TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Silver or White

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silver

8 25.00%
  • White

24 75.00%

Thread: GS Quartz 9F....Silver or white?

Master

GS Quartz 9F....Silver or white?

Silver or white?

Pictures borrowed.

i

Last edited by Dave in Wales; 20th May 2021 at 12:50.

I am wearing the white today and it is stunningly white. Don’t know if that helps or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    I am wearing the white today and it is stunningly white. Don’t know if that helps or not!

WOW!....thank you.

White.

Blog Entries
    It would help to see real world examples. That white looks very white indeed - and much better than the GS mug shots which look almost like PS images.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Here’s another shot with less reflection

I'd say white but you'd really need some real world pics and not the traditionally awful Seiko website pics.

Blog Entries
    I personally plumped for a champagne dial on an SBGP001 which, evidently, is the dial that takes longest to make according to one YT video I was watching. Either way, thrilled with it.

Would have to be white for me. Great watch. Here's some pics, I don't own one anymore but thought it might be useful for comparison.

Last edited by M1011; 20th May 2021 at 22:36.

I love the GS champagne dial so I'd choose that over the more sterile white.

The white is beautiful, but for me the silver (or champagne, as I call it) dial is preferable.

As noted above, it looks deceptively simple but actually has quite a few stages in production.

Two of those are plating with gold & silver at different stages (with a ton of buffing & polishing inbetween), which means that depending upon the light the dial shifts between a rich, golden, champagne colour, and a colder, silver tone.

That changing character is a huge part of why I like it so much.

There's a few videos online to look at - flat, dull pictures (especially those used to sell them) rarely do a Grand Seiko justice, it's better to see how the light sparkles & plays over the finishing & dial.

Master
    Prefer the white, personally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    The white is beautiful, but for me the silver (or champagne, as I call it) dial is preferable.

As noted above, it looks deceptively simple but actually has quite a few stages in production.

Two of those are plating with gold & silver at different stages (with a ton of buffing & polishing inbetween), which means that depending upon the light the dial shifts between a rich, golden, champagne colour, and a colder, silver tone.

That changing character is a huge part of why I like it so much.

There's a few videos online to look at - flat, dull pictures (especially those used to sell them) rarely do a Grand Seiko justice, it's better to see how the light sparkles & plays over the finishing & dial.
    I'm leaning towards the silver I think, although the poll at the moment 15/5 in favour of white.

Neither silver or white (of the two I think I'd go white), my vote would be champagne. As already said, it can look silver in some lights and a deeper true champagne in others.

SBGX063

SBGX063

SBGX063

Master
    White by a country mile. In my mind looks more refined and expensive than the silver. (only judging by the supplied images above).

Champagne by a whisker

Master
    Champagne would be my choice, even though I like white dials they can be a little stark/cold by comparison.

Master
    I prefer white against SS.

Cardshark's champagne dial is simply lovely. That by a long way for me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    I personally plumped for a champagne dial on an SBGP001 which, evidently, is the dial that takes longest to make according to one YT video I was watching. Either way, thrilled with it.

Would you happen to remember the vid, I can't seem to find it, I'd be very interested.

TIA

From my experience of GS light coloured dials, I’d choose the one where the hands contrast most against the background. Out of bright light, reading the time can become problematic.

Purely by preference of dial colour, I voted for the White

Master
    In the flesh, I found the white a little bland so would choose the silver (which is actually champagne). The watches shown are SBGX models but, as long as you have the budget and your wrists aren't tiny, I would go for an SBGV model.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post

Can you share the link to that video please? I recently tried the blue version of the sbgp and was indeed captured by the white/champagne unexpectedly.

Update: I think it’s this one. Mentions 12 steps for the dial making process, more steps than a snowflake dial (quoting the video).

https://youtu.be/tNRVUpI71u4
    Last edited by Glen Goyne; 24th May 2021 at 09:10.