closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow

Master
    Blog Entries

Snow

Didn't have any where we live but 15min drive to Cannock chase.....

Grand Master
    Horrible white shite, my area of West Yorks hasn’t seen any yet and that suits me.

If I never experienced snow again I won’t be sorry, best place for it is on Christmas cards.

I recall having to abandon my car in snow twice and struggling to get to work and back in winter, I split the back of my head open as a youngster after falling on ice and in a separate incident I fell and knocked myself out cold, had concussion for 2 days and that’s not nice.

White shite.......hate it! Hopefully global warming will make snow a very rare event in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Horrible white shite, my area of West Yorks hasn’t seen any yet and that suits me.

If I never experienced snow again I won’t be sorry, best place for it is on Christmas cards.

I recall having to abandon my car in snow twice and struggling to get to work and back in winter, I split the back of my head open as a youngster after falling on ice and in a separate incident I fell and knocked myself out cold, had concussion for 2 days and that’s not nice.

White shite.......hate it! Hopefully global warming will make snow a very rare event in the UK.
    Yay .
    Global warming is the way forward

Calm down with the language WW.

Another fan of the snow here, and our poodle loves it too. Our walk yesterday.

Oh, the white stuff

Master
    Blog Entries
    We had about 6 inches in Heath Hayes Cannock.

Master
    Blog Entries

I can't work out which Mr man mug would suit you. Mr grumpy or Mr clumsy....

Evolution is clearly going the wrong way for him
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Give me one good reason to like the white shite!

OK, perhaps the head injuries tainted my opinion, I was 12/13 when they happened and I admit to carrying out a less than effective risk assessment; on both occasions I was trying to run quickly with scant regard to the conditions.

I spent 35years driving to work and back over high ground that was a serious ‘ challenge’ when snow fell, abandoning your car and setting off on foot in a blizzard in order to get home is no fun, I did this twice and that’s twice too many for me.

As a promising athlete in my younger days ( I could've been a contender) I combined a full- time job with 60 miles/week running in all weathers including snow and sleet. Falling over and getting back up was all part of the fun when snow and ice was around, but like being kicked in the balls every 15 minutes you got used to it but never enjoyed it.

Overnight snow meant one thing, you had to get up early to dig the cars out in order to attempt the white knuckle ride to work, all good character- building stuff.

Seriously, there’s no up- side to the white shite, some silly bastards enjoy tying planks of wood round their feet and sliding down hills covered in the stuff, but I’m not one of ‘em.

I hate the stuff with a vengeance!

Buy a Subaru. Buy winter tyres for said car.

Enjoy the snow.

Master
    Paul, the expletives will get you a ban if you’re not careful and that would be a shame. Some judicious editing will avert that outcome.

...but like being kicked in the balls every 15 minutes you got used to it but never enjoyed it.
    I’m sorry but it was this bit that stopped me in my tracks...How many times do you need to be kicked in the knackers until you get use to it?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Buy a Subaru. Buy winter tyres for said car.

Enjoy the snow.
    Mitigate the risk 100% and don’t drive to work when it snows......it’s called retirement!

My car’s like a pig on a stateboard when it snows, best place for it is on the driveway.

I have a pair of walking boots with good tread for winter, that’ll do me.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I’m sorry but it was this bit that stopped me in my tracks...How many times do you need to be kicked in the knackers until you get use to it?
    If my experience is anything to go by, it's 314 times. It does feel like a real achievement though.

I once worked in a packaging manufacturing plant just outside York. I used to get a static shock though my testicles about every three seconds of the working day. I had to leave as I was worried that I might start to enjoy it. I felt bad taking my albeit measly pay packet every week.
    Last edited by Templogin; 29th December 2020 at 12:52.

Grand Master
    Couple of inches of the horrible stuff fell overnight in Wakefield, hadn’t expected that!

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    If my experience is anything to go by, it's 314 times. It does feel like a real achievement though.

I once worked in a packaging manufacturing plant just outside York. I used to get a static shock though my testicles about every three seconds of the working day. I had to leave as I was worried that I might enjoy it. I felt bad taking my albeit measly pay packet every week.

Well, that explains it.

I recall having to abandon my car in snow twice and struggling to get to work and back in winter...
    If you need your car to go to work it is your responsibility to make sure it can face the conditions. It's not rocket surgery, it's called winter tyres if you want to be safe in winter, or chains if you just don't want to be stuck in the white stuff).

