closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: PSA - Free Money

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

And mid way through writing it, I realised it really doesn't make any sense. There's no date, ho hacking seconds hand to worry about, no granular minutes markers and anyway it's a blunt tipped minute hand, so no visible accuracy to disrupt when changing time zones...it really doesn't make sense.

My guess is it's just a USP (and for good reason!).
    Thanks,

I am glad it wasn’t just me then, reading this thread and considering this problem existed in other watches I was a bit puzzled as to why Ming would create an unnecessary problem for himself.

Master
    I feel slightly bad for Ming regarding the hand alignment issue that seems to be plaguing this release, but at the same time seeing some of his/their replies to customers shows that they are doing themselves no favours at all. This is a perfect example of poor inter-company communication and a lack of quality control throughout the development process.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I feel slightly bad for Ming regarding the hand alignment issue that seems to be plaguing this release, but at the same time seeing some of his/their replies to customers shows that they are doing themselves no favours at all. This is a perfect example of poor inter-company communication and a lack of quality control throughout the development process.
    What have the company's responses been? I can only see what appear to be a good response in this thread thanks to Ryan posting the updates.

What have the company's responses been? I can only see what appear to be a good response in this thread thanks to Ryan posting the updates.
    Likewise, I thought the “We have sent our watchmakers back from their leave” comment a bit “Throw em under a bus” but other than that he seems keen to put things right so I don’t see a problem.

Not sure I'd be buying a Ming at all.

https://screwdowncrown.wordpress.com...tomer-service/

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not sure I'd be buying a Ming at all.

https://screwdowncrown.wordpress.com...tomer-service/
    Interesting read.

In the spirit of balance here though I don’t see an awful lot different here than the majority of micro brands, they are protecting themselves and are trying to grow. I have read the same more than enough times of people being knocked off a list, banned from a forum for being critical of a watch so that is nothing new.

The main point though, the seller didn’t like the lume on the hands. Yes, it’s a request by a buyer to replace the hands but then it’s pretty much down to the company if they choose to make that request, it may not be possible and Ming seem to have been more than reasonable in explaining why I am not sure what more they could have said and the best option all round was a refund. They make in small batches so a replacement probably wasn’t an option and I can’t see them having a spare handset knocking about to replace, it also seemed like the guy was trying to ramp up a bit of pressure by posting the issue prior to sending.

It reads like the guy writing it was hoping for a bit of shock horror, that’s what I was expecting. The reality was “Man buys watch, man didn’t like something on watch and contacted seller. Seller offered refund. Buyer wanted options so thought to post the issue all over the internet first. Seller takes watch, offers refund and moves on. Buyers toys and teddies all over the place”

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Interesting read.

In the spirit of balance here though I don’t see an awful lot different here than the majority of micro brands, they are protecting themselves and are trying to grow. I have read the same more than enough times of people being knocked off a list, banned from a forum for being critical of a watch so that is nothing new.

The main point though, the seller didn’t like the lume on the hands. Yes, it’s a request by a buyer to replace the hands but then it’s pretty much down to the company if they choose to make that request, it may not be possible and Ming seem to have been more than reasonable in explaining why I am not sure what more they could have said and the best option all round was a refund. They make in small batches so a replacement probably wasn’t an option and I can’t see them having a spare handset knocking about to replace, it also seemed like the guy was trying to ramp up a bit of pressure by posting the issue prior to sending.

It reads like the guy writing it was hoping for a bit of shock horror, that’s what I was expecting. The reality was “Man buys watch, man didn’t like something on watch and contacted seller. Seller offered refund. Buyer wanted options so thought to post the issue all over the internet first. Seller takes watch, offers refund and moves on. Buyers toys and teddies all over the place”
    Hyped up a bit yes but end result is guy sends back watch for warranty issue, watch company keep watch, issue refund, blacklist him from purchasing another watch, admit this is punishment for highlighting issues in public while claiming it's protecting their poor little micro brand which is merely trying to survive.

I did like their complimenting him on his packaging before keeping his watch. That was quite good.

Master
    I just typed a lengthy response on my phone and accidently hit the back button....but essentially if you have Instagram there's a lot of coverage on there from many different watch related pages.

It's become very fashionable to knock Ming in the past couple of days, hasn't it?

For what it's worth, this is still all perfectly functional.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    It's become very fashionable to knock Ming in the past couple of days, hasn't it?

Would you tolerate that from other brands? Most wouldn't.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the brand moving forward, I can't see any of this bad press doing the company any favours.

Our Watch Makers have been recalled from their summer holidays. Looks like they’re serious in saving face. Well done Ming.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Would you tolerate that from other brands? Most wouldn't.
    Tolerate what? A perfectly functional watch?

Send your watch in for a warranty repair/assesment and then they keep it and refund you. It's your watch, not theirs.

Send your watch in for a warranty repair/assesment and then they keep it and refund you. It's your watch, not theirs.
    I wasn't talking about any such thing, just my own satisfactory transaction with Ming.

