closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to boil an egg with potatoes ?

Is it safe to boil an egg with potatoes ?

I eat a few salads and I like to have new potatoes and a semi hard boiled egg with the salad but I always boil the potatoes and eggs separate, would it be safe to drop the eggs in with the potatoes for the last 9 or 10 mins ?

Craftsman
    Hope I'm not falling for a trap

I would assume the eggs would crack from the temperature shock. But only way to find out is to give it a try.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Why would it not be? Any trace bacterial contamination from the outside of the egg should be destroyed after boiling for a few minutes in salted water.

Can’t think of a reason not to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    Hope I'm not falling for a trap

I would assume the eggs would crack from the temperature shock. But only way to find out is to give it a try.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    If you dip them in gradually a few times before letting them drop in fully, they'll be fine.

I have one of these and it's faultless. Other sizes are available.

https://www.severin.com/en/produkt/e...1-egg-poacher/

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I eat a few salads and I like to have new potatoes and a semi hard boiled egg with the salad but I always boil the potatoes and eggs separate, would it be safe to drop the eggs in with the potatoes for the last 9 or 10 mins ?
    Seriously? What did you imagine might happen if you boiled an egg with potatoes - chemical explosion?

I do it all the time when I make fish pie. Just boil the eggs at the same time as the spuds, remove the eggs when they're done to your preference, leave the spuds if they need longer.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I have one of these and it's faultless. Other sizes are available.

https://www.severin.com/en/produkt/e...1-egg-poacher/

That is definitely something I will never need.

9 to 10 minutes in boiling water ?

i think we have differing ideas about semi hard (no sniggering at the back !) unless you store your eggs in the fridge - i which case you may have thermal shock issues re the shell.

no issues adding the eggs to the almost cooked spuds though, assuming they (the spuds) were healthy looking and gently washed before cooking.

Master
    Why stop at eggs?. Chuck the other veg in too towards the end. I do but not when swambo is around…

I must admit I've never boiled eggs and potatoes together, but that's more because I don't cook them at the same time - I do steam my veg in the same pot as my boiling potatoes. I don't see a problem with eggs and potatoes sharing the same pot and water - and I applaud you thinking of economies and being more green with your cooking. I'd normally go 5-6 mins for hard-boiled.

i would not do as is likely to cause a chemical explosion that will destroy the kitchen.

..... im not getting the joke

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It depends on the quality of your water. I would not do so if in a particularly hard water area as the eggs tend to shatter.
    You also have to consider the potatoes. New potatoes are ideal as they are very welcoming to the idea of mixing with an egg or two. White potatoes are a bit hit and miss....some are quite good at mixing with the foreign body but some aren’t....depends on the bag. King Edwards are a fairly exclusive spud and aren’t good at mixing. Red potatoes will happily bubble away together with your egg but everything will taste the same.

Craftsman
    I don’t keep eggs in the fridge, and they generally withstand boiling water from the kettle without cracking. If using eggs out of the fridge, then put them in a pot of hot water from the tap first for a minute. Empty the water out, and replace it with boiling water. No cracks.

Note: in the UK eggs can be stored safely out of the fridge, and will keep well for at least two weeks. This is different to the USA where egg producers have to wash the eggs in chemicals to remove harmful bacteria. A side effect of the washing is that it removes the natural protective coat, which means the eggs need to be refrigerated to stay fresh.

I’m a heathen and do it quite often, mainly for fish pie - and I’m still here! Go for it, will make you feel alive

Master
    Is there some weird internet/tiktok rumour fake news etc that eggs and potatoes when boiled together create uranium or something?

If the eggs crack, then you will get boiled egg white all over your spuds (ooh err).
    Much the same if there was some chicken $41t (or whatever) on the egg too, not what I would want on my lunch in an ideal world!

Best to just use the same water for the eggs after you have taken the spuds out if you ask me. That's what I would do.

Had a mate who used to boil eggs for breakfast then use the water to make tea. I didn't consider it "unsafe" but it never really appealed to me. As much as I like being frugal, it didn't think it saved that much money or effort to be worthwhile.

I always buy extra large eggs and keep them in the fridge, for a perfect boiled egg for me which is a soft yoke for my soldiers but not snotty I boil the water and then place the eggs in it and time them for 8 minutes exactly at my previous house it only took 5 minutes for the perfect boiled egg, all to do with elevation of your location I believe.

I never expected an explosion of any sort but I was concerned about possibly contaminating the spuds.

I always cook veg and potatoes together if I am eating them at the same meal and use the water for my gravy.

I quite fancy one of those egg boiling thingies :)

We always wash eggs first, do this first if worried about contamination.

When boiling eggs i add ALOT of salt so if the egg cracks it seals itself very quickly.

When boiling veg i use only a touch of salt so the two just never end up in the same pan.

Spuds & eggs in the same pan 100% safe.
    No need for anti bacterial radiation suit either.

If your eggs crack, you're doing it wrong.
    1. ALWAYS store eggs at room temperature if you can
    2. ALWAYS prick fat end of egg with a sharp point. (prevents air pocket expansion, causing cracks in 99% of cases)

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Spuds & eggs in the same pan 100% safe.
    No need for anti bacterial radiation suit either.

