closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PC related. what would this spec be worth?

PC related. what would this spec be worth?

Hi folks

a friend has upgraded his new pc and has offered me first dibs on his old one telling me to make him a fair offer. However not having looked into current pc specs for a long while I have no idea (especially with the crazy prices of graphics cards currently)

If anyone could offer any ballpark figures that would be great (and no, I am not trying to sell it here. If I don't buy it he will offer it elsewhere so this is purely a what's it worth thread)

Spec is as follows.... Original Aug 2018 purchase for 2.5k

Dell Alienware Area 51 r4

Original Spec

Processor Intel Core i9-7900X @ 3.30GHz

64GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti with 11GB RAM

500GB SSD plus 1TB HDD

however he subsequently upgraded.....

in April last year the SSD to a Samsung 970 Evo Plus*1TB*PCIe M.2 SSD

and in Aug 2020 he upgraded the graphics card to an MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GAMING Z TRIO Boost Graphics Card.

Any thoughts?

Thx
    Neil

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The 2080ti seems to sell for £1k+ so that’s probably your starting point. £1500ish seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    The 2080ti seems to sell for £1k+ so that’s probably your starting point. £1500ish seems reasonable.
    This one is a 1080Ti though, so worth rather less, but still more than a year ago!

Edit: Wait, is he looking to part with BOTH the 1080Ti and 2080Ti to leave himself with no GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    This one is a 1080Ti though, so worth rather less, but still more than a year ago!

Edit: Wait, is he looking to part with BOTH the 1080Ti and 2080Ti to leave himself with no GPU?
    I read it as he upgraded the PC he’s selling from a 1080 to a 2080. Presumably upgrading his own to a 30XX card.

Yes I believe it will be just the installed 2080 in the system for sale. No idea what he has done with the 1080 but my assumption is that's not included..... He has purchased a compete new system which arrives next month....

Blog Entries
    You can't be the buyer and the seller! I would ask him what he wanted for it and then decide. Too high, you pay too much, too low he'll think you're trying to steal it!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Yeah I have asked him what he wants and he's going to have a look around to guage some prices but his words "I'm not looking to make a killing from friends, just somwthing that we are both happy with"....

Unless he gives me a price, Ill start with the 1500 and see what his face says

Ultimately - it is used electronics.

I think people have gradually got used to expecting more/paying more for second-hand electronics/electrical items - where reliability and longevity have not increased.

Buy new with a warranty unless you get it cheap.

I would never spend decent money on out of date IT - it's bad enough that when new, often it's superseded almost at the time you purchase it!.

If gaming was my thing I would be reluctant at any more than £5-£600 TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    The graphics card market is a bit mad at the moment, used 2080Ti GPUs are fetching £700-1000 alone.

The CPU isn’t amazing versus the AMD Ryzen offerings, so the bulk of the value in the system is the graphics card, which is still excellent vs the unobtainable 3000 series cards, so I’d look to pay accordingly.
    Last edited by Tooks; 13th May 2021 at 22:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I would never spend decent money on out of date IT - it's bad enough that when new, often it's superseded almost at the time you purchase it!.

If gaming was my thing I would be reluctant at any more than £5-£600 TBH.
    It's far from out of date, unfortunately the PC hardware manufacturers have deployed the clothing market's tactics of things being out of date, when in reality plenty of brand new games can't take real advantage of a lot of the cutting edge GPU hardware etc. anyway.

Also, if people thought Rolex waiting lists were bad, they've not experienced the GPU market, with bot nets being used to buy up all supply and resell at substantial mark up.

You couldn't buy the GPU alone for what you're suggesting he buy the whole PC for! Those days are gone, until the GPU manufacturers stop limiting supply.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 13th May 2021 at 22:49.