closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fake Royal Mail text

Master

Fake Royal Mail text

Waiting for DHL delivery from Italy. Receive 2-page Royal Mail text.

1st page asks for small sum of import duty & VAT and seems legit. 2nd page asks, "Please verify the card used when purchasing your product" and requests name, card number, expiry date, CVV, account number & sort code.

Please forgive me if this is a well-known scam.

There is a scam RM text going about
    I would enter to your tracking details on the website and do it that way (do not follow the link)
    Most international post comes via parcel force I think so be wary

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Waiting for DHL delivery from Italy. Receive 2-page Royal Mail text.

1st page asks for small sum of import duty & VAT and seems legit. 2nd page asks, "Please verify the card used when purchasing your product" and requests name, card number, expiry date, CVV, account number & sort code.

Please forgive me if this is a well-known scam.
    I believe its been doing the rounds of late.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I’m waiting on a parcel and got the text last night as well. Normally if it’s from Royal Mail it shows Royal Mail as the sender and not some random number.

I typed the website on my work computer and it was blocked so 100% scam

Master
    I've had a number of texts over the last few weeks from all the major carriers (RM, DPD, UPS, TNT) re non-expected deliveries, lots of scams going round it would seem at the moment.

I had one a couple of days ago, l knew it was a fake and just deleted it.

Grand Master
    I got this a few weeks ago. I get a fair amount of stuff delivered by Royal Mail and its obvious to me that a note would be left at the address ( like the cards that are left when I’m out) so I worked out immediately that it must be a scam.

What worries me is how these scammers get phone numbers. I don’t use a mobile phone often and I rarely disclose the number, I give my house phone number if I have to give a number out.

Do the folks who perpetrate these scams ever get caught and punished?

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    I've had a number of texts over the last few weeks from all the major carriers (RM, DPD, UPS, TNT) re non-expected deliveries, lots of scams going round it would seem at the moment.
    Same, you can add Hermes and Amazon to that list as well.

Ditto banks: HSBC and Barclays fakes

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

What worries me is how these scammers get phone numbers. I don’t use a mobile phone often and I rarely disclose the number, I give my house phone number if I have to give a number out.
    They just send a lot of texts to randon numbers, it's not that someone has 'found' your mobile number.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    They just send a lot of texts to randon numbers, it's not that someone has 'found' your mobile number.
    Until last July I never gave my mobile number to anyone, I hardly used it. Owing to the house deal I was involved in it became necessary to be more contactable so I gave the mobile number to a small number of contacts and since then I've had a few unsolicited calls/ texts; prior to this I had none so I’m less inclined to think the scammers use random number selectors. These scammers should be seriously punished, maybe beheading is a bit strong but cutting their hands off would be appropriate.....after all they’re no better than common thieves! Its the elderly and those who the folks who are less perceptive that they prey on, they’re scum.

The HSBC one is doing my nut lately.

"You have authorised a payment to (insert random name here) for (insert random 4-figure sum here). If this is not you please follow link (and enter all your important details so we can empty your account and get away with it because no one will investigate, and even if they do, they wil never catch us.) Thank you."

I get them from Royal Mail and Hermes all the time, the scammers offer a better customer experience than the real Hermes though to be fair.

Master
    This is an article about the DHL version of this scam - as mentioned, similar ones are around for any delivery company you can think of.

https://www.thatsnonsense.com/beware...message-scams/

Craftsman
    Yes, I’ve had that Royal Mail one a few times now

Both the wife and I get these quite often we also keep getting the inland revenue one as well 5 days running last week 5 different numbers only 1 or 2 digit diff from my own number

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Until last July I never gave my mobile number to anyone, I hardly used it. Owing to the house deal I was involved in it became necessary to be more contactable so I gave the mobile number to a small number of contacts and since then I've had a few unsolicited calls/ texts; prior to this I had none so I’m less inclined to think the scammers use random number selectors. These scammers should be seriously punished, maybe beheading is a bit strong but cutting their hands off would be appropriate.....after all they’re no better than common thieves! Its the elderly and those who the folks who are less perceptive that they prey on, they’re scum.
    It's where people have been 'phished' and their contact lists have been stolen. If they happen to have you and your details as one of their contacts then you're in play, sadly.

Craftsman
    I have had a couple of scam phone calls on my landline at home; a recorded voice, claiming to be from Amazon, says that there was a recent purchase on my account for £399, and if this was not me, to press 1.

This is the problem with working from home now - I am in to receive these scam calls, and suspicious people knocking at the front door.

My mum got this the other day. Lots of scams going around recently.

She also had a fake App Store receipt email for an app about boats for £54 with "click here if this wasn't you for an instant" which she obviously clicked immediately but luckily didn't type any passwords or bank info into.

Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    Yes, I’ve had that Royal Mail one a few times now
    And me, just delete the junk along with the ones from the inland revenue who owed me £1134.45 only yesterday lol, do people really fall for this crap?

Craftsman
    Or the press 1 call otherwise HMRC will get a warrant for your arrest.

As a joke i pressed one and asked them not to arrest me. After having a lengthy joke with the guy, he admitted don’t worry this is a scam call

Master
    These scammers are agile if nothing else. Post Brexit they determined small amounts of duty would be due so jumped on that. Recently they started confirming covid tests and then advising of the £79 charge.

It will be interesting to see the next scam, I predict its “ As a resuly of furlough, we calculate you are owed……….

Steve

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...weeping-the-uk

I just read this yesterday.

And advice on how to prevent fraud.

https://takefive-stopfraud.org.uk/

And to answer the poster above, yes people do fall for it. They're not fools, cretins or idiots. They're the victims of deceitful, clever criminals, so perhaps some more empathy and compassion would be appropriate.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations