closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best used modern sports cars

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    That's an rs3.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Makes no odds to me, a lovely car, but not a sports car for me, but each to their own

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    The motoring press generally, including Evo, categorise it as a sports car and many people's definition of a sports car would require it to be a smaller car with two seats thereby ruling out many models others might include. Just goes to show there is no absolute definition of a sports car.
    Yes, it's very hard to define a sports car. However, I doubt anyone's definition would be - a small coupe (or roadster) which shares drivetrain and chassis underpinning with a family hatchback, is available in fwd or front biased 4wd only and can be had with a variety of engines including a 4 cylinder diesel engine commonly found in mini cabs.

The magazine's categorize it as a sports car because Audi marketing position it as such. The truth is it sits in a class of it's own. Closest thing is probably the BMW 2 series.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great product and I've considered a TTRS on several occasions. But it's not a sports car.

Master
    @mowflow I can understand your view but I just don't think a sports car is defined by it's design origins or the engines that are available, it's about its appearance and how it drives. The wide range of targeted uses that can be provided using one model/platform nowadays is just testament to the technology of today v 50+yrs ago and to think otherwise seems excessively nostalgic to me.
    I don't think we're disagreeing on the products themselves, just how they're described, as we bought a TT in part because it didn't need to be driven in the way that a Boxster does to enjoy what it does best.

Yes, it's very hard to define a sports car. However, I doubt anyone's definition would be - a small coupe (or roadster) which shares drivetrain and chassis underpinning with a family hatchback, is available in fwd or front biased 4wd only and can be had with a variety of engines including a 4 cylinder diesel engine commonly found in mini cabs.

The magazine's categorize it as a sports car because Audi marketing position it as such. The truth is it sits in a class of it's own. Closest thing is probably the BMW 2 series.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great product and I've considered a TTRS on several occasions. But it's not a sports car.

Are you so picky with the definition of a 'sports' watch which might share the same drivetrain as other models?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Are you so picky with the definition of a 'sports' watch which might share the same drivetrain as other models?
    I'm sorry but that comparison does not work. The TT is not a unique sports car chassis with a golf engine in it. My point was that the shared parts and characteristics go far deeper. It's more like a golf/A3 wearing a track suit.

If you really want a watch analogy then it's like sticking a dive bezel and rubber strap on a portofino and declaring it a sports watch.

I'm sorry but that comparison does not work. The TT is not a unique sports car chassis with a golf engine in it. My point was that the shared parts and characteristics go far deeper. It's more like a golf/A3 wearing a track suit.

If you really want a watch analogy then it's like sticking a dive bezel and rubber strap on a portofino and declaring it a sports watch.

The car should be judged on its own merits. No matter that a similar diesel car might exist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr
    That RS3 looks fantastic.
    Is that voodoo blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    That RS3 looks fantastic.
    Is that voodoo blue?
    Thanks, it’s Riviera

Master
    This is what I have ended up with, arriving next Friday. It’s a 981 Cayman.

5976DB60-4508-4B63-B487-F1FE2B138B94 by Berty234, on Flickr

Master
    The right choice and either you won the argument with the wife or you have promised her something expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    This is what I have ended up with, arriving next Friday. It’s a 981 Cayman.
    Very nice.

Master
    Looks amazing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    The right choice and either you won the argument with the wife or you have promised her something expensive.
    Argument was won, fortunately no expensive bribe required :)

Very nice :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Lovely, you made a great choice.

You will enjoy every mile in it, I’m sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Do post some more pics and specs when you get it.