closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 57

Thread: Is it winter?

  1. #1
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,289

    Is it winter?

    Just changed into my third set of clothes today having taken the dog out twice. And I mean boxer shorts, the lot. My hands are numb and the poor mutt is shivering. Single figure temperature, lashing rain and blowing a hoolie. It's almost June FFS. We've had the heating on for eight straight months now, it's pathetic.

    I'm spending money on my garden renovation but I'm seriously questioning why. If we're lucky we maybe get five good days a year where you can actually enjoy the garden.

    I hate UK weather and can't see myself staying here in retirement, I'll need to spend six months a year out of this sh*t hole. Another 'summer' on the horizon of not being able to make any plans whatsoever that include being outside.

  2. #2
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    9,495
    It’s been a long winter for sure, and I’m missing my vitamin d fix.

    However, having lived in Africa for a number of years, I missed the changeable seasons, and as for 4 seasons in one way, you have to appreciate the variety.

    If you can’t change it, embrace it!

  3. #3
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    14,952
    My heart goes out to you.

    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

  4. #4
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    9,802
    Just get a decent coat.

  5. #5
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,375
    Honestly, get some perspective. You are so very lucky compared to so very many.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2g2VYJ2sxc

  6. #6
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,289
    Jeez, I know that, I don't need to get any perspective. I'm having a moan about the weather. Is that OK? It's not like I'm moaning about the price of a used Rolex.


    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Honestly, get some perspective. You are so very lucky compared to so very many.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2g2VYJ2sxc

  7. #7
    Craftsman enndriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Newcastle UK
    Posts
    408
    I agree, itís getting pretty depressing. After a brief glimpse of a few warmer days in April, have to say this has been the absolute shitest May I can remember in a long time. Cold, wet, and not funny anymore!

  8. #8
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,289
    We're in / around the same city so yes, I agree :(

    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    I agree, itís getting pretty depressing. After a brief glimpse of a few warmer days in April, have to say this has been the absolute shitest May I can remember in a long time. Cold, wet, and not funny anymore!

  9. #9
    Craftsman enndriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Newcastle UK
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    We're in / around the same city so yes, I agree :(
    Haha yeah I always assume itís equally crap everywhere, but on the rare occasions I venture down south itís like being in a different country

  10. #10
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1
    Same weather here.

    Checking the national rain forecast app on my phone before walking the dog to dodge the showers. Good thing is that a Rottweiler hates getting wet! Also on the bright side: I can split firewood under the carport! That, in a way, makes me happy: using a log-splitter when the rain comes down like crazy. Another positive thing: my freshly sown lawn is growing very fast.

    Menno

  11. #11
    was cycling today and nearly fell over a few times - horrid

  12. #12
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    36,302
    Me? I laugh in the face of weather, there's neither bad or good, it is what it is. Wearing the right clothing and feeling some healthy weather on your skin is a long way better than being 6 feet under. Man up you pooves! (ALERT! Sense of humour required)

  13. #13
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Me? I laugh in the face of weather, there's neither bad or good, it is what it is. Wearing the right clothing and feeling some healthy weather on your skin is a long way better than being 6 feet under. Man up you pooves! (ALERT! Sense of humour required)
    Now thatís a healthy sense of humour indeed.

  14. #14
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,310
    Honestly, get some perspective. You are so very lucky compared to so very many.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2g2VYJ2sxc
    Seems a bit OTT reminding him about droughts in Africa, it's just a Brit complaining about the weather...thought it was an accepted national passtime?

  15. #15
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    13,741
    Well bearing in mind that the nights start drawing in less than a month from now, the weather is rubbish.

  16. #16
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    5,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Just get a decent coat.
    😂😂

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,328
    The weather this month has been pathetic.

    It's my birthday in may followed by my son's birthday the week after so I'm always acutely aware of the weather that month. It's the inconsistency and unpredictability that gets me. Last year it was pouring and about 10įc on my birthday. 1 week later we were in the garden for my son's party, some of us huddling in the shade as the sun was relentless.

    And to make matters worse, the weather forecasters still can't get it right.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Just get a decent coat.
    No bad weather, just bad clothing ;)

    Unseasonal weather can be challenging, but ultimately re-invigorating, for plants and animals. Mild weather a couple of years back meant significant aphid numbers and attendant damage, for example.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    3,968
    No complaints about the rain from me. After a very dry April with virtually no rain itís great that see the plants and lawn looking so good and saves me an hour every night watering the ones in pots.

    Cheers
    Neil

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    287
    The weather has played havoc for home growers and allotment keepers: lots of frosts in April, so that the blossom on fruit trees got frosted out (less fruit later in the year), and early potatoes got damaged. Also having to water by hand (in April!). Now the cold and wet is delaying the growing season. If you sowed early, you may have to start again, as tender plants outdoors don't like the cold and wet - runner beans are a good example as something that hates the cold. I am in a clayey area, and I see some plots that are under water. Maybe try growing rice?

