closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best used modern sports cars

Master

Best used modern sports cars

Good gentlemen of George & Dragon.

I’m thinking about changing my car this year and going for a sports car of some sort. Market value up to £35k ish and up to around maybe 5 years old. Needs to be a hard top.

Is there anything better than a Porsche Cayman for the money? What are the best alternatives? I like the Jaguar F type too.

My wife wants me to get a coupe with 4 seats, but I’m trying to persuade her that I don’t need the extra room... Honestly, I don’t and I think I can win the argument (famous last words).

All ideas welcome :)

My first thought was Cayman - You could probably get a lesser 911 in budget, but I think the Cayman is a better car.

Something like an F-Type would be great to drive, it's all degrees (I did a couple of laps around Longcross with a professional driver in a supercharged V6 and it's definitely NOT a slow car!) and you (like me, I suspect) may just find the front-engined, RWD setup more engaging and enjoyable - I certainly think, on the road, there's nothing to choose between good examples of each and somehow a front-engined car seems more naturally balanced to me, even if the physics says a mid-engined car should be better.

I have to say I always like the look of the Z4s with the retractable hardtops (no idea what E-number that is), although they always seemed to be rather disregarded by reviewers - That said, on the road, I suspect you'd be hard-pressed to find the limits without doing something really stupid.

Have you considered a Dodge Viper?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    If depreciation does not sit well with you avoid the Jag it will be worth Jack a few years down the line. As said the Cayman is a great car and will hold some worth down the line.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    If depreciation does not sit well with you avoid the Jag it will be worth Jack a few years down the line. As said the Cayman is a great car and will hold some worth down the line.
    I was thinking the Cayman will win on residuals. Hard to see past it at the moment.

Wives always know best. Get 4 seats.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...?atmobcid=soc3

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Wives always know best. Get 4 seats.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...?atmobcid=soc3
    Beautiful Kirk. I’m being told I should look at Audi TT coupes.

Master
    A manual 370z might be worth a look. Little sis has a nismo one and it seems pretty good.

Grand Master
    Won’t meet the 5 year old criteria, but I’d seriously consider a Jaguar XK. 4 seats (just) and 5.0 V8. Don’t worry about depreciation, the worst of that is over for these. Beautiful looking car, a future classic IMO. Tax, insurance and fuel costs are on the high side but that applies to the others on your short list.

Some good suggestions so far and the Boxster is hard to see past to be fair. However, there is plenty of choice...

Lexus RC F 5.0V8
    Alfa 4c
    Ford Mustang
    Toyota Supra (new model and might need to stretch budget a little)
    Merc SL
    Etc Etc...

That all said, if I were in this position I’d be looking at something older and going for an Aston Martin Vantage. Still looks superb to my eyes and history tells us Astons are at the bottom of their depreciation curve at about 10 years old. You’d get a nice one for your budget.

Do any of you actually live normal lives?

35k to spaff on a car, shoot mate get any old fast motor for 8k and spend the remaining 27k on having fun, and that's pushing the boat out.

This place becomes more of a pissing contest everyday.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    BMW M3 / M4? Would keep the wife happy too!

Do some research on the Honda SX2000

Cheap, RWD, great build quality, good horsepower.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You don’t mention what else you have.

Road use - Cayman S

Track use - Exige

If it were me though I’d get two cars for the money, something like a Golf R for the daily grind and an MX5/GT86 for track days.

Depends on which Cayman, but yes, it's probably the best option. I'd rather go a few years older and get a 981 S as £35k will just squeeze in for the lowest spec 718. And if you get a manual it will definitely hold its value better.

As for a four seater, a V8 Mustang GT will do nicely and there should be plenty at that budget.

Master
    Duplicate
    Last edited by Berty234; 17th May 2021 at 20:36.

Go old school, get the two seater you crave and score brownie points with the missus by saving $$.

I have a z4 that does 0-60 in under 6 secs, it's a riot and is full of toys.

A z4m coupe would come in way under your budget. Pretty bullet proof. Looks amazing imo, probably won't lose money when it's time to sell, requires attention from the driver.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Do any of you actually live normal lives?

35k to spaff on a car, shoot mate get any old fast motor for 8k and spend the remaining 27k on having fun, and that's pushing the boat out.

This place becomes more of a pissing contest everyday.

Oh no, this wasn’t intended as that in any way. Those that know me will hopefully attest.

I’m just looking at getting a new car, and branching out to something different to me, that’s all :)

This will be my only car - but I don’t need space. I know £35k is a very good budget but I thought there’s a lot of normal cars that cost more new that folk buy everyday.

I was thinking that I’d get a Porsche and keep it until it’s vintage!
    Last edited by Berty234; 17th May 2021 at 20:44.

