closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help. Strap broke on ebay listed watch

Craftsman

Help. Strap broke on ebay listed watch

I have a watch listed on eBay and was doing quite well with the bids. But then not sure how it happened I was cleaning it and the rubber strap broke in two. Very annoying.

The listings ends on Sunday. I had a look to see if I could buy another original strap but there is none available, it’s a 10+ year old watch. Also the strap is not standard.

Not exactly sure what to do in this circumstance. Obviously can’t send watch in current condition.

Do I have to cancel the listing? Thoughts most appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d end the listing and start again. Even if you’re upfront with the winner, before posting, you’d look like you had wasted their time, or worse, dishonest.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post

I have a watch listed on eBay and was doing quite well with the bids. But then not sure how it happened I was cleaning it and the rubber strap broke in two. Very annoying.

The listings ends on Sunday. I had a look to see if I could buy another original strap but there is none available, it’s a 10+ year old watch. Also the strap is not standard.

Not exactly sure what to do in this circumstance. Obviously can’t send watch in current condition.

Do I have to cancel the listing? Thoughts most appreciated.

Have you considered typing “ luminox watch strap” into the eBay search box?

It may well be that you can buy a strap for the watch.

Craftsman
    Just note that eBay will probably penalise you for ending the auction early. You will have to take it on the chin.

Master
    I think you are usually OK if you cancel the auction with the reason "the item was lost or broken" or similar which in this case is of course true!

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Just note that eBay will probably penalise you for ending the auction early. You will have to take it on the chin.
    No they wont, there are boxes provided to tick as the reason for ending early, item broken is one of them and ebay will be fine with it (unless the OP is doing it regularly which seems extremely unlikely given the tone of his post).

Can you still edit the description? Be upfront and give the bidders a chance to retract if they want.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    No they wont, there are boxes provided to tick as the reason for ending early, item broken is one of them and ebay will be fine with it (unless the OP is doing it regularly which seems extremely unlikely given the tone of his post).
    Agreed - this happens a lot. eBay won’t care unless there is suspicious direct messaging around it. Also presume you will relist when sorted or as is so they will see nothing underhand went on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Can you still edit the description? Be upfront and give the bidders a chance to retract if they want.
    He can, but I wouldn't recommend that, one of the existing bidders may well win it without looking at the listing again and it is now broken. Ending the listing, getting a new strap, and then relisting in the future is by far the best option.

I think you can only add 'additional information' rather than amend the existing text.

Personally, I would cancel the bids, end the listing as 'an error in the listing'

Then relist the item accurately describing the current condition. Got any spare straps to throw in just to make it more attractive to bidders.

This looks like it on Amazon - long waits and ouchy price tho'...

Saner price on ebay for Chinese unbranded, but got to wait for weeks if my recent experiences are anything to go by.

Master
    I’d end it and start again

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    This looks like it on Amazon - long waits and ouchy price tho'...

Saner price on ebay for Chinese unbranded, but got to wait for weeks if my recent experiences are anything to go by.
    That’s exactly the strap! Shame a bit on the price side. That aftermarket one looks good though. Think I may as well buy that and wait. Many thanks for sending those links

Craftsman
    Appreciate all the replies guys. I’ve gone ahead and ended the listing. Shame, the highest bid was more than I thought it would go for, but oh well.

Why don’t you contact the highest bidder explain the situation and ask if they still want it if you knock off the price of a new strap. If they do, relist it ‘buy it now’ at high price but with best offer option and they can send you an offer at agreed
    price for you to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Why don’t you contact the highest bidder explain the situation and ask if they still want it if you knock off the price of a new strap. If they do, relist it ‘buy it now’ at high price but with best offer option and they can send you an offer at agreed
    price for you to confirm.
    That could get you into trouble.
    The only way to contact the bidder is through the ebay message system and they monitor it
    If they think you are trying to deal off ebay there will be sanctions.

Any discussion of price would look like that, no matter what your intentions.
    As any one can tell you who has been on the end of an ebay sanction it is not a discussion process, Ebay will not listen to anything you say but will just follow their procedures

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The only way to contact the bidder is through the ebay message system and they monitor it

As any one can tell you who has been on the end of an ebay sanction it is not a discussion process, Ebay will not listen to anything you say but will just follow their procedures
    Rubbish. He's offering a partial refund for an issue with the watch - it's got nothing to do with dealing outside eBay. I've done exactly the same thing on eBay with items where I've discovered an issue.

OP - I would either end and relist, or leave it, then message the highest bidder, say it's just happened and offer a partial refund in the amount of a new strap.

Master
    Just safer to end it and either realist it with a new original, new am strap or no strap
    As above there is always the change it will go wrong and you’ll end up seriously out of pocket- badly advertised etc- eBay will side with the buyer
    I sold a watch on eBay a few months ago- Guy made me an offer and I accepted- on receipt he said it was not as good as expected (I had listed it with many pics)- asked for a partial refund which I did (20%)—ffw 9 weeks he says it’s stopped overnight and wants a full refund

Not correct as someone else has said, I have done this or similar before with no issue and EBay won’t care as they
    will end up with the sale, they only care if you did something like this but then ended up selling it directly cutting them out.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Rubbish. He's offering a partial refund for an issue with the watch - it's got nothing to do with dealing outside eBay. I've done exactly the same thing on eBay with items where I've discovered an issue.

OP - I would either end and relist, or leave it, then message the highest bidder, say it's just happened and offer a partial refund in the amount of a new strap.
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Not correct as someone else has said, I have done this or similar before with no issue and EBay won’t care as they
    will end up with the sale, they only care if you did something like this but then ended up selling it directly cutting them out.
    Well I was on the other end of a discussion like this and the seller got a warning and a 7 day suspension, just because it didn't happen to you does not make it rubbish or incorrect, just not your experience

IMO the OP has done the right thing. Pull the listing and start again, then you don't take any chances with the inconsistant attitude of ebay moderators.

Well I was on the other end of a discussion like this and the seller got a warning and a 7 day suspension, just because it didn't happen to you does not make it rubbish or incorrect, just not your experience

IMO the OP has done the right thing. Pull the listing and start again, then you don't take any chances with the inconsistant attitude of ebay moderators.
    That’s exactly what we suggested, end it and relist if the potential buyer is still interested, you can now even send an offer
    to someone who asks a question. You will have cancelled your listing for a legitimate reason and the message to the buyer would confirm this. Why would EBay have a problem with this if they get their fee?