closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best used modern sports cars

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I'd forget the 5 year limit. A Cayman or Boxster within that age will be a 718 with the 4 cylinder engine. I think these are guaranteed to plummet in value and be the Porsche nobody wants in a few years.

All the best sports cars in that budget are older and most have already been mentioned. Audi R8, 997.2, 981, Evora etc. I;d go for any of those knowing I'd more than likely not lose any money (bare in mind they have all gone up by several ££££ over the last year so you may even struggle to get into one).

Having gone through several M cars, Audi RS, Porsche and Lotus I would no longer compromise on a shared chassis car if I awanted something I'd define as a sports car. Performance figures for something like an M4 v a 991 C2 may be pretty close but the difference in feel when a car has been designed as a sports car from the ground up rather than a family car/small executive saloon that's been through a tuning department is MASSIVE.
    Thanks for this. Curious - is it a widely held view that the 718 will plummet? I thought the new engine was a bit marmite to the purists but I’d be surprised if they tanked in value? I’m not interested in a super performance sports car, just a nice one I can drive daily without fuss. I’m leaning towards the 718 Cayman tbh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Thanks for this. Curious - is it a widely held view that the 718 will plummet? I thought the new engine was a bit marmite to the purists but I’d be surprised if they tanked in value? I’m not interested in a super performance sports car, just a nice one I can drive daily without fuss. I’m leaning towards the 718 Cayman tbh.
    I’d say the jury is still out. Yes Porsche moved back to 6cyl in the latest GTS 4.0, but some people prefer the effortless power a turbo gives you.

I prefer having to wring the neck of a car, especially if a sports car to get the power. To me otherwise riding on turbo torque feels like a powerful turbo diesel. I put the M4 and my father in laws 991.2 into the same camp, torquey & quick but not as engaging. The 912 is obviously miles more capable than the bmw as purpose built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I don't know if it's an opinion that's widely held by "normal" people but it's certainly one that's held amongst "Porsche guys".

If you look on the classifieds on PistonHeads or auto trader you can already find comparable model 718s for less than 981s despite being 2 years newer in some cases. I can only see that becoming more common as the cars get older and leave the OPC used network. As they age its more common for them to be bought as weekend/second cars where people are generally looking for an experience over performance or fuel efficiency. As an experience the older flat 6 is head and shoulders above the flat 4.

Master
    I don't know if it's an opinion that's widely held by "normal" people but it's certainly one that's held amongst "Porsche guys".

If you look on the classifieds on PistonHeads or auto trader you can already find comparable model 718s for less than 981s despite being 2 years newer in some cases. I can only see that becoming more common as the cars get older and leave the OPC used network. As they age its more common for them to be bought as weekend/second cars where people are generally looking for an experience over performance or fuel efficiency. As an experience the older flat 6 is head and shoulders above the flat 4.
    Thanks, very useful. Tbh, the 718 probably suits me (and the wife) better and I’m sure values will still be better than most other cars out there later on. Who knows anyway with the electric revolution. If I can buy one and run it happily for 10-15 years then I’m all set.

Master
    Having gone through several M cars, Audi RS, Porsche and Lotus I would no longer compromise on a shared chassis car if I wanted something I'd define as a sports car. Performance figures for something like an M4 v a 991 C2 may be pretty close but the difference in feel when a car has been designed as a sports car from the ground up rather than a family car/small executive saloon that's been through a tuning department is MASSIVE.
    I agree with this completely. I recently looked for a sports car too, and I test drove M3 and S5 convertibles. They are all nice cars and very capable, but I've had a nice 330d as my daily drive and while the M3 was definitely faster, it did not feel much different. As I drive a have a good reasonable daily car, I realized I did not want another similar but very fast car. I ended up with a 987.2 Boxster, and it's just a different experience. Mine is the 2.9l so it's not got huge power, but it feels very nimble and can take corners at an amazing speed. It's just fun every time I go out in it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Motorcycle, AKA your funeral. I met so many bikers who are dead i lost count

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I agree with this completely. I recently looked for a sports car too, and I test drove M3 and S5 convertibles. They are all nice cars and very capable, but I've had a nice 330d as my daily drive and while the M3 was definitely faster, it did not feel much different. As I drive a have a good reasonable daily car, I realized I did not want another similar but very fast car. I ended up with a 987.2 Boxster, and it's just a different experience. Mine is the 2.9l so it's not got huge power, but it feels very nimble and can take corners at an amazing speed. It's just fun every time I go out in it.
    As much as I hate to admit, I prefer my wife’s base boxster 981 vs my GTS cayman. I can wrong more revs in gears on hers vs mine when I want to have fun. Although I do love mine when I want to overtake in very small gaps.

