closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it winter?

Is it winter?

Just changed into my third set of clothes today having taken the dog out twice. And I mean boxer shorts, the lot. My hands are numb and the poor mutt is shivering. Single figure temperature, lashing rain and blowing a hoolie. It's almost June FFS. We've had the heating on for eight straight months now, it's pathetic.

I'm spending money on my garden renovation but I'm seriously questioning why. If we're lucky we maybe get five good days a year where you can actually enjoy the garden.

I hate UK weather and can't see myself staying here in retirement, I'll need to spend six months a year out of this sh*t hole. Another 'summer' on the horizon of not being able to make any plans whatsoever that include being outside.

It’s been a long winter for sure, and I’m missing my vitamin d fix.

However, having lived in Africa for a number of years, I missed the changeable seasons, and as for 4 seasons in one way, you have to appreciate the variety.

If you can’t change it, embrace it!

My heart goes out to you.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Just get a decent coat.

Honestly, get some perspective. You are so very lucky compared to so very many.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2g2VYJ2sxc

Jeez, I know that, I don't need to get any perspective. I'm having a moan about the weather. Is that OK? It's not like I'm moaning about the price of a used Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

I agree, it’s getting pretty depressing. After a brief glimpse of a few warmer days in April, have to say this has been the absolute shitest May I can remember in a long time. Cold, wet, and not funny anymore!

We're in / around the same city so yes, I agree :(

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    I agree, it’s getting pretty depressing. After a brief glimpse of a few warmer days in April, have to say this has been the absolute shitest May I can remember in a long time. Cold, wet, and not funny anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    We're in / around the same city so yes, I agree :(
    Haha yeah I always assume it’s equally crap everywhere, but on the rare occasions I venture down south it’s like being in a different country

Blog Entries
    Same weather here.

Checking the national rain forecast app on my phone before walking the dog to dodge the showers. Good thing is that a Rottweiler hates getting wet! Also on the bright side: I can split firewood under the carport! That, in a way, makes me happy: using a log-splitter when the rain comes down like crazy. Another positive thing: my freshly sown lawn is growing very fast.

Menno

was cycling today and nearly fell over a few times - horrid

Me? I laugh in the face of weather, there's neither bad or good, it is what it is. Wearing the right clothing and feeling some healthy weather on your skin is a long way better than being 6 feet under. Man up you pooves! (ALERT! Sense of humour required)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Me? I laugh in the face of weather, there's neither bad or good, it is what it is. Wearing the right clothing and feeling some healthy weather on your skin is a long way better than being 6 feet under. Man up you pooves! (ALERT! Sense of humour required)
    Now that’s a healthy sense of humour indeed.

Seems a bit OTT reminding him about droughts in Africa, it's just a Brit complaining about the weather...thought it was an accepted national passtime?

Well bearing in mind that the nights start drawing in less than a month from now, the weather is rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Just get a decent coat.
    😂😂

Master
    The weather this month has been pathetic.

It's my birthday in may followed by my son's birthday the week after so I'm always acutely aware of the weather that month. It's the inconsistency and unpredictability that gets me. Last year it was pouring and about 10°c on my birthday. 1 week later we were in the garden for my son's party, some of us huddling in the shade as the sun was relentless.

And to make matters worse, the weather forecasters still can't get it right.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Just get a decent coat.
    No bad weather, just bad clothing ;)

Unseasonal weather can be challenging, but ultimately re-invigorating, for plants and animals. Mild weather a couple of years back meant significant aphid numbers and attendant damage, for example.

Master
    No complaints about the rain from me. After a very dry April with virtually no rain it’s great that see the plants and lawn looking so good and saves me an hour every night watering the ones in pots.

Cheers
    Neil

Craftsman
    The weather has played havoc for home growers and allotment keepers: lots of frosts in April, so that the blossom on fruit trees got frosted out (less fruit later in the year), and early potatoes got damaged. Also having to water by hand (in April!). Now the cold and wet is delaying the growing season. If you sowed early, you may have to start again, as tender plants outdoors don't like the cold and wet - runner beans are a good example as something that hates the cold. I am in a clayey area, and I see some plots that are under water. Maybe try growing rice?

I had the past week as annual leave, and I have not been able to do a lot of jobs on the allotment, such as washing the greenhouse and painting the shed.

