closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kurono Tokyo Toki (salmon dial): you will have 10 minutes to order it...

I was referring to the ones sold through the Japanese retailer TicTac. These are branded Chrono

https://www.neuve-a.net/TiCTAC/shop/c/c100634/

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I was referring to the ones sold through the Japanese retailer TicTac. These are branded Chrono

TT
    These are very nice indeed, are they not a tad more expensive than the limited edition ones?

I am now very tempted to try one of these.

I am not sure of the relative pricing as it will depend very much on the exchange rate at the time, plus the local price includes 10% sales tax and of course, is retailer-distributed rather than online.

The Chrono Tokyo ones are sort of limited too, in that they are made in batches of 100 and (in my experience to date) appear to be replaced with a slightly new dial design or colour after one batch.

The chronograph Chrono (it seems weird writing that!) is very nice and has a pulsations scale for the first 16 seconds, followed by a tachymeter. The first 16 seconds on a tachymeter being only good for unrealistic speeds, but perfect for a pulse check. It is well designed. As are the three-handers.

Plus you can just walk into a TicTac shop (or their online shop noted above) and buy one. At least, until I posted this perhaps...

I am not sure of the relative pricing as it will depend very much on the exchange rate at the time, plus the local price includes 10% sales tax and of course, is retailer-distributed rather than online.

The Chrono Tokyo ones are sort of limited too, in that they are made in batches of 100 and (in my experience to date) appear to be replaced with a slightly new dial design or colour after one batch.

The chronograph Chrono (it seems weird writing that!) is very nice and has a pulsations scale for the first 16 seconds, followed by a tachymeter. The first 16 seconds on a tachymeter being only good for unrealistic speeds, but perfect for a pulse check. It is well designed. As are the three-handers.

Plus you can just walk into a TicTac shop (or their online shop noted above) and buy one. At least, until I posted this perhaps...
    I didn’t realise there was an additional tax that may be the reason for the price difference I assumed it would be removed for an overseas buyer. Not speaking Japanese probably doesn’t help me much either :)

Will need to have a proper look at the website later these do look very nice the whole “10 minute order 12 month wait”. Put me off buying before.

It’s not even so much the wait, I am used to that with Dornbluth it’s the whole feeding frenzy to buy that puts me off.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Thanks for explaining, understand now why the JDM models are branded differently
    +1

A most excellent explanation

Thanks

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TT
    I understand these will now be new old stock as they retired the Chrono Tokyo brand last year.

Once these have gone that will be it and so these are more likely to be rarer than the recent anniversary edition if that is important to you!

I just really liked the colour the anniversary as well as the connection

Master
    If anyone wants mine when it’s ready I’d probably sell it. Don’t think I need 3 kurono/chrono Tokyo’s! My order confirmation arrived at 10:02.

Just for interest, a closer view of the dial and case back on the Chrono versions...

Very similar to my 60's era Citizen (posted above), for example the indices overhanging the stepped dial.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I understand these will now be new old stock as they retired the Chrono Tokyo brand last year.
    I am not sure. I am talking about the TicTac collaboration models, which are all branded Chrono. The most recent of which were released in late December 2020, which would be odd if the brand was retired.

Maybe it was retired for the non-TicTac versions? He doesn't release new models often, so unlikely to know until/unless there is a new TicTac collaboration released this year. (Unless you have info that the TicTac models are "retired" too?)

I am not sure. I am talking about the TicTac collaboration models, which are all branded Chrono. The most recent of which were released in late December 2020, which would be odd if the brand was retired.

Maybe it was retired for the non-TicTac versions? He doesn't release new models often, so unlikely to know until/unless there is a new TicTac collaboration released this year. (Unless you have info that the TicTac models are "retired" too?)
    Have a read of this really interesting article but this quote stands out;

“On January 3, the Kurono Tokyo Facebook page revealed that “effective from 2021, all global and domestic markets will be consolidated under the #kuronotokyo brand name.”

https://grail-watch.com/2021/03/01/h...-tokyo/#Models

You're right. That's a useful page too. According to which, the Chrono ones are indeed more limited.