An interesting learning for me in power, but am sure the inner child in me won’t remember when it comes to upgrade time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Good choice. The 9x7 generation cars are a real sweet spot. Modern, but with the feeling that you're still operating something mechanical.

It's not until you drive one in the context of today that you realise just how much cars have evolved, and not necessarily to the benefit of those who actually enjoy driving.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Thanks, very useful. Tbh, the 718 probably suits me (and the wife) better and I’m sure values will still be better than most other cars out there later on. Who knows anyway with the electric revolution. If I can buy one and run it happily for 10-15 years then I’m all set.
    Personally, having had a Cayman previously, I would avoid the 4 cylinder versions of any Porsche genre. The sweet spot for Porsche remains the flat 6.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 19th May 2021 at 20:42.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Presumably because your life insurance payout isn't big enough

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 20th May 2021 at 15:38.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Depends if you want a sports car for outright handling and performance, or you want a sports car for high days and holidays and a bit of style thrown in. If the former, go for a Porsche, but it will be a utility and somewhat boring after a while (I've been there, done it). If the latter, I don't think you can get a better feeling car than a late 56/07 plate manual 4.3 Aston V8 Vantage. One of the most beautiful and timeless designs, manual gearbox for engagement, and they sound great. Plenty of choice of a 4.3 between 30-35k. If you can, it is worth pushing for a 4.7 for the additional performance and upgrades although that might be closer to 40k and they are harder to find.

Master
    Why do you feel the 718 would suit you both better? It's faster than the 981 equivalent and the 4 cylinder engine seems to be more problematic. If you're not bothered about performance or fuel economy there's literally no benefit.

Master
    Good choice. The 9x7 generation cars are a real sweet spot. Modern, but with the feeling that you're still operating something mechanical.

It's not until you drive one in the context of today that you realise just how much cars have evolved, and not necessarily to the benefit of those who actually enjoy driving.

Thanks! My colleague has a 718S and driven that quite a bit too. It's very nice and superbly capable, but it's quite different too. Both very nice cars of course.

Master
    This has been such a useful thread chaps.

Having researched further and took advice from the wife... I think I’m going to look at older Caymans and keep the wife happy by also keeping our current car as the run around and have the Cayman (or something similar) for fun and weekends etc.

So I’m thinking about a 987 or 981.

Master
    Great choice! But I’m biased.

Master
    I had a 987/2 S some years ago and it was far and away the best car I have ever owned. The only caveat would be that I would suggest a similar powered Cayman at the same time as a comparison. I loved the open roof aspect of the boxster, but I had a Cayman 2.9 for a few months whilst a 3rd party's insurance co messed about over a clear cut insurance claim ( TP reversed out of a parking space in Tesco car park right into the side of my car ). The difference in performance was small yet noticeable, but the turn-in of the Cayman was sooo much more positive, felt much more precise on the road.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If it was me, though, I'd find the nicest Mazda RX8 PZ I could and have the engine rebuilt (or budget for it) and invest the other £30K...

It's even got 4 proper seats!

M

This has been such a useful thread chaps.

Having researched further and took advice from the wife... I think I’m going to look at older Caymans and keep the wife happy by also keeping our current car as the run around and have the Cayman (or something similar) for fun and weekends etc.

So I’m thinking about a 987 or 981.
    Along with the 997, the 987 were the last Porsche sportscars to use hydraulic steering a mechanical handbrake and an actual key to start. This doesn't mean they are better than the later cars, but they are the last of the truly analogue Porsches and I think will age better as a consequence of being the last of the "old tech". As a daily driver I'd probably go for the 981, but as something to keep and love, the 987. (I went through the similar thought process when choosing my 997 turbo)

For smiles per hour have you tried the M2?