That’s not how I understood it, they said they didn’t see a problem with it and they would only offer a refund but if he wanted to he could send it in for assessment. I am not sure if it was clear they would send it back or keep it regardless.

I think the point was the alignment of the hands. The hour hand is dead on eight - where's the minute hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I think the point was the alignment of the hands. The hour hand is dead on eight - where's the minute hand?
    The alignment is spot on, any perceived deviation in my pic is parallax.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    That’s not how I understood it, they said they didn’t see a problem with it and they would only offer a refund but if he wanted to he could send it in for assessment. I am not sure if it was clear they would send it back or keep it regardless.
    The other point Ming were making with the chap was him going on a tirade on social media before allowing Ming to inspect the watch.

Honestly the lume looks fine to me, I’ve seen far worse by more established brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The other point Ming were making with the chap was him going on a tirade on social media before allowing Ming to inspect the watch.

Honestly the lume looks fine to me, I’ve seen far worse by more established brands.

I thought Ming's explanation was reasonable, as were their options to replace the hands only if out of specification The guy whose watch was kept really should have confined his narrative to his communication with Ming,, rather than playing it out over social media.

Dave

Sent from my Google Pixelbook Go using Tapatalk

Reasonable explanation, still awful service.

Send your watch back for a warranty inspection and if we think it's fine we're keeping it. Have your refund.

No thanks.

Ming were quite clear

I suppose Gavin, the chap in question could have negotiated a return at his cost, if the manufacturer felt the hands were within spec.

D

You don’t have to do it but if you want to show perfect alignment, take a pic with both hour and minute hands at 12.00 oclcock position. It should clear any doubts.
    I think Ming is playing hardball regarding keeping the watch and issuing refund if they don’t see a problem and being a bit of a bully as if they want to penalise for someone having an issue or f they don’t think there is one. I have not seen any brand operate like this.

PSA - Free Money

I don’’t think it’s legal when you request a brand to check hand alignment for them to keep it if they disagree. What a shower of cretins.

Wouldn’t touch the brand with a barge pole now. Interesting they say they will replace watches out of alignment - since they are LEs , will they build more to do this? Smells like BS all round to me.

Master
    I don't believe that at all. It's clearly misaligned even from that angle.

PSA - Free Money

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I don’’t think it’s legal when you request a brand to check hand alignment for them to keep it if they disagree. What a shower of cretins.

Wouldn’t touch the brand with a barge pole now. Interesting they say they will replace watches out of alignment - since they are LEs , will they build more to do this? Smells like BS all round to me.
    Eh? Two different issues. Read properly.

PSA - Free Money

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Eh? Two different issues. Read properly.

It’s still complete horseshit. Imagine sending an original milsub into Rolex for hand alignment and Rolex say nah it’s fine so we will just keep it . Or even a new Cermit for same reason.

It’s a joke.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s still complete horseshit. Imagine sending an original milsub into Rolex for hand alignment and Rolex say nah it’s fine so we will just keep it . Or even a new Cermit for same reason.

It’s a joke.
    I'm pretty sure that they would have sent it back if he requested.

It was proposed before. So they said if they don't think there's an issue he can have a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Ming were quite clear

I suppose Gavin, the chap in question could have negotiated a return at his cost, if the manufacturer felt the hands were within spec.

D

Look at the wording- if they are ‘within spec for this watch’.
    What does that even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Look at the wording- if they are ‘within spec for this watch’.
    What does that even mean?
    Exactly. Bully tactics.

I do think the lume issue was overblown but the way Ming have chosen to handle it and then blacklist the buyer is completely unacceptable.

You can only share your "ownership experience" publicly if it's positive. Even though it's your money and your watch. Ming can GTFO.

Exactly. Bully tactics.

I do think the lume issue was overblown but the way Ming have chosen to handle it and then blacklist the buyer is completely unacceptable.

You can only share your "ownership experience" publicly if it's positive. Even though it's your money and your watch. Ming can GTFO.
    That is the thing with micro brands.
    Every time I have seen an issue that afffects most/ majority of a new release, an otherwise customer friendly brand suddenly blows it- have seen it Ocean 7, Makara, Kobold, Doxa, Crepas, H2O and so on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The only micro brand purchase which I've been 100% happy with was funnily enough one which seems to get a lot of flak on here - Christopher Ward.

All the three others had some minor niggle with build quality, customer service or reliability.

Wouldn’t touch the brand with a barge pole now.
    Let me get this straight. Does this mean you are going to pass on their upcoming £ 20,000 models?:-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Ming were quite clear

D

Ming are at fault, it is bad customer service

Within their defined Spec?
    Refunding on their terms, customers loses out on FX fees
    Customer blocked from future transactions, because they didn't like the customer posting on social media?

Flum was fair posting that he has not vendetata unless it is against arrested_time on instagram but that is a community joke .

I can not understand the popularity of this brand.

