closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 36-38mm watch for 6 inch wrists up to £2k

36-38mm watch for 6 inch wrists up to £2k

Long time lurker in this forum with skinny wrists 😂 I really fancy treating myself to something i'll probably keep forever. Been looking at mostly these:

1) oris 65 36mm 'vintage' diver
    2) omega seamaster smp mid size (used)
    3) tudor black Bay 58 (way out the budget, and has no date which is annoying But love the style of it and it might hold its value better?

Am I missing anything else? An omega speedy reduced might have worked but been put off by alleged running costs.

I want a watch that makes others go... Yeah.. That's a nice watch.

Is there anything about a used seamaster I should be aware of? Is the blue and black equally sought after? A lot seem to be quartz too which I'm not against but automatic always feels like it's the real deal then?

My main issue is trying on a used seamaster isn't available to me unless I can get lucky with a local one.

Really happy to have any other suggestions.. Kinda like Divers watches as always wanted one. Prefer black so it goes with anything.
    Last edited by richie-t; 16th May 2021 at 21:04.

You can try on a new Seamaster in a shop, you're not obliged to buy one :)

One of the Grand Seiko 37mm 9F watches might be a good shout and you'll comfortably get one within budget. Also a very simple watch to maintain if you're a 'one watch' type of guy who doesn't want to worry about servicing, accuracy etc.
    Last edited by M1011; 17th May 2021 at 01:12.

I have similarly sized wrists (about 6 1/4”). I have a used SMP midsize which I’m wearing right now and I love it. I also have an Oris 65 36mm on order which should be here in a week or so.
    Another recent pick up was the Grand Seiko SBGX259- quartz, but quartz with a purpose and it wears beautifully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    One of the Grand Seiko 37mm 9F watches might be a good shout and you'll comfortable get one within budget. Also a very simple watch to maintain if you're a 'one watch' type of guy who doesn't want to worry about servicing, accuracy etc.
    Jinx

Nomos...

Quote Originally Posted by richie-t View Post
    i'll probably keep forever.

[...]

1. You might find these criteria to be mutually exclusive. Buy for yourself - you’ll tire of whatever you’ve strapped to your wrist for the approval of others.

2. BB36.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No one really cares about other peoples watches bar a few like us ... so buy what you want ... and if it’s a keeper take your time.

From your post I’d stretch to a 58.

I have worn Rolex and Omega regularly and the only time someone said 'That's a nice watch' I was wearing a Tissot

Master
    Blog Entries
    What about a Tudor Black Bay 36

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    What about a Tudor Black Bay 36
    Aye.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    2. BB36.

Older model (39-mm) Ebel 1911 chronograph gets my vote.

The even older versions had Zenith El Primero inside. You can get those for about 2K.

These are cool watches. Very high quality finish.

Of course Rolex old school 36mm DateJust is hard to beat.

Last edited by JPE; 16th May 2021 at 23:11.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Of course Rolex old school 36mm DateJust is hard to beat
    A Datejust for £2k? Good luck with that nowadays.
    One of the Grand Seiko 37mm 9F watches might be a good shout and you'll comfortable get one within budget. Also a very simple watch to maintain if you're a 'one watch' type of guy who doesn't want to worry about servicing, accuracy etc.
    This is a very very good suggestion at this price point. I realise you'd prefer a mechanical but these 9F powered Grand Seikos are not 'just' a quartz watch. The tech in them is astonishing and they are a 'watch for life' so to speak. There's a good write up here: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ith-caliber-9f

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    A Datejust for £2k? Good luck with that nowadays.
    Good point. Maybe Oyster Precision then? I guess even those are around 3K around these days too, huh?

Apprentice

Lots of good suggestions. I have both a GS 37mm quartz (sbgx261) and a midsize omega Seamaster (2252.50). Both are great options. Also the Tudor BB36 as folks have suggested. The older 36mm omega aqua terras (eg 2518.80), both quartz and auto, would be within your budget. Finally the iwc Pilot 36 can be found pre-owned in your budget if you are patient.

