closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai 42mm submersibles

Master

Panerai 42mm submersibles

I have always loved the submersible range from Panerai. Beautiful watch , made for purpose with great wrist presence. But my thin “ish” wrists have always held me back.

Then the 42mm range was introduced and I managed to land a beauty from Kash

The 959 is a beauty and gets so many great comments , especially from people not usually bothered with watches.
    The blue of the bezel is the nicest colour I’ve ever seen on a watch.
    They grey dial I adore too. The watch feels more party than tool , and something in me wanted a more “functional” look.
    I then realised Panerai had released the 1209 limited ( 500 pieces) for sale on their website only. Basically the same watch with a black face. At this point I lost all rationale and the watch lover in me wanted that to .......... and so I did !

I know. Totally illogical. Although a very close friend is taking advantage and has “ loaned “ the 959 !
    The picture is in poor light I’m afraid.
    The blue of the bezel is absolutely gorgeous , and the black face gives this more purpose in my eyes.
    Watchitis is a dangerous disease indeed !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks cracking!

You think watchitis is bad, now you have a Pam, strapitis here you come!!

Beautiful duo! Was also attracted to the grey dial one but did not go through with it.

Lovely! How thin is thinnish wrist wise?

Definitely a great colour

Master
    Love the colours on the 959, but am a little cautious about 42mm. I tried one in Laings a few years ago and was unsure. I am more of a 44/47mm guy I feel.
    The grey/blue combination looks the same colour combination as the Nery edition of my favourite sub, but the cost is a bit scary. I'll have to stick with my 614 for a while.
    Ps what strap is that on the 959? It looks very like the corrigia canvas that I have for my 243.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hmm was never into Panerais but the black dial is a stunner. I have absolutely puny wrists though. 6” to be exact. Fat hope of putting it off! Enjoy in good health.

42mm is a good size.
    Here is my 0683

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Love the colours on the 959, but am a little cautious about 42mm. I tried one in Laings a few years ago and was unsure. I am more of a 44/47mm guy I feel.
    The grey/blue combination looks the same colour combination as the Nery edition of my favourite sub, but the cost is a bit scary. I'll have to stick with my 614 for a while.
    Ps what strap is that on the 959? It looks very like the corrigia canvas that I have for my 243.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    One of Panerai’s own. I’m going to get the same, but with blue stitching so all one colour 👍🏼

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    42mm is a good size.
    Here is my 0683

This is a beautiful one too. The third of the trio. But I couldn’t resist this blue bezel !!

Master

This almost captures how stunning this bezel is. Although taken in restaurant toilet

Particularly like the 1209 John. If logic came into it, we'd all be wearing £50 quartz jobbies from Argos.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Particularly like the 1209 John. If logic came into it, we'd all be wearing £50 quartz jobbies from Argos.

Haha. As another chronic long term Watchitis sufferer John , I knew you’d normalise it 😂👍🏼

Master
    I'm a huge fan of the 42mm submersibles. I had an early 682 and a 959. Both I've sold and both I slightly regret selling (if I'd known Kash was selling that 959, I might have bought it from him). My wrist is under 6.5" and I find the case size perfect. In fact, I still maintain the 42mm submersible is one of the best watch cases I've ever worn. The Panerai accordion strap is also marvelous.

I still think they'd look better without a date, but that's just my ludicrous date hate.

I hear there are rumors of another 42mm submersible release this year 🙂

simon

Master
    These are great. I just wish it didnt have the Cartier movements and actually used the Panerai movements.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the 42mm submersibles. I had an early 682 and a 959. Both I've sold and both I slightly regret selling (if I'd known Kash was selling that 959, I might have bought it from him). My wrist is under 6.5" and I find the case size perfect. In fact, I still maintain the 42mm submersible is one of the best watch cases I've ever worn. The Panerai accordion strap is also marvelous.

I still think they'd look better without a date, but that's just my ludicrous date hate.

I hear there are rumors of another 42mm submersible release this year 

simon
    there is a white dial one coming....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    there is a white dial one coming....
    Oh dear. This is going to be an expensive year !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    These are great. I just wish it didnt have the Cartier movements and actually used the Panerai movements.
    Is the P.900 a Cartier movement ? I thought it was in house . Shows what I know !!!

Edit .... the new P.900 is in house I think ?!
    Last edited by Oranges10; 21st May 2021 at 12:48.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post
    Is the P.900 a Cartier movement ? I thought it was in house . Shows what I know !!!

Edit .... the new P.900 is in house I think ?!
    It’s a Richemont movement. They rebranded the OP XXXIV to ape the Panerai in-house naming convention. Their plan seems to have worked though. And this is why I don’t care for the brand, I simply don’t trust them. See also, the silent replacement of the 1313/1314’s hacking movement with a non hacking, less elaborately decorated movement, all the while keeping the exact same movement reference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    It’s a Richemont movement. They rebranded the OP XXXIV to ape the Panerai in-house naming convention. Their plan seems to have worked though. And this is why I don’t care for the brand, I simply don’t trust them. See also, the silent replacement of the 1313/1314’s hacking movement with a non hacking, less elaborately decorated movement, all the while keeping the exact same movement reference.

Haha. I now realise what a watch novice I am !!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post
    Haha. I now realise what a watch novice I am !!!
    Not your fault because they make it difficult to ascertain. I just don't understand why panerai repeatedly need to "COST-CUT" at every possible opportunity. Prices keep going up but quality just keeps reducing. Just dun get it. Increasing prices is fine, its a luixury product, we get it. Just get the quality right also.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Not your fault because they make it difficult to ascertain. I just don't understand why panerai repeatedly need to "COST-CUT" at every possible opportunity. Prices keep going up but quality just keeps reducing. Just dun get it. Increasing prices is fine, its a luixury product, we get it. Just get the quality right also.
    To them it must be a tiny financial gain, really doesn’t seem worth it when damage to reputation could be significant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    To them it must be a tiny financial gain, really doesn’t seem worth it when damage to reputation could be significant.
    Likely to be short term financial people running the company and not those looking to simply have a great product. Richemont owner is letting them run a pricing model that worked for other parts of his (ex)empire but not for this......

Anyway after this thread I looked at a 42mm submersible this weekend. Was only in the window but was too small for me / how I think this model should look. I know 47mm is too big for me (tried and failed a few times with other PAM models). So that leaves the 44mm, but not much choice there.....

Panerai 42mm submersibles

Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    It was more the taking of a Baume & Mercier Baumatic movement, switching out the antimagnetic silicone components, losing the extended power reserve, then putting it in a watch at 3x the price.

If it wasn’t for this I would really like the 42mm Submersibles.

Dave

Last edited by helidoc; 23rd May 2021 at 19:45.

Lovely watches, and very much on my radar (Kash!).