It is looking much better for next week, and I might eventually get my runner beans in the ground. Shame that I will be back at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    The weather has played havoc for home growers and allotment keepers: lots of frosts in April, so that the blossom on fruit trees got frosted out (less fruit later in the year), and early potatoes got damaged. Also having to water by hand (in April!). Now the cold and wet is delaying the growing season. If you sowed early, you may have to start again, as tender plants outdoors don't like the cold and wet - runner beans are a good example as something that hates the cold. I am in a clayey area, and I see some plots that are under water. Maybe try growing rice?

I had the past week as annual leave, and I have not been able to do a lot of jobs on the allotment, such as washing the greenhouse and painting the shed.

It is looking much better for next week, and I might eventually get my runner beans in the ground. Shame that I will be back at work.
    I put my tomatoes out during the week. I'm either foolish or brave but they were 2 foot high and desperate to get out. Deep planting, should be ok now. Normally putting beans, cucumbers and other tenders out this week in May but no chance of that yet.

Sent from my XQ-AU51 using Tapatalk

Don't understand all this fuss about the weather. Anyway, off out for a walk . . .

F.T.F.A.

If I was younger than 40 there’s no way I’d stay in this god forsaken hell hole. Too late at 61 . Last summer was pretty good, considering. But 1 decent summer in 7 isn’t good enough . It’s the major let down for living in this country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    If I was younger than 40 there’s no way I’d stay in this god forsaken hell hole. Too late at 61 . Last summer was pretty good, considering. But 1 decent summer in 7 isn’t good enough . It’s the major let down for living in this country.

What if your under 40 and you don’t like summer, Should I stay? ;)

Just changed into my third set of clothes today having taken the dog out twice. And I mean boxer shorts, the lot. My hands are numb and the poor mutt is shivering. Single figure temperature, lashing rain and blowing a hoolie. It's almost June FFS. We've had the heating on for eight straight months now, it's pathetic.

I'm spending money on my garden renovation but I'm seriously questioning why. If we're lucky we maybe get five good days a year where you can actually enjoy the garden.

I hate UK weather and can't see myself staying here in retirement, I'll need to spend six months a year out of this sh*t hole. Another 'summer' on the horizon of not being able to make any plans whatsoever that include being outside.
    I think it depends where you live in the uk tbh. Massive difference north to south (apologies for stating the obvious!) - the amount of times we’ve had a sunny day in Norfolk and I’ve watched the evening news the night before with ‘snow and hail in the north’ forecast

I have always liked the UK weather, going to permanently sunny climes is nice for a holiday but gets boring and my dog would get too hot!

April was incredibly dry so it’s only natural we get some rain, admittedly yesterday was not the best day as I photographed my first wedding in 18 months due to lockdowns but I worked with it and got it done, it’s the UK and we have some of the most interesting weather in the world due to the Gulf Stream - enjoy it..

Embrace the weather up 'ere David, that's why God's country is so green in Northumberland 🥶, mind you the Sunflowers are struggling a bit😁

Winds were strong enough to near on ruin the 220 onion plants i had growing.

Im amazed they have not rotted in the ground from all the rain also and temps are so bad my tomato plants are looking ill.

Joke country as far as weather goes, i wish i was born in southern France.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    What if your under 40 and you don’t like summer, Should I stay? ;)
    Perfect place for you ;-)

After lockdown I do think the weather in May has been a disappointment after a winter largely spent indoors and keeping ourselves to ourselves. Mind you, if we’d had the opposite and beaches packed full of sun worshippers, the Covid virus would have been rubbing its hands with glee I fear, so every cloud and all that!

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Joke country as far as weather goes, i wish i was born in southern France.
    I was with a French girl for a number of years down in Toulon and spent about 3 weeks or so with her parents. It got unbearably hot and was glad to get back to a cooler climate.
    About August, Sept. time, it was interesting to see the blokes, desperate to get out of T's and shorts, and back into suites and winter gear😁

Is it winter?

Just a decent spell of fairly stable, warm weather would be good enough for me. When I think back to lockdown last year, for the first couple of months weather was glorious, and made a huge difference. Patio doors open every day, spending time with kids out in the garden, just made being stuck at home so much more bearable. 1 yr later and while my grass looks beautiful I can’t venture out into the garden for more than 10mins without getting drenched or being desperate to get back inside and and put the heating on!