Last edited by jodydavis; 17th May 2021 at 02:06.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    As you a re small of wrist a 34mm Airking would suit nicely and a used one would be achievable with your budget.

Not a diver I know but would fit with your “others to like” criteria.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Good point. Maybe Oyster Precision then? I guess even those are around 3K around these days too, huh?
    Not sure but certainly the smaller 34mm models will be closer to budget.

If you want something that will stand the test of time, I would be cautious in buying something that is hugely popular right now.

if you were open to non-divers, a Nomos with an alpha movement or BB36 are solid bets, and very versatile. A Sinn 556 might also be worth looking at though a bit bigger...

Other options in your brief

Rado captain cook 37mm
    Marathon MSAR (fairly under budget)
    Longines legend diver 36 (personal pick if it had to be a diver: it’s marketed as a women’s watch but I see no reason for that, if you pick the black dial)

If you like a simple classic design, for this price, I would go for a 34mm rolex op/air king (and I'm not a pro rolex usually)

They actually wear bigger than the size suggests when on bracelet, and they're still relatively a value proposition with plenty of choices. Would definitely fit a 6inch wrist nicely

* I have one and I have close to 7 inch wrists

36mm, 2 grand budget, simple design? With all that in mind I don’t think you can do better than a Tudor Black Bay 36, fantastic watch, does it all.

Big thanks for all of your replies and suggestions. Definitely a few other options in there for me to try out. Quite like the look of the tudor BB36! Not sure why but Nomos brand just isn't for me.

Will update the thread when I've decided what to plump for...

Master
    I too have Nano wrists & echo a lot of the suggestions below.

I have been on a journey trying quite a few watches & think that the 37-38mm dia. is a great fit for your size wrist.

Watches upto 40mm can also look good & wear very comfortably if they are slim & don't have an excessive lug to lug length :-
    Omega 2254.50 or 2255.80 (or quartz versions of the same) would fit this category & work for you, more so on a strap than bracelet.

Similarly watches down to 34mm are also a great option, but I find they can make a skinny wrist look even more so when on a strap, but with a braclet look perfect :-
    As below, an older Rolex OP/Air King or Tudor Prince Oysterdate on the Oyster bracelet are very solid options.

Buying vintage will also open up a lot of watches in the 36 - 38mm size bracket, but you will obviously need to be more careful when buying.

Having said all that if it is a one watch purchase that you think you will want to keep for a long time - it is hard to look further than the BB58 as it ticks a lot of your wish list.
    It's a lot of watch for the money (in comparison to similar alternatives) & will be great on your size wrist with any strap or bracelet combination.

Master
    Entirely outside of your choices but plenty of vintage chrono’s come in at 36mm and no larger than 38mm.
    Wittnauer , Gallet , Tissot , Lemania , Leonidas and others . Some absolute beauties sharing movement and cases of the bigger more expensive brands of the time.
    The Ebel El Primero is a great shout from a previous post
    For a manual simple 3 hander a Rolex Precision is hard to beat

I've got similarly small wrists, and can heartily recommend the 36mm PRS-25. It's way under your budget, and although not a 'big name' to most people it just exudes class and you can wear it with anything. You could take a chance on one, and if it isn't for you then you'd have zero problem moving it on without losing anything.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Theres a nice Zenith el primero on Chrono24 at less than £2k. (No connection)

Also a couple that fit the bill on SC !

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

A Grand Seiko 9F High Accuracy Quartz really is sensational - hand-finished & hand-assembled to a surprising extent, interesting heritage and the dial, hands & indices are like a light-show on the wrist. Very low-maintenance and the perfect size too. At full price new it’s about the best you can do with your budget, but keep an eye out for a used one on here - at a bit over £1k it’s a ridiculous bargain - bank the rest of the budget and save for another watch.