    I had the past week as annual leave, and I have not been able to do a lot of jobs on the allotment, such as washing the greenhouse and painting the shed.

    It is looking much better for next week, and I might eventually get my runner beans in the ground. Shame that I will be back at work.

  21. #21
    Master Man of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Garden of England
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    The weather has played havoc for home growers and allotment keepers: lots of frosts in April, so that the blossom on fruit trees got frosted out (less fruit later in the year), and early potatoes got damaged. Also having to water by hand (in April!). Now the cold and wet is delaying the growing season. If you sowed early, you may have to start again, as tender plants outdoors don't like the cold and wet - runner beans are a good example as something that hates the cold. I am in a clayey area, and I see some plots that are under water. Maybe try growing rice?

    I had the past week as annual leave, and I have not been able to do a lot of jobs on the allotment, such as washing the greenhouse and painting the shed.

    It is looking much better for next week, and I might eventually get my runner beans in the ground. Shame that I will be back at work.
    I put my tomatoes out during the week. I'm either foolish or brave but they were 2 foot high and desperate to get out. Deep planting, should be ok now. Normally putting beans, cucumbers and other tenders out this week in May but no chance of that yet.

    Sent from my XQ-AU51 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    36,302
    Don't understand all this fuss about the weather. Anyway, off out for a walk . . .






  23. #23
    Master vRSG60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Barrowford - Lancashire
    Posts
    2,944
    If I was younger than 40 thereís no way Iíd stay in this god forsaken hell hole. Too late at 61 . Last summer was pretty good, considering. But 1 decent summer in 7 isnít good enough . Itís the major let down for living in this country.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Master Gavbaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    If I was younger than 40 thereís no way Iíd stay in this god forsaken hell hole. Too late at 61 . Last summer was pretty good, considering. But 1 decent summer in 7 isnít good enough . Itís the major let down for living in this country.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What if your under 40 and you donít like summer, Should I stay? ;)

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Just changed into my third set of clothes today having taken the dog out twice. And I mean boxer shorts, the lot. My hands are numb and the poor mutt is shivering. Single figure temperature, lashing rain and blowing a hoolie. It's almost June FFS. We've had the heating on for eight straight months now, it's pathetic.

    I'm spending money on my garden renovation but I'm seriously questioning why. If we're lucky we maybe get five good days a year where you can actually enjoy the garden.

    I hate UK weather and can't see myself staying here in retirement, I'll need to spend six months a year out of this sh*t hole. Another 'summer' on the horizon of not being able to make any plans whatsoever that include being outside.
    I think it depends where you live in the uk tbh. Massive difference north to south (apologies for stating the obvious!) - the amount of times weíve had a sunny day in Norfolk and Iíve watched the evening news the night before with Ďsnow and hail in the northí forecast


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    5,279
    I have always liked the UK weather, going to permanently sunny climes is nice for a holiday but gets boring and my dog would get too hot!

    April was incredibly dry so itís only natural we get some rain, admittedly yesterday was not the best day as I photographed my first wedding in 18 months due to lockdowns but I worked with it and got it done, itís the UK and we have some of the most interesting weather in the world due to the Gulf Stream - enjoy it..

  27. #27
    Master Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    9,192
    Embrace the weather up 'ere David, that's why God's country is so green in Northumberland 🥶, mind you the Sunflowers are struggling a bit😁

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    swansea uk
    Posts
    2,022
    Winds were strong enough to near on ruin the 220 onion plants i had growing.

    Im amazed they have not rotted in the ground from all the rain also and temps are so bad my tomato plants are looking ill.

    Joke country as far as weather goes, i wish i was born in southern France.

  29. #29
    Master vRSG60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Barrowford - Lancashire
    Posts
    2,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    What if your under 40 and you donít like summer, Should I stay? ;)
    Perfect place for you ;-)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    After lockdown I do think the weather in May has been a disappointment after a winter largely spent indoors and keeping ourselves to ourselves. Mind you, if weíd had the opposite and beaches packed full of sun worshippers, the Covid virus would have been rubbing its hands with glee I fear, so every cloud and all that!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    Master Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Joke country as far as weather goes, i wish i was born in southern France.
    I was with a French girl for a number of years down in Toulon and spent about 3 weeks or so with her parents. It got unbearably hot and was glad to get back to a cooler climate.
    About August, Sept. time, it was interesting to see the blokes, desperate to get out of T's and shorts, and back into suites and winter gear😁

  32. #32
    Craftsman enndriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Newcastle UK
    Posts
    408

    Is it winter?

    Just a decent spell of fairly stable, warm weather would be good enough for me. When I think back to lockdown last year, for the first couple of months weather was glorious, and made a huge difference. Patio doors open every day, spending time with kids out in the garden, just made being stuck at home so much more bearable. 1 yr later and while my grass looks beautiful I canít venture out into the garden for more than 10mins without getting drenched or being desperate to get back inside and and put the heating on!