I don't have a FB account so can't read the announcement. It was odd, Hajime Asaoka gave a long interview to promote the Chrono-branded chronos (this is getting hard, perhaps there's a reason...) released in Dec 2020 and mentioned nothing about retiring the brand. Maybe I should pop out tomorrow to my local TicTac (there are two within walking distance) and scoop up the remainder #jokingpleasenopms

The interview was published on Dec 22, 2020 and is worth a look just for the pictures: https://www.neuve-a.net/shop/pages/s_TT_serial03.aspx but those interested in the text can run it through translate.

Master
    Got my email about delivery, I’ve been quoted June to August! So must have been fairly quick depending when it actually arrives.

Also got confirmation today that my chronograph 2 is ready!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post
    Got my email about delivery, I’ve been quoted June to August! So must have been fairly quick depending when it actually arrives.

Also got confirmation today that my chronograph 2 is ready!
    Yes June to August for me as well, looking forward to it.

Lovely looking dial, reasonably nice looking watch. Enjoyed the video, will look forward to lots of incoming photos and reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

No email yet for me so I assume I will be in a later batch then.

Update:

Just got my my email stating a Nov/Dec delivery date! Order number 63xx

Obviously, I am disappointed and not sure if I wish to wait that long after paying the full price. I really think they should have taken deposits with the balance paid when ready to ship!

It’s annoying but I suppose it will be a nice Christmas present!

I can't recall the order number, but it is September to October for me. As you say, will be a nice surprise when it does arrive. Beautiful watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    My delivery is scheduled for November/December too. Slightly disappointed as the order went through at 3 minutes past and it was a 58xx order number. Nice Christmas present though.

June to August :)

Very much looking forward to it

Dave

Congratulations on securing an allocation of Anniversary 朱鷺:Toki and thank you for celebrating two years with Kurono Tokyo!

We are pleased to inform you that your order for Anniversary 朱鷺:Toki will most likely be shipped out from January onwards through February.

Eurgh. It's like they know they were my backup plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Congratulations on securing an allocation of Anniversary 朱鷺:Toki and thank you for celebrating two years with Kurono Tokyo!

We are pleased to inform you that your order for Anniversary 朱鷺:Toki will most likely be shipped out from January onwards through February.

Eurgh. It's like they know they were my backup plan.
    That makes me feel a little better…thank you

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    That makes me feel a little better…thank you

Glad to help! I guess I'll have to make do with the Ming x Massena I'll receive next month.

On the クロノ vs Chrono thing, I was passing TicTac today so popped in.

For those that don't know the TicTac chain well, they sell a very nicely-curated selection of new and used watches, and often have collaborations with brands like Seiko and indeed Asaoka Hajime. The latter have always been branded "Chrono" here in Japan so I asked if this was going to change. They said that クロノ was for the export market and Chrono for the domestic market, and hadn't heard of any change (the "Chrono" branded chronographs were only launched on Dec 22 2020) but that only Asaoka Hajime knew. Recall that this is the same word, just spelled in Japanese characters or Roman alphabet.

They said it was best to ask him on his social media accounts, as he usually answers. (I don't have any social media accounts, unless TZ counts )

I noticed last week in the same shop that they were down to one Chrono-branded 3-hander, and 2 Chrono-branded chronographs. Today, only the chronographs remained.

Didn’t we cover this on post #60?

That information was very clear and outlined the announcement that came directly from his FB account so we have confirmation from
    His social media accounts.

So on taking the advice from the store employee and checking the FB feed we end up back at post 60!

I haven't seen the social media announcement as I don't partake, so not sure if it was for the international market or included domestic.

No strong feelings either way (it's the same word!) just passing on the conversation for anyone interested.

Kurono Tokyo Toki (salmon dial): you will have 10 minutes to order it...

I haven't seen the social media announcement as I don't partake, so not sure if it was for the international market or included domestic.