However, if impressing others is your aim (and there’s nothing wrong with that at all), then you may eventually tire of explaining to others that your gorgeous watch is more than ‘just’ a Seiko, and more than ‘just’ a Quartz. Shouldn’t matter of course, but that’s the reality. I have one and I adore it.

If you want a diver and brand cachet, then a Seamaster mid-size is perfect. I have a fluctuating love-hate relationship with the aesthetics of the older models, but in blue (a la the Pierce Brosnan Bond era) they are a very compelling watch and a bit of a modern classic. Really hard to go wrong there.

If you want something new at the budget, then a Black Bay 36 is terrific. I don’t have any truck with the ‘just’ an ETA 2824-2 brigade The Black Bay range reveal most of their charms up close. Perfect all-rounder, well made & great looking.

Adding little that others haven’t already mentioned, but then there’s likely a good reason for that...

Although not new watches I have always liked how my 38mm Tag//Heuer divers wear especially on Natos.

Craftsman
    Big thanks for all of your replies and suggestions. Definitely a few other options in there for me to try out. Quite like the look of the tudor BB36! Not sure why but Nomos brand just isn't for me.

Will update the thread when I've decided what to plump for...
    For what it's worth, the only time anyone ever complimented me on my watch, I was wearing a NOMOS!

Personally think if you want something that other people will notice it's got to be something a bit distinctive, so that would steer me away from a lot of the suggestions in here because while they're all nice watches that I'd like to own, they're not going to get attention. You need to think outside the box a little bit. The Grand Seiko 9F watches in your size are not the more interesting ones in the collection, but they are strap monsters so you can mess around and make them pop. I bet you'd get more interest from some of the more out there Presage models though and save yourself some money.

Longines make a nice tuxedo dial that would fit the bill, or there's a lot of Bauhaus watches like the Junghans Max Bill (guessing that's not your thing though). Or go full on peacock and stick a Cartier Santos on a red strap :D

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    36mm, 2 grand budget, simple design? With all that in mind I don’t think you can do better than a Tudor Black Bay 36, fantastic watch, does it all.

I owned one briefly.

What doesn't come across in most pics is that the dial writing is silver, not white, and, unless the light angle is such that the letters are reflecting, you have a sterile-looking black dial.

And, like anything rolex/tudor, the lume is really, really poor.

I expected to like it, but it turned out to be a bit marmite.

To the original question,

If you're after 'recognisable' branding, from the dive watches you list, the answer is the Omega.

I'd recommend trying a 2254 or 64, before committing to midsize. The 2254 is only 11mm thick, and wears much more nicely than modern hockey pucks.

If, from that, you decide to go midsize, I'd recommend a sword- hand midsize. Which is black. If you go for a different model, don't go blue, omega blue is an odd colour that goes with just about zero natos.

...buy online and your consumer rights mean you have 14 days to return it in the condition received, if you find it not to your taste.
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 18th May 2021 at 11:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    I owned one briefly.

What doesn't come across in most pics is that the dial writing is silver, not white, and, unless the light angle is such that the letters are reflecting, you have a sterile-looking black dial.

To the original question,

If you're after 'recognisable' branding, from the dive watches you list, the answer is the Omega.

I'd recommend trying a 2254 or 64, before committing to midsize. The 2254 is only 11mm thick, and wears much more nicely than modern hockey pucks.

If, from that, you decide to go midsize, I'd recommend a sword- hand midsize. Which is black. If you go for a different model, don't go blue, omega blue is an odd colour that goes with just about zero natos.

...buy online and your consumer rights mean you have 14 days to return it in the condition received, if you find it not to your taste.
    Wait, what? Since when does Tudor/Rolex suffer from poor lume?

Re: And, like anything rolex/tudor, the lume is really, really poor.

Really??

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Although not new watches I have always liked how my 38mm Tag//Heuer divers wear especially on Natos.

I like it a lot.

