closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kurono Tokyo Toki (salmon dial): you will have 10 minutes to order it...

Kurono Tokyo Toki (salmon dial): you will have 10 minutes to order it...

For the lovers of salmon dials and japanese watches, Kurono is going to make the "Toki".
    It looks amazing imho, the only issue being that you will have only a bracket of 10 minutes to order it!
    So if some of you fancy it:

https://kuronotokyo.com

I absolutely love that dial.

Now that's a proper limited edition!

Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 19th May 2021 at 10:17.

Yep tempted too after receiving the email last week...

Only 10 minutes in which to order it? That's crazy. What kind of lunatic artisan thinks that is any way to run a watch business?

😁

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Only 10 minutes in which to order it? That's crazy. What kind of lunatic artisan thinks that is any way to run a watch business?

😁
    Haha 10 minutes seems fairly generous dont you think? Maybe even time to double check whats in your basket before frantically clicking submit

You want to win the internet again, don't you ?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Love that!!

So that's 3pm UK time??

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Love that!!

So that's 3pm UK time??
    Friday at 3pm uk time if I understand well yes.
    I reckon the website is going to get slow at this moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Friday at 3pm uk time if I understand well yes.
    I reckon the website is going to get slow at this moment...
    True dat blud!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You want to win the internet again, don't you ?
    I cannot compete, the standard has been raised so high!

Master
    Is it me or I cant find any decent pictures for any of their watches on the website ?

The 10 minute thing seems a bit of a gimmick?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    The 10 minute thing seems a bit of a gimmick?
    Scarcity is a great sales technique and I bet he gets a lot of orders in that 10minutes. I just hope his servers stand up!

I'm more tempted than I'd like to be. Does anyone know what movements they use? It just says 'automatic' but what kind?

Miyota 90s5
    Apparently they go for fairly basic movement so the rest of the cost goes into the finishing, dial, etc...

^^^
    90S5, full specs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Miyota 90s5
    Apparently they go for fairly basic movement so the rest of the cost goes into the finishing, dial, etc...
    Thanks! That's a little bit disappointing, but it's a gorgeous watch nontheless. Decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Scarcity is a great sales technique and I bet he gets a lot of orders in that 10minutes. I just hope his servers stand up!
    Yea no doubt, but it feels very much like a sales tactic to give the illusion of scarcity whilst simultaneously trying to cash in on as many orders as possible!

Yea no doubt, but it feels very much like a sales tactic to give the illusion of scarcity whilst simultaneously trying to cash in on as many orders as possible!

Read the FAQ, gives their explanation of why they are doing it like this although not 100% sure I agree
    with some of the reasoning. Does seem a good marketing/sales ploy, and nothing wrong with that, as unlike most limited editions there is no actual limit on the numbers and they will honour every order placed within the 10 minutes so presumably after 5 minutes it won’t say sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Read the FAQ, gives their explanation of why they are doing it like this although not 100% sure I agree
    with some of the reasoning. Does seem a good marketing/sales ploy, and nothing wrong with that, as unlike most limited editions there is no actual limit on the numbers and they will honour every order placed within the 10 minutes so presumably after 5 minutes it wont say sold out.
    Nope, you'll get this instead

Follow up e-mail just arrived along with the 10minute purchase window you may be waiting from 6 months to a year for delivery.

Between this and the Ming thread is handing over a couple of grand of your own money to a company now considered some kind of generous act on their part?

I'm in, I think my wife or daughter will love it!!
    (If not there's always my Mum!!)

Anyone else take the plunge?

Craftsman
    I tried but it would not accept a Jersey postcode when I went to pay and Jersey was not on the drop down menu. Probably no bad thing really.

Pretty chuffed to have got one.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I'm in, I think my wife or daughter will love it!!
    (If not there's always my Mum!!)

Anyone else take the plunge?
    Was going to buy the 12 month wait just meant a big no for me.

My order was complete at 15.01, and 35% of production will be shipped between June and July, so hopeful of getting it early.

D

I've had my order confirmed. Number in the mid 5000s. Happy to wait as the watch and dial in particular look superb. I think it is a quality piece for the price.

Journeyman
    I got one confirmed as well. Nice smooth process. People have indicated a range of order numbers from 4000 through to 7100, so also hoping Ill get into the first batch of 35% as my order number was 46xx

Ive got a long wait for my blue Ming so really looking forward to receiving this one.

Kurono Tokyo Toki (salmon dial): you will have 10 minutes to order it...

I also secured one as I really liked the colour and design.

My order went through smoothly at 4 mins past and was order 63xx so either thats a large edition size or these are random

Fingers crossed that it isnt a 6-12 month wait and yes I would have thought a deposit payment would have been fairer with the balance being requested before dispatch.
    Last edited by paw3001; 21st May 2021 at 16:53.

