closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice please. Tiled floor 1 Watch 0!

Advice please. Tiled floor 1 Watch 0!

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh.

First time this has ever happened to me. While putting my watch on I dropped it and it landed face down on a tiled floor. Bought from SC in December and it’s barely been off my wrist since. It was a bargain, but now because of my stupidity, is going to cost me.

Sapphire shattered, shards on the dial but movement was still running so I’ve pulled the crown out for now. Should I keep crown out and send it for repair this way?

Also, does anyone know if Mühle will supply parts to an independent watchmaker or will I have to ship it back to Germany? It was keeping excellent time and still in warranty so didn’t need a service but I expect a new crystal and full service (possible new dial) is the only way to proceed.

On the plus side, it is only a watch and it landed directly face down so the case is fine! Every cloud :-).
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 29th May 2021 at 18:10.

You have my sympathies...I've done this before, albeit with a very cheap Seiko 5. Probably 12-years later I'm still very wary of tiled floors like the ones you get in holiday apartments!

If case undamaged then an independent ought to be able to replace the crystal rather than sending away to Muhle

Grand Master
    Definitely do not allow the watch to run, keep the crown out. I suggest taping it to prevent it getting knocked and allowing the watch to restart. Fragments of glass could scratch the dial if they get caught under the hands, that would spoil the dial. A repairer will remove the back, take the auto- winding bridge off and power the mainspring down.

Sourcing a replacement glass is easy if a generic is available that fits. I assume the glass fits into a plastic gasket which shoukd be OK to re- use, if not a replacement needs to be sourced and hopefully a generic that’s readily available would fit.

One of the tricky aspects of replacing a broken glass is measuring it accurately, not easy if it’s in pieces. The diameter of the replacement has to be exactly correct to 0.1mm, if there’s doubt about the measurement 2 or 3 glasses have to be ordered to get the right size, not a problem with cheap mineral glasses at £2 each but not ideal with sapphires at around £12 each.

Thanks for the replies and as usual great advice. On closer inspection the edge of the bezel has taken a ding but nothing that I expect would compromise the fitting of a new crystal. I’m also not sure if the entire dial is now slightly off centre (maybe illusion of cracked crystal or maybe dial feet have broken?).

This could end up being beyond economical repair for me. It could cost more to put it right than what I paid in the first place! Annoying as it’s only 6 months old!

Must remind myself, it’s only a watch!!

Master
    Could you try claiming on your house insurance?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Could you try claiming on your house insurance?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Unfortunately, I really don’t think it would be worth the inevitable increased premiums for this one. The watch has an RRP of £1200 but cost me £460.

It’s more bothering as it’s been the favourite watch I’ve owned in a long time, and I just ordered a new ZuluDiver Nato for it last night :-)!

Master
    Sorry to hear -Wonder if keeping it face down for now would help minimise dial damage

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Sorry to hear -Wonder if keeping it face down for now would help minimise dial damage
    Haha. My wife said the same thing to me and for once I listened to her!

Thanks also.

Master
    Take a sledge hammer to the floor. Make it 1 all :)

Master
    Take this opportunity to mod it with a Plexi

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Take a sledge hammer to the floor. Make it 1 all :)
    :-) Think I’ll stick with the 1-0!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Take this opportunity to mod it with a Plexi
    I’m thinking I might just go with a slightly domed sapphire if it’s available. I’ve measure the crystal at 33mm which seems to be a ‘normal’ size. Although my measuring could be off. Anyway, an independent should be able to sort this for less than sending back to Germany so hope is not lost.

Remember to install carpets throughout the house!

You have my sympathies. My Speedmaster met with the same fate a few weeks ago.
    Fortunately it’s plexi, so I won’t be doing anything to it until it’s due for a service.

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What a shame - hope you manage to get an economic repair sorted.

A useful reminder why Seiko has stuck (largely) with Hardlex crystals on their divers.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I was reminded of this thread while glueing the handle back on to my mug from a small drop this morning. Since moving into a new place with tiled floors throughout, we've lost a large proportion of our crockery and other bits a pieces. So far only dropped one watch, which detached one of the hands, but it was only a cheapie so a useful lesson learned. I now have to lean over the bed or sofa to put on any decent watches.

Update to thread. Managed to get the watch sorted with a new sapphire crystal. No more putting it on over a tiled floor!

Some war wounds at the top of the bezel and a couple of very small pin pricks on the dial from the glass, but thankfully nothing major. Glad to have it back on the wrist.

Last edited by Mr Tetley; 29th May 2021 at 18:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Update to thread. Managed to get the watch sorted with a new sapphire crystal. No more putting it on over a tiled floor!

Some war wounds at the top of the bezel and a couple of very small pin pricks on the dial from the glass, but thankfully nothing major. Glad to have it back on the wrist.

Excellent. Nice to see it saved

Glad it worked out. Looks great.

Master
    All’s well that ends well. The only one I’ve dropped was a g-shock fortunately. Touch wood.

Master
    Excellent recovery from 1-nil after injury time.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post

Glad to hear it's turned out well!

That's a lovely watch too, it caught my eye due to similarity to my Nomos which I also dropped on a tile floor 😄

It's always nice to hear when someone really enjoys their watch 🙂

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glad it's sorted and don't worry about the minor marks - every watch needs its history!