My friend had one last year -.he’s just got an m6 now but boy oh boy it was some used motor for about £35k

Journeyman
    £35k should get you a decent one of these, either one of them
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Can be quite practicable too, come winter I fit the full windscreen
    [IMG][/IMG]

Master
    I get the love for the Boxster/Cayman but as someone who doesn't drive anywhere near the limits of modern sports cars, I preferred the TT for its softer ride, better interior, economy and torque plus I think it suits a taller driver better.
    For everyday normal driving it was the better car for me but if my commute was on a race track then I'd have chosen the Boxster.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I get the love for the Boxster/Cayman but as someone who doesn't drive anywhere near the limits of modern sports cars, I preferred the TT for its softer ride, better interior, economy and torque plus I think it suits a taller driver better.
    For everyday normal driving it was the better car for me but if my commute was on a race track then I'd have chosen the Boxster.
    Which TT did you go for. I'm thinking about similar. The TT is a smidgen more practical than a Cayman

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Which TT did you go for. I'm thinking about similar. The TT is a smidgen more practical than a Cayman

The MK3 roadster (petrol obviously ). It's the base sport but with the 'recommended' extra tech, comfort/sound and plus packages so sports heated seats, wind deflector, B&O sound system, power mirrors and sat nav. We stuck with the 18" alloys for the comfort and no complaints, the interior swung it for me as so much nicer than the Boxster imo. The boot isn't huge but we managed, just, to fit what we needed for a 10 day road trip.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    The MK3 roadster (petrol obviously ). It's the base sport but with the 'recommended' extra tech, comfort/sound and plus packages so sports heated seats, wind deflector, B&O sound system, power mirrors and sat nav. We stuck with the 18" alloys for the comfort and no complaints, the interior swung it for me as so much nicer than the Boxster imo. The boot isn't huge but we managed, just, to fit what we needed for a 10 day road trip.
    Thanks for that. I was considering the hard top version for those occasions when I need to carry a passenger as well as the dog !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Number for sale on PH around OP's budget - zero.
    That’s pretty close if you like yellow, and it will run rings around anything mentioned in this thread so far.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/list...fsbnNfbPs0CGBc

The TT's not a 'sports car' though - It's a coupe (with or without a roof!).

Essentially you're getting a Golf in a pretty (personally I think some versions of the TT are hideous!) dress, but without the practicality.

Nothing wrong in a Golf (I have one), but it's not a sportscar...

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The TT's not a 'sports car' though - It's a coupe (with or without a roof!).

M
    9th best affordable sports car according to Autocar - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/b...le-sports-cars.

Why would it not be a sports car?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    9th best affordable sports car according to Autocar - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/b...le-sports-cars.

Why would it not be a sports car?
    Because it's a Golf under the body, as I said...

I'm not saying it's not a fun car to drive, hot hatches often are, but a sports car they are not.

Just look at everything else on the Autocar list and ask yourself how the TT made it...

Nearly everything else is RWD, light and/or very powerful (I'm not sure a Mustang is a sports car either - A Corvette or Viper, OK), the TT is a hatchback platform with a 2+2 body with FWD or an understeer biased 4WD system.

The way a TT (or any other sporty Golf based car) feels to drive compared to, say, an Alpine A110 or a Cayman is totally different - They can be quick, but the handling isn't in the same class as a more dedicated sports car platform.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 21st May 2021 at 14:21.

I concur

TT = Golf in frock

Master
    No real Golf equivalent to an RS TT though

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    No real Golf equivalent to an RS TT though
    They call it an RS3 :)

Master

Yip
    Had one of those

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    They call it an RS3 :)
    Which also isn’t fun to drive, in my opinion

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Which also isn’t fun to drive, in my opinion
    I had plenty fun in it.
    Had a lot of cars and it was fantastic.

F80 before that one and 2 981 Caymans after but I'd have that back first.
    Last edited by Hood; 22nd May 2021 at 00:52.

Test drive a BMW M2 before you decide...

That or a Cayman for me....

Master
    Another vote for the M2 but I would go for a manual competition. Plenty of stuff on YouTube and it has 4 seats and is amazing to drive !

Also if I were looking at Porsches I would open the age bracket up and for a 997.2 manual C2S with a sports exhaust. Again space in the back, wonderful to drive and will make you feel better than having a Boxter or Cayman.

Get an MX5 ND and take it to BBR

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Because it's a Golf under the body, as I said...

I'm not saying it's not a fun car to drive, hot hatches often are, but a sports car they are not.

Just look at everything else on the Autocar list and ask yourself how the TT made it...

Nearly everything else is RWD, light and/or very powerful (I'm not sure a Mustang is a sports car either - A Corvette or Viper, OK), the TT is a hatchback platform with a 2+2 body with FWD or an understeer biased 4WD system.

The way a TT (or any other sporty Golf based car) feels to drive compared to, say, an Alpine A110 or a Cayman is totally different - They can be quick, but the handling isn't in the same class as a more dedicated sports car platform.

