timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tudor event on May 25th

Journeyman
    Yawn....what an average release

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    My prayers for a thinner GMT were not answered.

Am I the only one to notice quite a strong move against omega there?
    For 3550£, it's metas certified and stated to be able to resist up to 15000 gauss...

Tudor event on May 25th

Least it was actually a watch i suppose, but does nothing for me.

Black bay line is in danger of heading the same way as most of Seikos recent divers - being watered down by every dial/case colour combination under the sun

What a disappointment.

A watch in a case material that I have no interest in.

In a 41mm size that I have no interest in.

Always fancied a ceramic case but not sure that’s the one

Pass

One for the David Beckham types.

Shame its a 41mm, at 39mm maybe!?

By the feel of the posts, not well received!
    My own thoughts, not another Black Bay, to me it appears as if Rolex/Tudor have no creativity within their ranks, will this be available to buy, I guess not.
    Trotting out the same old same old all the time with a tiny variation and then not making them readily available, well it’s all been said before.

Well that was boring...

Craftsman
    I don't mind the case material/design, the bezels should have been ceramic all along on the BB range.
    It's the wrong size though, what reason did they have for doing it in 41mm, so slab sided.

Imagine being the buyer of the 2019 Tudor Black Bay Ceramic for Onlywatch - I'd be pissed off right about now!
    You've spent that huge premium for a watch is technically inferior and looks 99% the same for something now offered at £3550.

Solid meh, nothing remarkable.

Master
    What’s the link to Marine Nationale or am I missing something?

Tudor event on May 25th

It can go in the water.

Not Tudor’’s finest hour.
    Last edited by OldHooky; 25th May 2021 at 13:28.

Apprentice
    Yeah, I could've seen picking it up at 39 - though a vintage blue snowflake sub would've had us lined up around the block at ADs...

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Shame its a 41mm, at 39mm maybe!?

So much negativity!

They get shot down if they release a different colour as being not original enough, shot down if they release a different material as being not steel enough, shot down for releasing a Black Bay as it's watering down the line, shot down for not releasing a black bay because we want more of them, shot down no matter what size they release as it's either to big, thick, small, has the wrong shaped hands or somewhere in the middle, shot down if they release something unusual as being not black bay enough and at the same time constantly shot down for not releasing a Sub which we all know (1) won't fly with the mothership, (2) would directly compete with their most successful line, and (3) would have no historic meaning to the vast majority of their customer base.

I for one think this was an interesting release. Will I buy one? Nope. But it sure beats the MN collab strap I was expecting.
    Last edited by M1011; 25th May 2021 at 23:09. Reason: Typo

Tudor is the horological equivalent of supporting Tottenham Hotspur - you look forward to the season starting and then…..😭😭

Interesting. If only they'd released the ceramic a few weeks ago when I bought my BB... oh well.

It's almost as though they are being deliberately contrary which is an interesting marketing strategy.

Given the amount of dogs in their range overall they really need to get these divers right imo.

Just noticed from the spec sheet that the crown, outer bezel and caseback are all PVD so that finishes it for me as PVD always ends up chipping or wearing through.

I'm sure that voiceover is the guy from Blown Away on Netflix, the glass blowing version of Bake Off.

Wonder how thick it is with that exhibition caseback. 41mm Black Bay isn't exactly slim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Am I the only one to notice quite a strong move against omega there?
    For 3550£, it's metas certified and stated to be able to resist up to 15000 gauss...
    I agree, seems like they are copying Omega from a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm sure that voiceover is the guy from Blown Away on Netflix, the glass blowing version of Bake Off.

Wonder how thick it is with that exhibition caseback. 41mm Black Bay isn't exactly slim.
    On Tudor’s Instagram page they confirmed 14.4mm thickness

Tudor hold their value well in a lot of cases. This ceramic bb though will be available inside a year under retail I think.

No mention of MN so I guess that collab is still to be launched officially

If, and it's a big if, opinions here are reflective of wider public opinion then surely it's a huge own goal for Tudor?

I really want to like Tudor but the insistence of putting leather straps on dive watches really annoys me (potentially unfounded annoyance) plus i struggle to understand their whole portfolio.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

"Sixty years of TUDOR diving history distilled into one truly iconic watch."

A watch that couldn't be recommended for scuba diving with, given that the bezel markings offer zero contrast.

I like it though, but I wish Rolex/Tudor would drop the marketing BS and admit that watches like this, and the new Explorer are most definitely not designed with divers and explorers in mind.

I, for one, really like this watch. Do I wish it was a couple of mm smaller? Absolutely but I will wait to see one first hand before deciding if that 41mm case puts me off.

I do like the Black Bay range in general and this one, at £3550, seems to be priced pretty well for the spec. I wouldn’t be surprised if I see one in my collection at some point.

Journeyman
    Well, that was disappointing.

SydR
    Well I can keep my money in my pocket for a while longer.

I was ready to call the AD first thing this morning if needed.

I didn't call. I like the Black Bay line but the 41mm version is a bit larger diameter-wise than I prefer and way too thick. Also, I have absolutely no need for a ceramic watch and really don't get the appeal of them. One errant slip and you might be needing a new and very expensive case.

I see the resident noodle wrists are up in tiny arms.

Too thick, maybe, but 41mm is not overly wide for a watch with a bezel imho.