No strong feelings either way (it's the same word!) just passing on the conversation for anyone interested.
    This is no longer a debate just because you have not personally seen it on FB. I shared the article that spoke to the announcement that was posted on FB which did state that domestic and international markets were being combined into the one with kuronotoyko branding from 2021. This is a Fact given by the company.

Text from the article linked in post 60

“Sales of the Chrono Tokyo Automatic Chronograph started November 20, 2020, with deliveries in November. 50 examples of each were produced.

On January 3, the Kurono Tokyo Facebook page revealed that “effective from 2021, all global and domestic markets will be consolidated under the #kuronotokyo brand name.”

That you had a conversation with a store employee who did not know is nice but doesn’t contradict the fact above! The watches released in Nov/Dec 2020 in Japan will be the last with Chrono branding!
    Last edited by paw3001; 4th June 2021 at 13:46.

Master

They've started shipping...

If someone doesn't bond with theirs when it arrives give me a ping, i guess about time I try one.....

Patiently waiting for mine... hopefully it'll arrive in July

Master

They've started shipping...
    Jammy!

Not heard about mine yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    If someone doesn't bond with theirs when it arrives give me a ping, i guess about time I try one.....
    The one that really caught my attention was the eggshell dial from a couple of years ago, but that was a limited edition of 50 for existing customers of Sincere Fine Watches and I've never seen one come up for sale.

I prefer this simpler form and I'm not at all keen on his chronographs. I wasn't keen either on the green dial of the 1st anniversary Mori, so quite excited about the Toki, and I've been wanting to try a watch with a salmon dial for a while now (I know he refers to it as coral, & it's inspiration is the colouring of a japanese bird, but it still looks pretty close to salmon pink to me).

I've already bought a couple of Bulang straps in anticipation..
    Last edited by gcleminson; 2nd July 2021 at 08:24.

It is beautiful; but is it just me, or is the seconds hand pivot hole not centred?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It is beautiful; but is it just me, or is the seconds hand pivot hole not centred?
    I think it is, it's just how the light plays on it which makes it look asymetric

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Think it's just the shadows playing tricks

Think it's just the shadows playing tricks

Thank you. The balance in the Force has been restored.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The one that really caught my attention was the eggshell dial from a couple of years ago, but that was a limited edition of 50 for existing customers of Sincere Fine Watches and I've never seen one come up for sale.

I prefer this simpler form and I'm not at all keen on his chronographs. I wasn't keen either on the green dial of the 1st anniversary Mori, so quite excited about the Toki, and I've been wanting to try a watch with a salmon dial for a while now (I know he refers to it as coral, & it's inspiration is the colouring of a japanese bird, but it still looks pretty close to salmon pink to me).

I've already bought a couple of Bulang straps in anticipation..

Agree on the egg shell - i know someone who has one, but not seen it myself. I like the colour on the Toki - not quite salmon which I'm not a huge fan of. Plus the more metallic look seems to suit it well. I hope it should be easy enough to get - there will be a lot in circulation.

Mine is arriving Tuesday :)

D

Mine is still Christmas!

Too delicate for me, but absolutely beautiful dial finish and colour. Looking forward to the incoming photos.

Master
    Forgive my double-posting here & the incoming thread, but at least it's a new pic..

Only six months to wait now for me...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Only six months to wait now for me...
    Sorry, not meaning to rub it in :(

It's ok, it means I can legitimately claim I haven't bought a watch in 2022. Just like I have in 2021...

Forgive my double-posting here & the incoming thread, but at least it's a new pic..

That really does look nice, well done on picking one up.

I really like it, congrats again!

Guess who else love kurono?

Check out Instagram of alexbaldwininsta

Craftsman

i can’t stop looking at this, the colour is top class

I see the flippers can’t be stopped with a number of these on Chrono24 at £4-5k already.

I'm hoping that the prices on these will get down to a level I can afford (or should I say feel are reasonable). I really like the Kurono Chronograph 2 as well but these are likewise somewhat stellar.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I had a message from them a few days ago. They do seem to have some nice little additional things like hand made watch straps that have nice Japanese designs on them or urushi watch boxes. Sort of reminds me of Pilot fountain pens.