closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wood finishing advice sought

Master

Wood finishing advice sought

Hi... Grateful for advice from the experienced. I need to refinish my solid oak kitchen worktops which haven't had any attention for some years, and then it was a quick sand down and a rub up with Danish oil. This time I am under strict instructions to do the job properly.... they have a few water stains and the colour seems to have faded around the sink and the hob. I will obviously have to be a lot more thorough with the sanding but I am wondering if Danish oil is the best possible treatment for it, or if there is something newer and better on the market. Given the fact that drying times are a serious issue in the kitchen I would prefer a one cost solution.

As always many thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

I've tried a number of different treatments and settled on the Osmo range for both the kitchen surfaces and doors.

For kitchens we've used a basecoat of Osmo Wood Protector, followed by three coats of Osmo Topoil. IME, better than Danish/Tung/Linseed/Teak oils

https://osmouk.com/interior-products/

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Another vote for Osmo. Sanded down our jacobean oak dining table (yuk) and finished off with 2 coats of Polyx. Very hard waring and not shiny. If you want to maintain the colour of the wood as it's meant to be some of the range has a tiny amount of a white coloured additive to negate the darkening of the grain by the liquid.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Another vote for top oil - that’s what I finished my oak worktops off with.
    Are you removing the hob and sink to get a good finish?
    I liked mine with a satin finish - practice, I did find there was a technique
    Was a few years ago but a good food safe product
    Top oil by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 21st May 2021 at 07:18.

Another vote for Osmo, lasts much longer than oil and is hard wearing against cups of tea etc.