closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Swapping Rolex Submariner 16610 for an A Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin as a 1 watch dail

Craftsman

Swapping Rolex Submariner 16610 for an A Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin as a 1 watch dail

So as the title says, I’m only using one nice watch as an all-round daily wearer (apart from a G-Shock for the gym).

I really like the Submariner, although I’ve always being intrigued by the Saxonia Thin as a dress watch to wear daily.

I’ve put a picture below for anyone that doesn’t know the reference.

Am I crazy to think about doing this?

IMG_3456.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    Yes.

Master
    No, it’s an interesting question:
    The Sub is so successful that it has become a kind of cliche, far too familiar among watch guys. But, you could argue that it’s exceptional toughness and design led to such fame.
    The thin Saxonia is, to many eyes, a far more elegant and handsome design, worn by people with real confidence in their judgement. But its , obviously, less tough and won’t withstanding poor treatment like a Sub.
    Still, if you use a G Shock or something rough and tough, the Saxonia , as a daily alternative, is a winner. It’s just a better looking design, that isn’t yet another cliche.
    Still, takes real nerve, good luck.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th May 2021 at 13:01.

Master
    Is this really about the Lange specifically or the concept in itself? Because if you want to swap a steel diver for a solid gold dress watch then I don't think anyone is going to sniff at the Saxonia, nor will they think a 16610 is a bad choice for a daily one-watch. I'm not sure anyone else can answer this question.

Master
    Not crazy at all.

In the real world, apart from swimming or labouring, you can wear any watch you like basically all of the time.

A Saxonia thin would be an awesome watch to wear every day. Even though it’s gold, it’s probably less conspicuous than a Sub too especially if you got the white gold.
    Last edited by Berty234; 17th May 2021 at 13:37.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If I was considering it id think myself mad, but cant speak for anyone else.
    I think id be bored very quickly, and once id realised how uninteresting a saxonia is above and beyond Lange being on the dial id be taking a bath having lost 40% of its value.
    your mileage may vary of course!

Master
    I think Lange’s stock is rising. If you sell a 16610 for a good price, then buy a Saxonia thin to hold for the long term, you’ll probably be fine financially, but you’ll also have enjoyed a great watch in the meantime.

It wouldn't be for me but whatever floats your boat!

- - - Updated - - -

It wouldn't be for me but whatever floats your boat!

Craftsman
    You can pick up a relatively recent Saxonia Thin usually for just under £10k so it would be a bit on top of the Submariner but not by much.

Being honest, I love the Submariner but itch for something a bit more classic. I’ve owned a Junghans Max Bill and Nomos Tangente but found them Botha little cheap in quality but really liked the design type.

I like the simple design of the Saxonia Thin, the decorated case back and the fact it is understated, although I wouldn’t mind a sweeping seconds hand…

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    If I was considering it id think myself mad, but cant speak for anyone else.
    I think id be bored very quickly, and once id realised how uninteresting a saxonia is above and beyond Lange being on the dial id be taking a bath having lost 40% of its value.
    your mileage may vary of course!
    Basically what I was going to say, I have had thin dress watches in the past, nothing at the Lange level but gold, minimalist dial, leather strap and I found them very boring after a short time, yes Subs are a statement watch to many but simply I just love the look of sport Rolex especially the smaller 5 digit watches.

Crazy, yes - but that's given, you're on this forum. Would I do the swap? No. I see the Saxonia thin as an occasional dress watch, never a daily wearer. But, that's the thing with these sort of questions - opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one. You only live once (unless you're a Scientologist).

These two watches are totally different. The ALS is beautiful and simple and refined, but its not the most interesting ALS out there. I got a 1815 recently and it was a catch and release. Very beautiful watch, amazing finish but after that I was left without much use of a super dressy precious metal watch. The market manipulators are doing their best to push Lange as much as possible mostly because they need another patek or another FPJ to soak up the money people have for watches they cannot get.

Not something I would do
    Not for Saxonia but there are other ALS watches that can easily persuade me.

Craftsman
    If it were me, I'd take a look at the 1815 up/down. A really interesting dial imho.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    If it were me, I'd take a look at the 1815 up/down. A really interesting dial imho.
    That does look very nice as well...

I wouldn't do that. Really hard to beat a Sub for a daily wearer.
    I love some ALS watches-especially the back of them, but I don't think I would wear and enjoy that one.

Keep the Sub and save for the Lange. You know it makes sense :-)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgeme View Post
    The market manipulators are doing their best to push Lange as much as possible mostly because they need another patek or another FPJ to soak up the money people have for watches they cannot get.
    The same thing is happening with independent brands generally. Patek now is just too passé.