Blog Entries
    (Not so) limited edition

Craftsman
    They informed that their systems could process 1000+ requests per minute...so within 10 minutes it may be quite a lot. Personally like the design but would prefer 39/40mm.

Blog Entries
    My ten minutes are up oh dear.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    If anyone doesn't bond with theirs let me know.

I wanted to do this but was viewing watch movements being disassembled & a minute repeate naturally I lost track of time for nearly an hour.

Was a straight forward purchase Im order 60xx been wanting to get my hands on one of their previous launches but always seemed to miss out.

I was a little disappointed by the hodinkee piece they did on it yesterday, as seemed to have an effect if pushing back delivery times.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    You better have to love it or you'll probably sell at loss in regard of the thousands of pieces that will be produced.

That's what watches should be anyway.

Journeyman
    Got my order in but put in the wrong address. Sent an email to try to get it fixed.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
    You better have to love it or you'll probably sell at loss in regard of the thousands of pieces that will be produced.

That's what watches should be anyway.
    I've managed to buy one myself and I am very happy despite the long wait, because if the release was number limited I would have never had the chance. I love the way it looks, the subtle design, the beautiful dial colour and the three chrome rings. Simply a masterpiece. The Toki will be an important piece in my collection. As for your theory I have serious doubts :) A desired watch could be limited even in thousands while some really really rare watches might have hard time finding a buyer. I have a Stowa black green flieger limited to 25 pieces which took weeks to sell out. I am sure it would be much harder to find a buyer for it at its MSRP than for a Kurono Toki :)

Craftsman
    Looking forward to seeing the incomings.
    I wish they'd done this for the green dialled version (Mori?) a while back as I'd have snapped that up.

Seems to be quite a few successful TZers on this!

Master
    They did do it in the end with the Mori.

It was originally limited (can't remember if it was to 50 or 100?) but there were all sorts of payment issues.

So they opened it up to a 10 minute slot for the first time, however unfortunately for me NatWest wouldn't play ball.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Seems to be quite a few successful TZers on this!

Whatever you might think of the watch, Kurono did a brilliant job of marketing and creating a climate of FOMO. We WIS are such sheep!

Objectively I think it will be a lovely watch, and good value for what it is.

Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post

It was originally limited (can't remember if it was to 50 or 100?) but there were all sorts of payment issues.

So they opened it up to a 10 minute slot for the first time, however unfortunately for me NatWest wouldn't play ball.
    Ah gutted 😟

Regarding folk mentioning the serial numbers, in the FAQ it says the serials are deliberately randomised to prevent people from working out the number produced etc.

Look forward to seeing them in the 'Today I received' thread

Apprentice
    Regarding folk mentioning the serial numbers, in the FAQ it says the serials are deliberately randomised to prevent people from working out the number produced etc.

Look forward to seeing them in the 'Today I received' thread
    These are not serial numbers, but order numbers and they are not randomised :)

Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post

Yes originally 50 pieces but ended up as 288 I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Svetoslav View Post
    These are not serial numbers, but order numbers and they are not randomised :)
    Exactly that.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Master
    Managed to score one. Looking forward to getting it!

I like these and it's nice to see "boutique" Japanese watchmaking at a fairly reasonable price.

The Citizen movement is ideal, a perfect choice. In fact the whole watch (especially the dial work and near-identical case back) are reminiscent of my 60's Citizen 4H, which is probably the era it is inspired most by, and hence the appropriateness of the movement.

I slightly prefer the "Chrono"* branded versions sold by retailer TicTac, and these are quite easily available. There have been 2 examples of each of the 3-handed and the chronograph sitting in my local TicTac for months.

Which makes me wonder how many would have jumped on these so quickly were they not "limited" to the 10-minute window?

*("クロノ" by the way, is the Japanese phonetic spelling of "Chrono". The characters are pronounced "Ku - Ro - No" with short vowels, but the "u" in "Ku" almost disappears. So "Chrono" rather than "Ku Row No", as it may appear when spelled in English as Kurono).

Master

*("クロノ" by the way, is the Japanese phonetic spelling of "Chrono". The characters are pronounced "Ku - Ro - No" with short vowels, but the "u" in "Ku" almost disappears. So "Chrono" rather than "Ku Row No", as it may appear when spelled in English as Kurono).
    Thanks for explaining, understand now why the JDM models are branded differently

Master
    Since the chronograph 2 all models are branded クロノ. They attracted criticism online for having a JDM version. So both JDM and worldwide are lumped under one brand. My Bullseye is branded Chrono.