The presentation though... oh dear. The voice, the attempt to market outdated tech to a younger audience 'Magnet PROOF'.
    I like my Tudor, I even like the look of this ceramic but... eww.

Craftsman
    It would have been good to announce a new bracelet with 5 rather than 3 micro adjustments or the availability of a half link
    So that more people can get the bracelet to fit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually quite like it. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    I

I do like the Black Bay range in general and this one, at £3550, seems to be priced pretty well for the spec.
    Shots fired at Omega with their ceramic cased Seamaster at over £6k. Plus master chronometer spec and display case back to stick the boot in.

Tudor get so many column inches in the watch press, but they don’t really have many truly great pieces, save the Pelagos and BB58. They’d better do something before the ‘vintage dive watch with a twist’ fashion moves on. They certainly don’t seem to have many ideas about design.

Master
    I know this sounds daft, childish even, but when I see a ceramic cased watch I always think of my late grandmum, who did 'tea' with porcelain cups & saucers, china in other words.
    The text on face is now minimalistic, BB & Master chronometer, which will appeal to all those over the years have moaned about six lines of text, i.e. Pelagos.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    A watch that can work correctly and a warranty repair time much less than 4 months would be a good start...
    Beat me to it and more succinct than I would have been too…

Nothing exciting. Nothing wrong with the watch either, expected criticism from expected quarters not withstanding.
    I am not going to rush out to buy it but wouldn’t turn it down if offered for free:-).
    I am sure it will enough.

It wasn't what I wanted to be released (SuB), but I think I will get one. Legibility is my current steer, and that looks to fit the bill.

Shame about the bezel material though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    It wasn't what I wanted to be released (SuB), but I think I will get one. Legibility is my current steer, and that looks to fit the bill.

Shame about the bezel material though.
    Legibility of the bezel is terrible though - and I say that as a self confessed Tudor fanboy. Saw this pic on Instagram of it and genuinely had to zoom in to be able to see numbers.

The watch looks - well, exactly like a black cased black bay with a black dial and bezel, yes it’s ceramic blah blah but it’s a black version of a watch - meh. But it looks ok. What I really didn’t like was the awful voiceover on their video. It had never occurred to me how awful the brand sounds the way it’s mispronounced by Americans - Tooder. The Tooder Black Bay. Sounds like a fungal disease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I won’t be timing my steaks with that . Can’t see a bloody thing on the bezel.
    I assume timing food is what a bezel on a watch is for ?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Legibility of the bezel is terrible though - and I say that as a self confessed Tudor fanboy. Saw this pic on Instagram of it and genuinely had to zoom in to be able to see numbers.
    I don't need to see the bezel numbers, as I never use them.

I want a legible hands to dial, and this has it, so good enough for me. But then I also own that hideous P01, that slab sided Heritage Chrono and that awful blue Pelagos.

It's all down to taste... of which it is abundantly obvious, I have none

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I don't need to see the bezel numbers, as I never use them.

I want a legible hands to dial, and this has it, so good enough for me. But then I also own that hideous P01, that slab sided Heritage Chrono and that awful blue Pelagos.

It's all down to taste... of which it is abundantly obvious, I have none
    I hear you - but a dive watch with a bezel insert you can’t read is ludicrous. Not even a lume pip at 12. No bracelet either. Just a miss all round for me. Movement superb too so it’s a bloody shame.

I really like it.

If the only reason we bought watches was the "need" for it to do one specific thing we'd only have a BP 50 Fathoms, a Zenith Pilot, a Rolex Explorer, a G-shock and an Apple Watch to choose from. All with one dial colour.

Sometimes watches are made because people like the concept. 95% of dive watches aren't used by divers and, of those that are, 100% aren't necessary because of modern dive computers.

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    I really like it.

If the only reason we bought watches was the "need" for it to do one specific thing we'd only have a BP 50 Fathoms, a Zenith Pilot, a Rolex Explorer, a G-shock and an Apple Watch to choose from. All with one dial colour.

Sometimes watches are made because people like the concept. 95% of dive watches aren't used by divers and, of those that are, 100% aren't necessary because of modern dive computers.
    Point is that 95% could be used though. I doubt this could.

Journeyman
    Well it’s a black watch that will stay black unlike these other coating techniques but if it appears to be true I’m not fan of the fact that the crown is not ceramic.

It is isn’t a dive watch, it is a fashion dive watch. Unusable for diving due to that bezel

Personally, I was hoping for something more interesting but if I wanted another BB with a interesting case material then I would go for the Silver BB58.

Will be interesting to see if that movement makes its way into the rest of the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaw View Post
    Well it’s a black watch that will stay black unlike these other coating techniques but if it appears to be true I’m not fan of the fact that the crown is not ceramic.
    The crown, caseback, and bezel are all PVD coated which helps explain the rrp being competitive. Mid case and bezel insert are ceramic.

Fashion watch with a decent movement imo.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    The crown, caseback, and bezel are all PVD coated which helps explain the rrp being competitive. Mid case and bezel insert are ceramic.

Fashion watch with a decent movement imo.
    I’ve had a fair few G shocks with PVD bracelets - and CWC divers - and none has worn through to show steel beneath, so in my experience they are more than tough enough. I had a Tag Heuer diver in the 80’s where the coating flaked off but it’s never happened on a newer watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk