closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does Anyone Know About Pocket Watches?

Does Anyone Know About Pocket Watches?

Good evening all,

This is my late godfather's pocket watch about which I know nothing but I am father interested as I can't find a good reference style resource on the internet.

The marks I can see are:
    EW
    1 of 75
    3436 (the number is on the dial and the case)
    L (I think dating it to 1860-1)
    18 (I assume carat)

The case, dial and handset all seem to be designs used by multiple manufacturers so I'm guessing they're some sort of kit. Unfortunately I can't open the back easily and don't want to further damage the thing. Apologies if these photos are upside down etc = imgbb is being odd.

Any information or ideas would be interesting!

Thank you

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    Good evening all,

This is my late godfather's pocket watch about which I know nothing but I am father interested as I can't find a good reference style resource on the internet.

The marks I can see are:
    EW
    1 of 75
    3436 (the number is on the dial and the case)
    L (I think dating it to 1860-1)
    18 (I assume carat)

The case, dial and handset all seem to be designs used by multiple manufacturers so I'm guessing they're some sort of kit. Unfortunately I can't open the back easily and don't want to further damage the thing. Apologies if these photos are upside down etc = imgbb is being odd.

Any information or ideas would be interesting!

Thank you

Ed
    This pic looks like the Leopards head assay mark for London on the right hand side
    If that is a capital L in a shield on the left (Sorry but pics aren't great) it dates it to 1886

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    This pic looks like the Leopards head assay mark for London on the right hand side
    If that is a capital L in a shield on the left (Sorry but pics aren't great) it dates it to 1886
    Thanks Kevin - had another crack and managed to get a halfway decent pic I hope!

It certainly looks like an L but I think its a box with chamfered edges.

L in a chamfered box for London is either 1946 or 1806

Can't find much on the makers mark to match those dates.

I think you need to get the back off and see if there any clues on the movement.

The case maker could always buy in movments but it might help
    Last edited by Kevin; 16th May 2021 at 21:32.

Yep, definitely hallmarked for London 1886. EW is the sponsor (for assaying), there were a couple of casemakers using these initials in the late 19th century - Edward Walker in Clerkenwell and Ebenezer White and Edward Wilday in Coventry. Probably Walker as it was assayed in London.

I wouldn't necesarily agree with 1886 Tha capital L is definitley in a shield not a lozenge for 1886

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/...1876-1895.html

Thank you all!

I'm flabbergasted at the quality of this dial if it really is that old; it's so beautifully crisp. Next stop the jewellers to have a peak inside I think!

Thanks,

Ed

I’m no expert, but despite the serifs on the L I’d say 1946 was just as likely. The leopard looks more modern as does the lozenge around the L.

But where would the fun be without some ambiguity? Looking forward to seeing a picture of the movement.

Master
    I've just been given something very similar so looked here https://www.gold-traders.co.uk/hallmarks/results.asp and that suggests 1806 for this one.

Mine is 1916 I think but very similar dial. I'm going to look for a chain so that I can wear it at least once!

Last edited by deepreddave; 17th May 2021 at 20:10.