Then you can be properly mobile, regardless of the car...

Master
    Give me one good reason to like the white shite!

OK, perhaps the head injuries tainted my opinion, I was 12/13 when they happened and I admit to carrying out a less than effective risk assessment; on both occasions I was trying to run quickly with scant regard to the conditions.

I spent 35years driving to work and back over high ground that was a serious ‘ challenge’ when snow fell, abandoning your car and setting off on foot in a blizzard in order to get home is no fun, I did this twice and that’s twice too many for me.

As a promising athlete in my younger days ( I could've been a contender) I combined a full- time job with 60 miles/week running in all weathers including snow and sleet. Falling over and getting back up was all part of the fun when snow and ice was around, but like being kicked in the balls every 15 minutes you got used to it but never enjoyed it.

Overnight snow meant one thing, you had to get up early to dig the cars out in order to attempt the white knuckle ride to work, all good character- building stuff.

Seriously, there’s no up- side to the white shite, some silly bastards enjoy tying planks of wood round their feet and sliding down hills covered in the stuff, but I’m not one of ‘em.

I hate the stuff with a vengeance!
    Perhaps you should have moved to a warmer climate?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If you need your car to go to work it is your responsibility to make sure it can face the conditions. It's not rocket surgery, it's called winter tyres if you want to be safe in winter, or chains if you just don't want to be stuck in the white stuff).

Then you can be properly mobile, regardless of the car...

Henry Catchpole, top man. Caterham in the snow and not even wearing gloves! A points to life moment there.

Snowing pretty heavily again here as I type. So glad I moved the Chimaera out of its garage onto our driveway the night before the snow came . A TVR and salt impregnated snow, a perfect combo, not!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Turn the clock back to the 80s, cars were lighter and ran on slimmer tyres that were better suited to winter conditions. The tread patterns were generally better suited to snow than modern tyres. In those days winter tyres were virtually unheard of, the typical 165 tyre widths and tread patterns worked OK in winter. Front wheel drive cars, which became almost universally popular, generally had an advantage over rear wheel drive, I drove several examples of both and front wheel drive got my vote. A 1986 Astra 1.3 on skinny tyres was probably the best winter car I’ve owned, and I’ve owned a few. Worst car was a 1992 Toyota MR2, superb car but useless in snow, with the weight over the driven wheels it was easy to get moving, but once you had you wished you hadn’t because the car would try to spin at the least provocation.

Snow chains had their uses, but only in extreme conditions. A guy at work ysed to make them to order, I had a set but never needed them.

I’m sure St Know It All will have a reply that rubbishes what I’ve posted, his last one reminds me why I keep this sad individual on ignore, if people didn’t keep quoting him I could remain blissfully unaware of his ‘contributions’.

Master
    I live in Finland where we have proper winter most years (not last year though) and I've never had to abandon a car because of the conditions. Sometimes it's -30 degrees, sometimes very slippery. You use winter tires and take the conditions seriously.

I like snow for winter sports, cross country skiing is great.
    Last edited by china; 29th December 2020 at 18:52.

Snow chains had their uses, but only in extreme conditions. A guy at work ysed to make them to order, I had a set but never needed them.
    I recall having to abandon my car in snow twice and struggling to get to work and back in winter...

Only car I've ever had for which I didn't have snow tyres was a 2 CV, and yes those narrow tyres combined with FWD worked wonders.
    I've gone through quite a few snow storms driving in Eastern France, in Germany, to the Alps, even in the Pyrenées which was my usual mountain range of choice. I have never been stuck, let alone left in a situation where I had to abandon my car (although I once had to turn around and find another way because cars in front were completely stuck and blocking the road in Normandy, of all places).

What is it they say? Ignorance breeds fear?

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I live in Finland where we have proper winter most years (not last year though) and I've never had to abandon a car because of the conditions. Sometimes it's -30 degrees, sometimes very slippery. You use winter tires and take the conditions seriously.
    Agree, never had a problem with proper tires.

This is what I looked like living in Minnesota in winter. 5:30 a.m. clearing the driveway before shower and commute to work!

We moved to Southern California 29 years ago:

Blog Entries
    Minnesota pics is what my wife always shows me in her old childhood photo albums: living in Canada comes with snow...

Here, it’s still ‘green’. We had some in the North this morning, 100 miles from here.
    That’s all.

I hate driving and walking in snow/ice. When walking, I am slipping all over the show whilst everyone else is walking normally.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I hate driving and walking in snow/ice. When walking, I am slipping all over the show whilst everyone else is walking normally.
    Sounds like you need some footwear with decent grip. Or get some trackers. I on the other hand love it. Went up the three shires yesterday. Freezing, low cloud and very bleak. Not a soul around.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Didn't have any where we live but 15min drive to Cannock chase.....

I’m in Walsall and it has basically been crap all week. Haven’t been able to run at all. Pavements are now neck breakers, suitably depressing end to the year.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Turn the clock back to the 80s, cars were lighter and ran on slimmer tyres that were better suited to winter conditions. The tread patterns were generally better suited to snow than modern tyres. In those days winter tyres were virtually unheard of, the typical 165 tyre widths and tread patterns worked OK in winter. Front wheel drive cars, which became almost universally popular, generally had an advantage over rear wheel drive, I drove several examples of both and front wheel drive got my vote. A 1986 Astra 1.3 on skinny tyres was probably the best winter car I’ve owned, and I’ve owned a few. Worst car was a 1992 Toyota MR2, superb car but useless in snow, with the weight over the driven wheels it was easy to get moving, but once you had you wished you hadn’t because the car would try to spin at the least provocation.

I’m sure St Know It All will have a reply that rubbishes what I’ve posted, his last one reminds me why I keep this sad individual on ignore, if people didn’t keep quoting him I could remain blissfully unaware of his ‘contributions’.
    Dead right PAUL I had a 216 Rover in 1990 we had some heavy snow that year never got stuck once, skinny tyres rule.

Worst car I ever had Triumph Spitfire had to put a bag of cement in the boot, oh also a really bad car is my current 5 series, that stays on the drive. Good job we have the GLC 4 Matic brilliant in this weather
    Last edited by hilly10; 1st January 2021 at 21:23.

Here’s Catfish Creek in northeast Iowa on New Years Day:

Master
    Haven’t had a snowfall like this for the last few years around here. My kids will be happy when they wake up.

Quite a covering this morning- wife said she hasn’t woken up to a few inches for years

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Quite a covering this morning- wife said she hasn’t woken up to a few inches for years
    Wait until she see’s the weather as well😅

Master
    Plenty down in the south. I have a air port run to do later also!

Snowing in Basingstoke as well , about 2inches deep been out and tested, er indoors said its always 2inches when you test it...

Looking down my drive this morning in Gloucestershire.

Heading out sledging with the kids shortly!

Craftsman
    We've got it down here on the Mendips, stopped me getting to work earlier.
    I dont know if thats a good or bad thing really.
    Its melting away already though

Master

Snow

I’ve just had an interesting dilemma. Got to go shopping. Do I take my front wheel drive van on Michelin cross climates, or my rear wheel drive Merc on Nokian full winters.
    I opted for the van

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

There is quite a dusting here in West London 1/2cm in the last hour

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Heading out sledging with the kids shortly!

Who’s upset you?

Our snowman says hello ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Who’s upset you?
    Very droll

The lane to our house, can’t use snow as an excuse to not go to work this year though.

Master
    Decided not to go out on a bike, today. But if I had, I wouldn't have been alone.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Our snowman says hello ;)
    Hello

Master
    I'm with WW on this one. Snow... looks pretty for about 5 minutes until every man and his dog has been out cavorting in it and then it looks like the world has been smeared with effluent.
    Snow should appear at 5.30am on xmas morning, fall until 8am, excursions should be banned until 9 so some nice photos can be taken, then an hour of snow activities and back in to start xmas dinner prep. At 3.30 it should begin melting and by 6.30 should have disappeared so guests can bugger off home.
    This is the only acceptable snow schedule for the year.
    Instead we have 3 hours of snow, facebook collapses under the miasma of 'its snowing' posts, then everyone goes out to buyild a snowman and throw the stuff about. It then sits there looking grim and freezes overnight so driving is tretcherous.4 days later it's turned to salty slush (after the local authority finally got it's finger out and gritted) that will eat your car.

Vile, horrible, nasty, inconvenient stuff.

Quality rant

Just for you, here is a photo from sunset yesterday to show it can be pretty still after being played on:

Lovely stuff, proper seasonal.

Master
    Love how it makes the main news when there's a bit of white stuff down south but nothing when further north gets loads🤣

Me and the kids love snow, which is lucky living in Cumbria😁