closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Old Submariner

Old Submariner

Evening folks.
    A good friend of mine showed me this watch today. He inherited it from his uncle who has passed away. He was wondering what it was worth. He believes his uncle bought it in the 70's.
    Any paperwork or boxes have long been lost. It's probably never been serviced. As you can see it's in rough condition. The bracelet looks like it's on it's last legs and there is some damage to the cyclops. The lume is missing from the second hand. It still works but I don't know how well. Any thoughts on value in it's present condition? I'm assuming it's a genuine Rolex. I have no reason to believe otherwise. Time will tell but at present I am taking it at face value. I would very much value your opinions.

I’m no expert, but the word Submariner appears to be in red, which is a good thing! - I’m sure others will be along soon to add their thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckily the tritium dot from the seconds hand is floating around under the crystal and can be resecured by a competent repairer.

Looks like a very nice honest and original red Sub 1680.

So value-wise, around £15k ish?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Luckily the tritium dot from the seconds hand is floating around under the crystal and can be resecured by a competent repairer.

Looks like a very nice honest and original red Sub 1680.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    You think? In it's condition? I'm surprised. Though I'm not up to date with the market value of these watches. I don't think he would ever sell it, but if it's worth that then I think it would be worth spending a few thousand on having it refurbished. Maybe not by Rolex though. :) I'll try and talk him into it but I suspect it will just be left in a drawer. My friend is a gardener to trade and wore it for several years doing God knows what. This probably accounts for the condition!
    Thanks.

Master

Sub

Nice watch and £1k-1200 GBP would cover the service and the bracelet being retightened and it’s good for years to come ,
    and you don’t see many Red Subs nowadays and I’ll bet after the service / fettling of the bracelet it’s nearly a £20 k watch .

Craftsman
    Was offered this for £13k yesterday

Sold mine around 2008 for under £6k. Muppet!

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    Nice watch and £1k-1200 GBP would cover the service and the bracelet being retightened and it’s good for years to come ,
    and you don’t see many Red Subs nowadays and I’ll bet after the service / fettling of the bracelet it’s nearly a £20 k watch .
    Thanks. I would have expected more for a refurbish but I'm in unfamiliar territory. In the meantime I'll advise him to stick it on a nato if he intends wearing it in the near future. It would be a pity to lose it!

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post

Ooh lala.

Sold my BiMetal blue dialled sub for £3600 in 2010/1 mega muppet
    But was happy with the price then so not really a big Muppet, got a sea dweller from it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Quite a bit more than that for a correct 1680.

Master

That’s nice, from your a Rolex contact?

Craftsman
    No a car dealer friend purchased a car from this guy and next minute he got out his watch collection. I was then contacted asking if I fancied it

That is a nice red 1680.

I would just tighten the bracelet stretch and service the movement and do nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Thanks. I would have expected more for a refurbish but I'm in unfamiliar territory. In the meantime I'll advise him to stick it on a nato if he intends wearing it in the near future. It would be a pity to lose it!
    He needs to get the tritium dot for the seconds finger sorted first (it's floating around near 1 o'clock). If it goes into the date window, it's nadgered!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    He needs to get the tritium dot for the seconds finger sorted first (it's floating around near 1 o'clock). If it goes into the date window, it's nadgered!!
    Good point!

Craftsman
    I don’t know what it’s worth but seeing it makes me wish for a sympathetic restoration, what a cracking find!

Master

I like the dial etc on this but I’d want a closer look at that bezel insert - that tritium pearl looks mahoosive for a 1680 whereas the one on the op’s picture looks much more normal.

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    I like the dial etc on this but I’d want a closer look at that bezel insert - that tritium pearl looks mahoosive for a 1680 whereas the one on the op’s picture looks much more normal.
    That's a modern or service replacement insert with the pip in a steel cup, the originals wouldn't have had that. Mark 3 fat font I'm guessing should be the correct insert.