My recommendation is Merc SL
    However Kirk280 trumps everything with the Lotus. Bang on. And 4seats sort of. Win Win

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Enjoy what you enjoy my friend, not to my way of thinking, but if it's your bag go for it.

Fast and fearsome brother, good luck with your search, and I'll be secretly, with maybe a slight green eye, watching whatever you end up with.

Go for it mate

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Oh no, this wasn’t intended as that in any way. Those that know me will hopefully attest.

I’m just looking at getting a new car, and branching out to something different to me, that’s all :)

This will be my only car - but I don’t need space. I know £35k is a very good budget but I thought there’s a lot of normal cars that cost more new that many folk buy everyday.

I was thinking that I’d get a Porsche and keep it until it’s vintage!
    No need to explain yourself. Everyone is different and puts priorities in different places and has different means. We're here for a short time only and might as well enjoy a few things if we can. No matter what we do there will be some moany dude telling you how he'd do it differently.

Besides, I sure hope I'm not living a normal life!

I made a comment to add to what I said last in this thread in the bear pit.

I really hope you get a rip roarer of a car bud, especially one which will keep the Mrs happy and give you a Cheshire cat grin as you put the pedal to the metal.

Pictures and thoughts when it arrives, and I promise not to post anything out of order

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    I made a comment to add to what I said last in this thread in the bear pit.

I really hope you get a rip roarer of a car bud, especially one which will keep the Mrs happy and give you a Cheshire cat grin as you put the pedal to the metal.

Pictures and thoughts when it arrives, and I promise not to post anything out of order

No worries at all, Nick.

If I had that money spare for a sports car I'd be going with a Cayman or Boxster. Cayman for the hard top.

Unless you’re thinking of loads of track days (then I’d recommend an Exige) the minor dynamic edge a Cayman might have over a Boxster is not worth sacrificing the loss of the soft top in my view. Top down on in summer, or a crisp winters day with the heated seats on is fantastic.

The F Type looks good but it’s very lardy by comparison and paddles only (I think).

Alpine A110 worth a look too, but might stretch the budget.
    Last edited by andy tims; 17th May 2021 at 21:55.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Beautiful Kirk. I’m being told I should look at Audi TT coupes.
    Would 35/40k get you an R8?

Cayman all day long.

Not sure what £35k gets you but at least you won’t bleed when you come to sell it.

An Audi TT on the other hand…

35k will just get you into a Noble, but you would have to like working on cars or have deep pockets for maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    Would 35/40k get you an R8?
    I thought he said sports car
    Last edited by adrianw; 17th May 2021 at 22:21.

Master
    I think it will either be a Cayman or I’ll be argued by the wife into a coupe like the Lexus RC300 or Audi A5 or similar.

I’d think I have the winning argument on the Cayman and depreciation though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I thought he said sports car
    Ok, I’m baffled. You suggested a Noble, someone else suggested an R8. These are both mid engines rear wheel drive performance cars and from what I’ve read (never driven either) they are both superb road holders.

Lotus Evora or Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Ok, I’m baffled. You suggested a Noble, someone else suggested an R8. These are both mid engines rear wheel drive performance cars and from what I’ve read (never driven either) they are both superb road holders.
    The noble is one of the best handling cars around, the v8 R8 is terrible, the V10 is a bit better

I am pretty certain the answer is a Porsche. With the budget I would seriously consider a Toyota Yaris GR-Four. I watched a YouTube video of one chasing down a Porsche Carrera R on the Nurburgring and was staggered by the grip and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I am pretty certain the answer is a Porsche. With the budget I would seriously consider a Toyota Yaris GR-Four. I watched a YouTube video of one chasing down a Porsche Carrera R on the Nurburgring and was staggered by the grip and performance.
    Great car, I recently drove a tweaked one, it does everything well

35k will just get you into a Noble, but you would have to like working on cars or have deep pockets for maintenance
    Number for sale on PH around OP's budget - zero.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 17th May 2021 at 23:15.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    For around half your budget you can get a 4 year old GT86 (still in warranty) - not only are they great to drive in real world conditions, they look great and have four seats (though really a 2 crush 2). And the cost of ownership is pretty good too...

I'm about to sell my wife's as she no longer needs a car - not a stealth sales pitch. It grieves me to part with such a gorgeous looking car on the drive but keeping it doesn't make sense. I paid 23K for it new just under 5 years ago and WBAC are talking 15.7K (I know they will knock the price back, but based on its condition and previous experience of selling to them I expect 15.5K). Prices are going up because they were offering 13.7K 18 months ago.

Master
    The noble is one of the best handling cars around, the v8 R8 is terrible, the V10 is a bit better
    Surprised by this. I’ve read very good things about the R8. Especially the V8 manual.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Besides, I sure hope I'm not living a normal life!
    Great to hear.