Brand heritage = no

Attractive watch = marmite

Technical excellence = no

Especially the latter item where they couldn’t even get it right across a small number of limited edition pieces, not mass produced items. Very poor QC.

I think people are being too harsh.
    Let them have an opportunity to deal with the hand alignment issue and pass judgement after that.
    Even a big reputable brand like Tudor had an issue with BB GMT. They dealt with it pretty well on the whole and I don’t think they suffered a loss of face.
    Ming has an opportunity to the same.
    These things happen. It is all about how the brand deals with it.
    The lume guy is an outlier, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think people are being too harsh.
    Let them have an opportunity to deal with the hand alignment issue and pass judgement after that.
    I agree

It is unfortunate for the brand that the Instagram posse have turned on them. As an example, Horomariobro really couldn’t hold himself in check. I think the fallout is likely to be more than they really merit. That will be a shame

D

Master
    Blog Entries
    What if the hands are 'within spec for this watch' ;)

If they are not and all gets solved, are customers wishing so still going to get 'free money' ?

If that's the case Raj, they've already failed.

I agree they need to be given a chance re QC but keeping the guy's watch and blacklisting him is worse than any lume or alignment issue.

Their bully boy tactics have put a lot of people off the brand. I wouldn't touch one.

I met crazyp the other week and saw his Ming collection - they are beautiful, seriously impressive watches, but even if they came out with my dream watch tomorrow I wouldn't buy one after this.

My take is the guy moaning about the lume was being a bit fussy, I have a couple of watches that are similar (especially if a black light is used to charge the lume). Once the initial glow had died down a bit, this sort of thing is not apparent at all. (E.g. MM300, Omega SM300MC and CWC diver) it’s a common feature for watches with large lume areas on hands and Ming are being truthful in their explanation as far as I am aware.

That said it does seem as if Ming shot themselves in the foot by declaring they will not return watches they deem to be within their spec. - who owns the watch? The customer bought the watch and has a right to ask questions if they feel something is not right. I am guessing Ming would have sold the returned watch to somebody on a waiting list who is less likely to moan.

Banning the customer from buying another of their watches is also strange. As it can only result in bad publicity. What is even stranger is the customer wanting to buy another of their watches after being treated badly the first time.

I guess any publicity is good publicity and it seems they may have learnt from the earlier customer service problems as they now want to resolve the hand issue. We will have to wait to see if they give another “it’s within our spec” answer to all owners - if they do I think it might be the end of the brand as I can’t see anyone want to deal with them again.

Good customer service turns customers in to repeat customers, lots of companies (not just watches) tend to forget this as soon as they have your money.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 5th August 2021 at 10:34.

Craftsman
    I suspect a lot of their market is made up of speculators anyway so I'm not sure if customer service is going to be a huge issue for them. What will hurt them is if the inflated prices start nose diving and the flippers start to make a loss.

I wonder how the guy who (allegedly) paid $30k for one of these feels now.

I don't believe that at all. It's clearly misaligned even from that angle.
    Then there's nothing I can do or say.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    I suspect a lot of their market is made up of speculators anyway so I'm not sure if customer service is going to be a huge issue for them. What will hurt them is if the inflated prices start nose diving and the flippers start to make a loss.

I wonder how the guy who (allegedly) paid $30k for one of these feels now.
    Where did this 30k rumour come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

That said it does seem as if Ming shot themselves in the foot by declaring they will not return watches they deem to be within their spec. - who owns the watch? The customer bought the watch and has a right to ask questions if they feel something is not right. I am guessing Ming would have sold the returned watch to somebody on a waiting list who is less likely to moan.
    I don’t think that’s the case; in this instance, they offered the refund because the buyer wasn’t happy with the hands and presumably would therefore not want to keep it. The buyer no doubt had the option to turn down the offer and have the watch returned.

Extrapolating this to all customers is a bit of a stretch IMHO.

Refusing to sell him another is within their rights; I’d have done the same in their shoes. They don’t need the aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I don’t think that’s the case; in this instance, they offered the refund because the buyer wasn’t happy with the hands and presumably would therefore not want to keep it. The buyer no doubt had the option to turn down the offer and have the watch returned.

Extrapolating this to all customers is a bit of a stretch IMHO.

Refusing to sell him another is within their rights; I’d have done the same in their shoes. They don’t need the aggro.
    They didn't offer a refund, they forced it.

Why would someone who sends their watch in for a warranty assesment/fix not want to keep it?

Your presumption doesn't make it, or you, correct.

Then there's nothing I can do or say.

It is defiantly misaligned.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I would agree, but if PH is happy with his watch that’s all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s not what the article said (only one side of the story shown admittedly)
    They said they would not return the watch if found to be within their spec. That is a bizarre approach to customer service.
    It’s essentially saying there is no warranty, you either put up with the faults or you can no longer own the watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

I don't know how you guys can tell without minute track marks and more pointed hour hands

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I don't know how you guys can tell without minute track marks and more pointed hour hands
    The 11 looks to be slightly behind as the minute hand is on the 12.