If your eggs crack, you're doing it wrong.
    1. ALWAYS store eggs at room temperature if you can
    2. ALWAYS prick fat end of egg with a sharp point. (prevents air pocket expansion, causing cracks in 99% of cases)
    To stop cracking, put them in the cold water with the , and then turn the heat on the pan. Avoids the thermal shock which cracks the

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I don’t keep eggs in the fridge, and they generally withstand boiling water from the kettle without cracking. If using eggs out of the fridge, then put them in a pot of hot water from the tap first for a minute. Empty the water out, and replace it with boiling water. No cracks.

Note: in the UK eggs can be stored safely out of the fridge, and will keep well for at least two weeks. This is different to the USA where egg producers have to wash the eggs in chemicals to remove harmful bacteria. A side effect of the washing is that it removes the natural protective coat, which means the eggs need to be refrigerated to stay fresh.

I was puzzled about long distance sailors smearing vaseline over their eggs in order to preserve them for weeks . Turned out we don’t have that problem in the UK as we don’t generally wash the eggs off .

I did this once and a tree fell over in my garden. Never again. You have been warned!

May I ask what part of this did the OP consider 'unsafe'?.

Never keep legs in the fridge.

Learning to poach eggs in the traditional way is not that difficult!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Quite agree, better to use the freezer. In Line of Duty, Jacqui Lafferty was kept for about 5 seasons.

May I ask what part of this did the OP consider 'unsafe'?.

Learning to poach eggs in the traditional way is not that difficult!.

Never having seen it done I dident know if unsafe or not Chris thats why I asked.

I only keep my eggs in the fridge never my legs unless there is a benifit I don't know of ?

I poach eggs nearly every day for my breakfast and never had a problem, but I was asking about boiled in with the spuds.

... for a perfect boiled egg for me which is a soft yoke for my soldiers but not snotty I boil the water and then place the eggs in it and time them for 8 minutes exactly at my previous house it only took 5 minutes for the perfect boiled egg, all to do with elevation of your location I believe...
    Where do you live, Everest? (Or should I say EGGerest)

Never having seen it done I dident know if unsafe or not Chris thats why I asked.

I only keep my eggs in the fridge never my legs unless there is a benifit I don't know of ?

I poach eggs nearly every day for my breakfast and never had a problem, but I was asking about boiled in with the spuds.
    Just wondered John - typo, eggs should not be kept in the fridge (according to most chefs).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Just wondered John - typo, eggs should not be kept in the fridge (according to most chefs).

After reading some of the above replies and doing some searching on the internet it would appear keeping eggs in the fridge is not ideal, I like my eggs so changing my storage method could be quite beneficial to me,thanks.

i'll admit i have an interest in knowing exactly what you thought might happen , i find it mind boggling that an adult would think adding an egg to a pan of boiling water and taters would make it unsafe in any way that might be deemed such a hazard as to require asking on a forum :) .

After reading some of the above replies and doing some searching on the internet it would appear keeping eggs in the fridge is not ideal, I like my eggs so changing my storage method could be quite beneficial to me,thanks.
    From what I've read, eggs are best kept in the fridge, e.g.: -

https://www.egginfo.co.uk/egg-safety...e-and-handling
    https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/defaul...inese-eggs.pdf
    https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/...to-store-eggs/

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i'll admit i have an interest in knowing exactly what you thought might happen , i find it mind boggling that an adult would think adding an egg to a pan of boiling water and taters would make it unsafe in any way that might be deemed such a hazard as to require asking on a forum :) .
    I was concerned about the trees in my garden :)

I was concerned about the trees in my garden :)
    Quite rightly.

I think that you were being ovaly concerned
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I think that you were being ovaly concerned
    Eggcellent yoke.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    As long as you taken precautions. Always wear a shell suit in case of explosion.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    If I boil the kettle and make a cup of tea am I ok to use the left over water to make a coffee?
    RIAC

Master
    An eggistential dilemma indeed.

As I thought, you all got eggcited and scrambled to get the puns in.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Brilliant and poached.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    An eggistential dilemma indeed.
    Stay where you are - I’ll being you your coat😀

I have no idea why the OP would be terri-fried of boiling eggs with spuds.
    I would not shell-out on an egg poacher.
    I have never tried eggs boiled in the kettle, it’s something for me to eggs-plore

Some of the eggs I have had recently have had more crap on them than a pigeon coup, sod putting that in with the taters!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Brilliant and poached.

I used to have more egg puns, but I seem to have mislaid them.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    If I boil the kettle and make a cup of tea am I ok to use the left over water to make a coffee?
    Well, that depends on the coffee and method you are using. I do not use water that has boiled for a French press, it burns the fresh ground coffee. Now, you could wait for the water to cool a little, but that's very dangerous and makes cooking eggs and potatoes together look like child's play.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Well, that depends on the coffee and method you are using. I do not use water that has boiled for a French press, it burns the fresh ground coffee. Now, you could wait for the water to cool a little, but that's very dangerous and makes cooking eggs and potatoes together look like child's play.
    Are you serious, why would water that has boiled burn coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Are you serious, why would water that has boiled burn coffee?
    Water that has boiled is fine, but you should let it cool a tad first. I use a kettle that has temperature controls, so can heat without boiling. Like all hobbies/interests, you can get carried away!

https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/enj...erature-coffee

https://www.mashed.com/209943/you-sh...ter-heres-why/

i feel like a rebel , i boil everything in the same pan i think i can get away with and the boiled kettle goes straight in the coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i feel like a rebel , i boil everything in the same pan i think i can get away with and the boiled kettle goes straight in the coffee.
    Coffee flavoured spuds must be interesting?

Some of these puns are oeuful.