There is a reason Brits are so desperate to go on holiday every year - look at the packed planes heading off to Portugal this week on first day of no travel ban. Mad really when nobody knows exactly what kind of experience awaits them at the airports or when they actually get there! Today looks promising tho so there is always hope….

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think it depends where you live in the uk tbh. Massive difference north to south (apologies for stating the obvious!) - the amount of times we’ve had a sunny day in Norfolk and I’ve watched the evening news the night before with ‘snow and hail in the north’ forecast

Is the right answer.

The OP is always complaining about the weather and lives in the most northern part of Britain.

Can't expect a Riviera paradise ............like in the South.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Any hope was short-lived. I was at Cochrane Park this morning watching football and it was bloody freezing and windy.

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    Just a decent spell of fairly stable, warm weather would be good enough for me. When I think back to lockdown last year, for the first couple of months weather was glorious, and made a huge difference. Patio doors open every day, spending time with kids out in the garden, just made being stuck at home so much more bearable. 1 yr later and while my grass looks beautiful I can’t venture out into the garden for more than 10mins without getting drenched or being desperate to get back inside and and put the heating on!

There is a reason Brits are so desperate to go on holiday every year - look at the packed planes heading off to Portugal this week on first day of no travel ban. Mad really when nobody knows exactly what kind of experience awaits them at the airports or when they actually get there! Today looks promising tho so there is always hope….

We had summers here in 2003, 2006 and 2015. That's three in 18.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Is the right answer.

The OP is always complaining about the weather and lives in the most northern part of Britain.

Can't expect a Riviera paradise ............like in the South.
    I’m in the South. South Wales though, and it’s barely stopped raining.

Any hope was short-lived. I was at Cochrane Park this morning watching football and it was bloody freezing and windy.
    You are right - optimistically went out to clear the pools of rainwater gathered on the hot tub cover and noticed it was pretty baltic, also started to spit with rain

My lawn is positively cheering it’s good fortune at the moment.

Blog Entries
    Catterick was baltic last night, heres a picture from last week, wasnt as cold but interesting weather.

Paisley blue skies today

Forecast looks twatful for the foreseeable. Max temps of 14 even in London with lots more wind and rain :)

Master
    Total contrast to last year. Shitty spring/ start to summer. Baltic, wet and miserable. By this time last year in Scotland we'd had about 20+ glorious days. So far about 2.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    We had summers here in 2003, 2006 and 2015. That's three in 18.
    2018 was epic when we were in Devon. My eldest and I were there for the UK Open Laser Sailing Championship. One lady in the regatta office; she kept track of the results, told me: "This is my 27th UK Open and all had a 'lay-day' because of bad weather: wind or rain. This is the first one without a lay-day!

Spring here is as terrible as in the UK. I did a 500 km round trip to the south today (sold my Submariner) and all 500 kms were wet!

M.

Forecast looks t***ful for the foreseeable. Max temps of 14 even in London with lots more wind and rain :)
    In a public area of the forum?
    F.T.F.A.

It barely ever goes below 28c here (Ho Chi Minh), so I do sometimes miss the seasons.
    We have two here - dry season (October - April) and wet (May - September). We had an almighty storm on Thursday to welcome in the rainy season, and the temperature dropped to 25c. It was wonderful to stand out in it... until it started to go t*ts up.

Lovely day yesterday (beautiful sunny walk in the hills) and another fine one today (DIY and gardening).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

lawn survived winter better than expected (only been in this place 2 years)
    slow grass growth until about a week or so ago. usual weeding and feeding - only cut 3 times as yet this year.
    soil slowly warming up.

the earliest sown seeds were very slow initially but getting better now.
    even the green house temps are nothing special but toms , sweetcorn and sunflowers doing ok.

should be sitting on the patio sipping wine at this point but indoors and the heating is on !!! (in May!!!) !!!

!!!

It`s not cool to moan about the weather but..... this current `unsettled` spell is not funny any more.
    Mother nature has a way of balancing things out, and my god it seems it is pay back time for that glorious early spring and summer last year when we were all basking in susnshine on the start of our three-month lockdown holiday in the garden.