M
    All of this.

The TT is NOT a sports car. It feels sports car like to sit in as you sit low with a narrow glasshouse, but it doesn't drive like a sports car.

I go back to my original statement that there's a big difference between a car designed as a sports car from day 1 compared to a car with a shared chassis. It's noticeable even in the humble mx5. I've had a few mx5s and would call them sports cars and rate their handling above the Z4M that I had.

I think too many simply class a sports car as being something that either looks fast or goes fast.

I had plenty fun in it.
    Had a lot of cars and it was fantastic.

F80 before that one and 2 981 Caymans after but I'd have that back first.
    Interesting. Are we talking for everyday driving or as fun car only? Ever do track days in them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Interesting. Are we talking for everyday driving or as fun car only? Ever do track days in them?
    RS3's are everyday cars.
    Brilliantly capable but unfortunately the 2nd hand market cars have generally been modified to some extent.
    The new version is stlll a bit away and I think will be well in excess of 50K
    When I got mine it was 40K-think I sold it 15 months and 15K miles later for 37.5K so held it's value well.

The 718 definitely looks and handles the part. I gear more towards the 997s though. For me the 997.2 is pure class. The last of the compact and shorter wheelbase 911s with the PDK gearbox. Also addresses the IMS issue.

Master
    RS3's are everyday cars.
    Brilliantly capable but unfortunately the 2nd hand market cars have generally been modified to some extent.
    When I got mine it was 40K-think I sold it 15 months and 15K miles later for 37.5K so held it's value well.
    Guessing fun for you is going fast easily vs working for the rewards? RS3 & F80 are like a petrol fuelled turbo diesel, ride the torque lazily.

Give me a base 981 any day or any sorted NA engine. It was my wife getting one that made me realise how dull & bloated my M4 was & swapped for the GTS cayman.

Under steering Audi 4WD was just dull for me, I see it as a fast hot hatch but never engaging to the point of being a sports car. M4 was the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Guessing fun for you is going fast easily vs working for the rewards? RS3 & F80 are like a petrol fuelled turbo diesel, ride the torque lazily.

Give me a base 981 any day or any sorted NA engine. It was my wife getting one that made me realise how dull & bloated my M4 was & swapped for the GTS cayman.

Under steering Audi 4WD was just dull for me, I see it as a fast hot hatch but never engaging to the point of being a sports car. M4 was the same.

I'm not slating 981's.
    Both 981s I had were the base models for exactly the reasons you stated where you can have some fun before getting up to silly speeds in them.

I never drove the gen2 version of RS3 but I think the understeer complaint was addressed by using an Aluminium block engine to lighten up the front end.
    A bit like the long gearing on the 981 I never found either an issue.
    Last edited by Hood; 22nd May 2021 at 16:07.

Master
    The TT is NOT a sports car.
    The motoring press generally, including Evo, categorise it as a sports car and many people's definition of a sports car would require it to be a smaller car with two seats thereby ruling out many models others might include. Just goes to show there is no absolute definition of a sports car.

Master
    I'm not slating 981's.
    Both 981s I had were the base models for exactly the reasons you stated where you can have some fun before getting up to silly speeds in them.

I never drove the gen2 version of RS3 but I think the understeer complaint was addressed by using an Aluminium block engine to lighten up the front end.
    A bit like the long gearing on the 981 I never found either an issue.
    Want to try a manual 981, we both have PDK, compared to the M4 DCT it is much better.

Alu block does make a difference, but still Audi’s default to under steer.

I love the power of mine, but the need to wring the neck of my wife’s to make progress. Trying to convince her to get the PSE so I can finally decide the combo that’s best on the road.

RS3's are everyday cars.
    Agreed they’re every day cars, I find them laggy and steering is very vague with limited feedback. I’d highly recommend a 981 Boxster or Cayman, just make sure you get a PSE as a minimum.

The new RS3 will certainly be over £50k. My other half’s was £56k new when we bought it in 2018, she loves it and as a result of COVID has only done 26k miles and can’t think of anything to replace it with. Here it is next to my old 981

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

A second hand Cayman batters the S3 imo, for pure feel alone plus many other reasons

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    A second hand Cayman batters the S3 imo, for pure feel alone plus many other reasons

That's an rs3.

That's an rs3.
    And a Boxster

Master
    Love it in yellow Alex, I’m too conservative and went GT Silver.