But as for the original question, I think the Lange is a watch that's really for wearing when you feel like dressing up. I'm sure it can manage as a daily watch, but I wonder if that feeling of specialness will be lost with constant wear, and it'll appear just a little bit dull. I'm all for relatively simple three -handers as a daily watch, but a thin and fairly stark dress watch would be too much for me.

Craftsman
    The Lange is a beautifully finished watch ,but quite dull and boring ,there are much more interesting Lange's out there

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    As said - it's a bit boring.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Keep the Sub and save for the Lange. You know it makes sense :-)
    this

The Saxonia has a very clean and simple design but it isn't very interesting and I hate to say it but the great unwashed will think it's a cheap $10 quartz.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post

IMG_3456.jpg

Yes. Don't.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I’m booked in to visit the A Lange & Sohne Boutique later this week to try a few different models on.

Hopefully that will scratch the itch and I’ll come to my senses and keep the Sub…

Quote Originally Posted by eyespy View Post
    The Saxonia has a very clean and simple design but it isn't very interesting and I hate to say it but the great unwashed will think it's a cheap $10 quartz.
    That is a good thing isn't it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    That is a good thing isn't it?
    In some respects yes but maybe not in others. I guess most of us like to think we wear watches primarily for ourselves but that doesn't mean we'd like others to think it's a £10 special. I say this as someone who struggles with the idea of wearing a £10k watch as a daily so I can see both sides!

Would you be buying it to impress yourself or others? Everyone recognises a Rolex. That might be important to some. Few will recognise a Lange. That might be equally important to others. I don't think that it matters if others think one is wearing a cheap watch. It may show how shallow they are. You will know better!

Master
    Some mildly cruel comments on the Saxonia (boring). However you could equally compare the two designs as like a pair of trainers (sub) or a handmade pair of shoes (Saxonia). Certainly the Lange has that Calvinistic simplicity that features in much German design.
    Come to think of it, for me, the plain Speedmaster is a better looking design than either.....all highly subjective. Just buy what you most like....

I would for a Lange 1, not a Saxonia though. There’s enough detail in the Lange 1 to keep me occupied for awhile.

Better picture for those interested, and a comparison -

Craftsman
    No contest imo. The Als is on a different plane; it is a masterpiece. The sub and the g-shock essentially serve the same purpose so why have both in a small collection? Casio plus ALS seems like a perfect pair to me.

Add but not swap.

The ALS is one of the nicest two hander watches at this price point. Simple silver dial, amazing movement details.

These were around 13.5k earlier this year , now 15.5K. I think it will dress down well with a change of strap in a similar manner to the Reverso with the Casa Fagliano strap.

Meet in the middle with a VC 56

completely different watches... would try to add as well instead of swap

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    No contest imo. The Als is on a different plane; it is a masterpiece. The sub and the g-shock essentially serve the same purpose so why have both in a small collection? Casio plus ALS seems like a perfect pair to me.
    Yes....sounds sensible to me.

Master
    Damn, that Saxonia is bland (as in boring); as dull as your average Nomos Glashutte. It doesn’t even have a seconds hand. I think the novelty of owning it would disappear not long after you left the boutique with it. Give your head a wobble and remind yourself why you coveted a Submariner in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    No, it’s an interesting question:
    The Sub is so successful that it has become a kind of cliche, far too familiar among watch guys. But, you could argue that it’s exceptional toughness and design led to such fame.
    The thin Saxonia is, to many eyes, a far more elegant and handsome design, worn by people with real confidence in their judgement. But its , obviously, less tough and won’t withstanding poor treatment like a Sub.
    Still, if you use a G Shock or something rough and tough, the Saxonia , as a daily alternative, is a winner. It’s just a better looking design, that isn’t yet another cliche.
    Still, takes real nerve, good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Not crazy at all.

In the real world, apart from swimming or labouring, you can wear any watch you like basically all of the time.

A Saxonia thin would be an awesome watch to wear every day. Even though it’s gold, it’s probably less conspicuous than a Sub too especially if you got the white gold.
    Exactly right in my view - not least regarding the confidence.

In theory I could trade any of my watches, GMT, Explorer II, Omegas, Sea-Dweller even which I love... but never, ever the Sub 16610 which to me is the coolest of the cool.

Yes it might be "too common". But hey, so is Mercedes E but it has always been the best, most sensible and most reliable Mercedes model.

Craftsman
    I think the watch would be fine. Maybe it would pick up more scuffs etc, then again it's much smaller and will tuck under cuffs more, so maybe not. Either way it'll survive and be fine come service time.

Most wristwatch wearing in history has been relatively dressy watches worn as only watches. It's only us who worry about it!

My concern would be how many times it might feel too formal (and the g shock too casual). Depends on your personal style / lifestyle. Also, moving between black/brown shoes and clashing with the strap, if that bothers you.

Or a cheaper diver (lots of fun options for very little, relative to the two watches in question)

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app