Something a bit quickly and different (so not to everybody's taste) but size fits and well within budget s/h.

Size is 37.5 without crown and very slim at 11mm while still being 250m w/r.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 18th May 2021 at 20:18.

Apprentice
    Sounds as if the proposed PRS 60 could be right up your drainpipe - or the Baby Dreadnought or even Rado Captain Cook (37 or 38mm?)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Something a bit quickly and different (so not to everybody's taste) but size fits and well within budget s/h.

Size is 37.5 without crown and very slim at 11mm while still being 250m w/r.
    That's a lovely watch and a great suggestion, but the OP would be very lucky to find one in such fantastic condition.

Master
    Blog Entries

It looks like you can barely see it lol!

Craftsman
    Wait, what? Since when does Tudor/Rolex suffer from poor lume?
    Every one I've owned. One 16610, two 16710s and a bb36.

All, worse lume brightness and longevity than just about any watch using SL.

One of the reasons I stopped believing in the brand - finding myself 'charging' the watches with a uv light when going to bed in order to have thru-night legibility and realising ' wait a minute, this is a £Xk watch'.

(And, that LOL lume shot by Gav, presumably after 'charging, is, sorry, not actually looking very bright - which reflects reality :) )

(Edit to add: for the sake of accuracy, one of the 16710s was bought new in 1990 with tritium, for the first 5 years, it was bright enough to read a map with at night. The other watches were all whatever non-tritium lume rolex used in its place.)
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 19th May 2021 at 08:03.

All my modern Tudors and Rolexes have fantastic lume.

Journeyman
    I don’t own one but I hope modern Rolex with Chromalight have actually good lume no ?

Yeah I think Chromalight is good. My 114270 though has pretty poor lume - certainly well below any of my Seikos

Craftsman
    Am I missing anything else? An omega speedy reduced might have worked but been put off by alleged running costs.
    Mrs Usedtobelurch has a Speedy reduced. It's never been great, has needed repairing a number of times and less and less people seem to want to work on it. Plus it's not water resistant like your preferred diver would be.

I owned one briefly.

Really? I had the 41mm version for about a year and didn’t notice either of those issues. Dial never looked sterile to me, and the lume was really good. My only regret was that I didn’t get the 36 instead as I ended up not liking the 41’s size.

Every one I've owned. One 16610, two 16710s and a bb36.

All, worse lume brightness and longevity than just about any watch using SL.

One of the reasons I stopped believing in the brand - finding myself 'charging' the watches with a uv light when going to bed in order to have thru-night legibility and realising ' wait a minute, this is a £Xk watch'.

(And, that LOL lume shot by Gav, presumably after 'charging, is, sorry, not actually looking very bright - which reflects reality :) )

(Edit to add: for the sake of accuracy, one of the 16710s was bought new in 1990 with tritium, for the first 5 years, it was bright enough to read a map with at night. The other watches were all whatever non-tritium lume rolex used in its place.)
    Modern Rolex/Tudor lume seems to be widely accepted as being very good, can't say I've ever heard anyone say otherwise which was why your comment surprised me. I can't speak for vintage though, that tritium watch is older than me!

Craftsman
    Modern Rolex/Tudor lume seems to be widely accepted as being very good, can't say I've ever heard anyone say otherwise which was why your comment surprised me. I can't speak for vintage though, that tritium watch is older than me!
    😂
    Fair enough - I have no experience of 6 digit Rolex. But the bb36's lume didn't deliver through-the-night legibility.

I finally got to my local tudor AD... Tried on the BB58 and that was a really nice fit on my wrist.

They didn't have any BB36 in stock so couldn't try that on.

I've read that the 58 bracelet is a bit naff on adjustment so I think it might just come down to whether it sizes OK for my specific wrist or not. Would feel a bit annoyed blowing almost 3k (which is insane for me) on something that is loose or too tight.

But at the moment... The 58 is in the lead 👍