so.

Been wondering about this, and OP's post makes a lot of sense. I rather absent-mindedly bought a couple of bamboo toothbrushes to try, assuming that some means to process bamboo to make the bristles would be in place, or if not, one of the many other sources of natural bristles would be used. So I was rather underwhelmed when they turned-out to be plastic! Can't even add them to the fire-kindling!

These are Colgate branded, and they are also most un-ergonomic - like brushing your teeth with a plank. The fact they are also very porous probably doesn't bode well for hygiene, so they'll not be staying in service as long as the plastic variety - further defeating the object

It would make a lot more sense to produce separate multi-reuse handles from natural materials like wood (ideally locally-sourced and renewable) and have recyclable plastic heads which attach rather after the manner of wet shavers.

I don’t know about bamboo toothbrushes, but I’ve got bamboo boxer shorts and socks and love them! So comfortable.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If they’re good enough to keep dogs teeth healthy they’re good enough for mine.

Craftsman
    Like many of us I've tried to reduce my use and purchase of plastic and toothbrushes were an obvious one. So, I purchased 3 bamboo ones with some kind of 'natural brush bits' in them which, according to the blah on the box, would save the planet. I was most underwhelmed and found that they just did not not clean my teeth any where near as well as my old standard plastic type - so I gave up and chucked them! Put them in the recycling bin but I probably did that wrong as 'recycling' stuff requires lots of research to get the correct bin depending on where you live in the country!

Hopefully someone here will have a better recommendation!
    Last edited by Eddiex; 22nd May 2021 at 14:36.

How much plastic is actually recycled? I understand little is, with much of it being baled and shipped back to the likes of Indonesia where we pay them to take our trash - ridiculous and shameful.