closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are there any gardeners out there - tree advice

Master

Are there any gardeners out there - tree advice

I planted a mountain ash about 4 yrs ago. I think maybe should have staked it for longer but it has now got quite a lean. The trunk is about 4” diameter.

It is planted within a paved area so I have driven a couple of wooden stakes down the side of it today and forced it vertical against the pavers . If I keep an eye on it and keep supporting it as it is will the wroots grow and anchor the trunk more vertically or am I in a losing battle

Craftsman
    Is it in an exposed area? Trees will lean if there are prevailing winds.

Craftsman
    I think once the roots are established, it is not so much that the prevailing wind that is pushing the tree over, it is more that the tree will tend not to grow so much on the side facing the wind, and more on the other side; over time this will make the tree lopsided, and give it a bent-over appearance.

Of course, a freak, gale force wind can still come along and push over a full grown tree.

Master
    I will persevere with the stakes and see how it goes.

Master
    It might take a year or two more to establish but the roots will be more than enough. Remember trees will always grow towards the south in the northern hemisphere.