The older I get, the more certain I am of the fact that the term 'normal' (when comparing ones life/outlook/pleasures/passions/beliefs etc to others) only exists to make sure we ALL feel that we are NOT normal!
    Whatever 'normal' is supposed to be!

No one should ever want to be normal anyway....
    That is what makes us individuals and so much the better for it. ;)

OP.
    You could always try my route when I followed a similar path with regards to 'needing' a Porsche 911:

After missing out on buying a classic 1971 911 back in 1999 (back when the prices were pretty reasonable), I once again decided that I wanted (ie needed) a 911, so booked a trip to Silverstone Porsche Experience to have a go in 3 911's of different ages. The point of the trip was to compare classic vs modern cars.

After half a day there, I decided that with my limited driving skills, I would never, ever be able to get the most out of a 911 (even though they were all utterly gorgeous), so a Cayman is what would suit us best and is more car than I would ever need.

Shortly after the visit, this was downgraded to an MX5 for modern driving and an MGB for some classic fun- both of which we already owned anyway and hardly ever use - so the half day experience was the best money I have ever spent, as it saved me the cost of a Porsche!
    Bargain.

Isn't the best sports car value actually a Ducati?

If it's sporty that's the priority, a motorcycle sounds like the best option.

I’ve not read the thread but doubt anyone has mentioned it…what you need is an MX5

Surprised by this. I’ve read very good things about the R8. Especially the V8 manual.
    They are numb, a bit like driving a big TT or A5

Master
    For that budget I would consider M2 M3 M4

How's this one?
    https://www.hendyperformance.co.uk/u.../aetv53556000/

Reading the previous post there are some good suggestions such as an S2000 and a Golf R and/or having two cars. I have both... Partly because the S2000 has been with me for 19 years now and I can't part with it (a watch related pic below, from last week). The R is a consummate all rounder.

Enjoy the hunt and drive a few cars.

Quote Originally Posted by N05J3W3 View Post
    Or you could just sign up with Exit!

M

They are numb, a bit like driving a big TT or A5
    I certainly didn't feel that when I drove one (a V10) - I hate the TT and the A5 with a vengeance, but I thought the R8 was one of the nicer mid-engined sportscars to drive.

It is pretty civilised (like a normal 911), but certainly not 'numb' - I guess it depends what you're comparing it to, not as raw as some of the 'track focussed' Lambos or 911s, for example, but I know which I'd prefer to drive every day!

I'd say try one before discounting it.

M

I much prefer the V8 to the V10, but then I haven’t driven a performance+ version of the V10 yet. The V8 was quick and handling was very reassuring at speed, on unrestricted roads, to me.

I liked the manual compared to the older mechanical/auto - but the v later STronic car was the best of both for me. & The visibility and comfort, plus getting in and out, was fantastic for a sports car.

I’d happily drive one as a daily car.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I'd forget the 5 year limit. A Cayman or Boxster within that age will be a 718 with the 4 cylinder engine. I think these are guaranteed to plummet in value and be the Porsche nobody wants in a few years.

All the best sports cars in that budget are older and most have already been mentioned. Audi R8, 997.2, 981, Evora etc. I;d go for any of those knowing I'd more than likely not lose any money (bare in mind they have all gone up by several ££££ over the last year so you may even struggle to get into one).

Having gone through several M cars, Audi RS, Porsche and Lotus I would no longer compromise on a shared chassis car if I wanted something I'd define as a sports car. Performance figures for something like an M4 v a 991 C2 may be pretty close but the difference in feel when a car has been designed as a sports car from the ground up rather than a family car/small executive saloon that's been through a tuning department is MASSIVE.
    Last edited by mowflow; 19th May 2021 at 10:36.

Master
    Completely agree with the above, I moved from an M4 to a 981 GTS and the difference is chalk & cheese. Yes, a much smaller car, 2 seats etc, but it was designed to be a sporty car from the start, not ‘how do we make the standard car faster’

I have learned a lot from that experience. In the past sports cars I’ve had were MX5s mk1-3, S2000, Z4C, Z4M, and the 981. They have all been great fun, I’d say the S2000 and Z4M engines were the most fun, but had to really be worked. Older than 5 years though.

My wife had a Z4 with the folding hard top, E89 from memory. She traded in her older model E85 for it & regretted it. It feels heavy (it is!), and more of a cruiser than a sports car. Doesn’t inspire being thrown around at all. She was happy to trade in for a Boxster 981.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by N05J3W3 View Post
    Motorcycle, AKA your funeral. I met so many bikers who are dead i lost count

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Motorcycle, AKA your funeral. I met so many bikers who are dead i lost count
    You met dead people?! Not sure I believe you unless you hang out with countless very unlucky / lunatic riders…

OP- With those criteria I would probably go cayman or boxster. Personally I like the R8 too, so test drive one before dismissing them.