closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Antiques Roadshow on now...

Master

Antiques Roadshow on now...

There’s going to be a Submariner of some description on if anyone interested.

Red writing 1680.

Ahead of the article, I'll guess the valuation at £15-20k.

;-)

Master
    Game on 😃

I know the best part of nothing about them. I noticed the red writing but means nothing to me😳

Master
    That was a bit emotional. Bless him

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quite correct Mike👍

£20k with two old Oyster bracelets and original guarantee booklet and purchase receipt.

And this time, the immortal AR words, "I'm never going to sell it" are true.

Lovely watch.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

beautiful watch... and I'd almost say £20k with 3 bracelets and the original receipt etc is somewhat undervalued...

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    beautiful watch... and I'd almost say £20k with 3 bracelets and the original receipt etc is somewhat undervalued...
    I’d agree - prices have probably strengthened a little since then.

When I watch Antiques Roadshow, I usually know nothing about the subject matter, but when a supposed expert describes bracelets as 'straps', I wonder how knowledgeable any of them are about anything?

Next week, someone turns up with Jacques Cousteau's personal flippers and goggles?

Or Fangio's Mercedes go kart?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Yes, that annoyed me, calling bracelets, straps. My missus was impressed as I said at the start, £15/20k.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

I told my missus that it was a Mk IV dial and worth about £20k

She was not impressed and indeed called me a saddo.

Master
    The estimated price was £20,000. Mind you, they had a pearl the size of a marble with an estimated value of £200,000.......all a bit rich for my blood. And every other shot, it was pouring with rain.
    One of the female ‘experts’ appeared to be wearing a rather nice Cartier.
    Last edited by paskinner; 16th May 2021 at 21:20.

Master
    Puts into perspective eBay sellers listing brand new 41mm OPs for £8-9,000!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Puts into perspective eBay sellers listing brand new 41mm OPs for £8-9,000!
    Why? They're totally different watches and probably appeal to different buyers.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post

Genuine LOL.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post

Brilliant, made me laugh.
    I read it out to SWMBO and also got that all knowing smile LOL

Beautiful watch and fantastic provenance for the family.

Master
    I watched it and it was obvious from the mans emotional response that the watch meant something to him. His father bought the watch years ago and passed it down to his son who will almost certainly pass it on to his son.

A lesson to be learned methinks.

Master
    My first thought was why take something like that to AR in the first place?

It’s his late Fathers watch, not going to sell it he said, that would be the value for me, not its now huge value caused by Rolex collectors/speculators.

Getting a valuation for insurance purposes wouldn’t really work for me either, it’s not like you could replace something so sentimental.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    When I watch Antiques Roadshow, I usually know nothing about the subject matter, but when a supposed expert describes bracelets as 'straps', I wonder how knowledgeable any of them are about anything?

Next week, someone turns up with Jacques Cousteau's personal flippers and goggles?

Or Fangio's Mercedes go kart?

M

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I watched it and it was obvious from the mans emotional response that the watch meant something to him. His father bought the watch years ago and passed it down to his son who will almost certainly pass it on to his son.

A lesson to be learned methinks.
    You never really own a Rolex you merely look after it for the next generation... oh hold on wrong brand.

clearly the man had no idea about the value of the watch, and its it clearly of no interest from a re sale point of view ,but he needs to know and thats a good enough reason to take the watch to the AR , he needs to insure it and for its value ( cant put a price on sentimental value) if he were ever to lose it a replacement would not be the same ,but at leat he will get the correct value not some generic house insurance value or a discounted voucher for goldsmiths .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    clearly the man had no idea about the value of the watch, and its it clearly of no interest from a re sale point of view ,but he needs to know and thats a good enough reason to take the watch to the AR , he needs to insure it and for its value ( cant put a price on sentimental value) if he were ever to lose it a replacement would not be the same ,but at leat he will get the correct value not some generic house insurance value or a discounted voucher for goldsmiths .
    I’m sure that the way they get such items with back stories onto the show isn’t just left to chance, especially with your immaculately turned out wife and kids in tow.

Is an AR valuation even recognised by insurers? Maybe it was as a result of an approach to a valuer that they ended up there.

Lovely watch though, and a real treasure.

Wonder if the expert gives them any advice going forward. Rolex could destroy that watch and its value in a few weeks.

Get rid of that dangerous tritium and that old dial and scratched bezel - don't worry Sir, we will have this looking like new in no time. Would you like some lovely new Luminova hands so you can tell the time in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Wonder if the expert gives them any advice going forward. Rolex could destroy that watch and its value in a few weeks.

Get rid of that dangerous tritium and that old dial and scratched bezel - don't worry Sir, we will have this looking like new in no time. Would you like some lovely new Luminova hands so you can tell the time in the dark.
    True, if your clueless about a Rolex Submariner your going to be clueless about what could happen at service, your probably also clueless about how much a vintage service would set you back.

I suppose without asking for just a movement service, they could replace (after quote) the hands, dial, super dome, crown and even suggest a new case and case back if they deem it damaged, would be tragic on such an heirloom..

Master
    Maybe worth remembering that these type of ‘reality’ shows are a partly fictional construct.....a heavily edited and scripted piece of film. Right down to the emotional reactions and the final price ‘reveal.’ As a result, they tend to be more entertaining but I hardly think you can take them too seriously.
    Must be old age, but I mildly enjoy them. It’s tv! All for ratings. They couldn’t care less about Rolex....it’s just a good name to use. Lots of sentimental stories, surprise , extreme ‘values’. Harmless fun.
    My partner pretended to be impressed that I guessed the price right. But she knows it’s all a game.
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th May 2021 at 08:52.

Master
    A bit OT but I was in Goldsmiths the other week and a chap was picking up a new Submariner date. Goldsmiths told him that he should insure it and they would be more than willing to offer a formal valuation for £120!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

Is an AR valuation even recognised by insurers?

I felt sorry for his Kids, poor little devils looked utterly miserable/ bored, then Dad only goes and starts piping his eye on National telly, bet they got some stick at school.

Master
    Probably, a mate of mine appeared on a quiz show with his family when we at school, he got the p*ss ripped out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I felt sorry for his Kids, poor little devils looked utterly miserable/ bored, then Dad only goes and starts piping his eye on National telly, bet they got some stick at school.