    There is a reason Brits are so desperate to go on holiday every year - look at the packed planes heading off to Portugal this week on first day of no travel ban. Mad really when nobody knows exactly what kind of experience awaits them at the airports or when they actually get there! Today looks promising tho so there is always hopeÖ.

  33. #33
    Master Yorkshiremadmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire man in Northumberland
    Posts
    2,375



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    25,347
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think it depends where you live in the uk tbh. Massive difference north to south (apologies for stating the obvious!) - the amount of times weíve had a sunny day in Norfolk and Iíve watched the evening news the night before with Ďsnow and hail in the northí forecast


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is the right answer.

    The OP is always complaining about the weather and lives in the most northern part of Britain.

    Can't expect a Riviera paradise ............like in the South.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  35. #35
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,289
    Any hope was short-lived. I was at Cochrane Park this morning watching football and it was bloody freezing and windy.

    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    Just a decent spell of fairly stable, warm weather would be good enough for me. When I think back to lockdown last year, for the first couple of months weather was glorious, and made a huge difference. Patio doors open every day, spending time with kids out in the garden, just made being stuck at home so much more bearable. 1 yr later and while my grass looks beautiful I canít venture out into the garden for more than 10mins without getting drenched or being desperate to get back inside and and put the heating on!

    There is a reason Brits are so desperate to go on holiday every year - look at the packed planes heading off to Portugal this week on first day of no travel ban. Mad really when nobody knows exactly what kind of experience awaits them at the airports or when they actually get there! Today looks promising tho so there is always hopeÖ.

  36. #36
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,289
    We had summers here in 2003, 2006 and 2015. That's three in 18.

    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    If I was younger than 40 thereís no way Iíd stay in this god forsaken hell hole. Too late at 61 . Last summer was pretty good, considering. But 1 decent summer in 7 isnít good enough . Itís the major let down for living in this country.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mid Glamorgan
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Is the right answer.

    The OP is always complaining about the weather and lives in the most northern part of Britain.

    Can't expect a Riviera paradise ............like in the South.
    Iím in the South. South Wales though, and itís barely stopped raining.

  38. #38
    Craftsman enndriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Newcastle UK
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Any hope was short-lived. I was at Cochrane Park this morning watching football and it was bloody freezing and windy.
    You are right - optimistically went out to clear the pools of rainwater gathered on the hot tub cover and noticed it was pretty baltic, also started to spit with rain

  39. #39
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    9,495
    My lawn is positively cheering itís good fortune at the moment.

  40. #40
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,289

  41. #41
    Master jimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    home of the "PARMO"
    Posts
    7,395
    Catterick was baltic last night, heres a picture from last week, wasnt as cold but interesting weather.


  42. #42
    Grand Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    11,177
    Paisley blue skies today

  43. #43
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,289
    Forecast looks twatful for the foreseeable. Max temps of 14 even in London with lots more wind and rain :)

  44. #44
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    5,028
    Total contrast to last year. Shitty spring/ start to summer. Baltic, wet and miserable. By this time last year in Scotland we'd had about 20+ glorious days. So far about 2.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    We had summers here in 2003, 2006 and 2015. That's three in 18.
    2018 was epic when we were in Devon. My eldest and I were there for the UK Open Laser Sailing Championship. One lady in the regatta office; she kept track of the results, told me: "This is my 27th UK Open and all had a 'lay-day' because of bad weather: wind or rain. This is the first one without a lay-day!

    Spring here is as terrible as in the UK. I did a 500 km round trip to the south today (sold my Submariner) and all 500 kms were wet!

    M.

  46. #46
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    36,302
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Forecast looks t***ful for the foreseeable. Max temps of 14 even in London with lots more wind and rain :)
    In a public area of the forum?

  47. #47
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,186
    It barely ever goes below 28c here (Ho Chi Minh), so I do sometimes miss the seasons.
    We have two here - dry season (October - April) and wet (May - September). We had an almighty storm on Thursday to welcome in the rainy season, and the temperature dropped to 25c. It was wonderful to stand out in it... until it started to go t*ts up.


  48. #48
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,375
    Lovely day yesterday (beautiful sunny walk in the hills) and another fine one today (DIY and gardening).


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  49. #49
    Master bigbaddes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Markinch, Fife.
    Posts
    1,309
    lawn survived winter better than expected (only been in this place 2 years)
    slow grass growth until about a week or so ago. usual weeding and feeding - only cut 3 times as yet this year.
    soil slowly warming up.

    the earliest sown seeds were very slow initially but getting better now.
    even the green house temps are nothing special but toms , sweetcorn and sunflowers doing ok.

    should be sitting on the patio sipping wine at this point but indoors and the heating is on !!! (in May!!!) !!!

    !!!

  50. #50
    It`s not cool to moan about the weather but..... this current `unsettled` spell is not funny any more.
    Mother nature has a way of balancing things out, and my god it seems it is pay back time for that glorious early spring and summer last year when we were all basking in susnshine on the start of our three-month lockdown holiday in the garden.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information