closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ariel Nomad on order

Master

Ariel Nomad on order

Another boring what car thread??

Actually, I’m not asking opinion on what car, but I’m going down to the Ariel factory this weekend to look at the Atom and Nomad and wondered if anyone on here had bought a Ariel, or driven one or knows much about them??

I am leaning towards the Nomad, but will look at both and may end up putting a deposit down. I think to get the most out of the Atom, I need to be planning track days, whereas the Nomad will be more usable (haha) for a sunny weekend or evening blast. There is a near 2.5 year waiting list from doing so, and there may be a new model out during that wait time in which case they will give me the option to go for that instead...
    Last edited by mtagrant; 22nd May 2021 at 07:45.

Master
    I had a drive of an atom a couple of years back and wow just wow, obviously not a comfortable place to sit or warm (quite a cold day) but the smiles generated just wow.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My mate has an atom arriving this summer. You can put the and change I think as near as 6 months from build date.

I’ve spent more time on the Nomad configurator than I care to admit. Useless as a car, but what a toy!

Ariel themselves may be able to give you a steer (pun intended) as to which would suit your needs the best, either way it's a mighty fine problem to have. They'll most probably have a good idea as to what their customers use their cars for and why, either way unless your surname is Hamilton you're unlikely to get the most out of either variant on the road.

There are a good few videos on YT of both, I presume that you've gone through those? If it was for road use then I'd choose the Atom, personally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    My mate has an atom arriving this summer. You can put the and change I think as near as 6 months from build date.
    I asked them if I had to choose even which car at the point of putting a deposit down, and the said that they would prefer it. They said needs to be finalised when it goes into build which is around 16-26 weeks before delivery, so ties up

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I’ve spent more time on the Nomad configurator than I care to admit. Useless as a car, but what a toy!
    …and when you are sent the spreadsheet with options and pricing, you can double that time 😁

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I had a drive of an atom a couple of years back and wow just wow, obviously not a comfortable place to sit or warm (quite a cold day) but the smiles generated just wow.

I am hoping the same from both 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Ariel themselves may be able to give you a steer (pun intended) as to which would suit your needs the best, either way it's a mighty fine problem to have. They'll most probably have a good idea as to what their customers use their cars for and why, either way unless your surname is Hamilton you're unlikely to get the most out of either variant on the road.

There are a good few videos on YT of both, I presume that you've gone through those? If it was for road use then I'd choose the Atom, personally.
    I have spent a lot of time on YouTube as you can imagine. I will drive both, but pretty sure the nomad will be best fit, as although mainly road use, the addition of a windscreen will be a big factor. To get the best of the Atom, I think I need to be more committed and take to a track, which I am less likely to find time to do

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    ...windscreen...
    Fair point. You'd need goggles at least in the Atom and I'm not so sure I'd feel comfortable in anything less than a full face helmet, even on the road.

Master
    Fair point. You'd need goggles at least in the Atom and I'm not so sure I'd feel comfortable in anything less than a full face helmet, even on the road.
    I agree - a bit less usable

…and when you are sent the spreadsheet with options and pricing, you can double that time
    Indeed! Just checked my inbox, received August 2016.

I guess having a kid just prior explains why I remain Nomadless

Master
    Indeed! Just checked my inbox, received August 2016.

I guess having a kid just prior explains why I remain Nomadless
    Mine are 7 and 9 now, and I think they would love it… time to start looking again 👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had a couple of track days at Bruntingthorpe a fair few years back in the Atom it just has to be the most fun ever, and yes they are fast, and grip like hell.

Would an Atom handle better than a Caterham? I'm not in a position to consider either but I always thought that if I was, a Superlight would be the way to go.

I am very tempted to order an Ariel once my back is better. I'm pretty sure it will be the Nomad for me though. I don't have the skill to get anywhere near 'the best' out of either car and the Nomad makes me smile just looking at it!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Get a lift over there, buy a used one and drive it home = Happy days.

I would never wait 2.5 years for a new car from order.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Had a couple of track days at Bruntingthorpe a fair few years back in the Atom it just has to be the most fun ever, and yes they are fast, and grip like hell.
    did you manage to get it though the ziggy zaggy bit without lifting and then put it sideways as you came out.

Master
    I had an late 1950s Ariel Square Four a few years ago so it looks like the name got sold on.

I've never driven either, but would love to! I strongly considered the Atom a few years ago, but admitted to myself that a track oriented car just didn't make sense for me as I enjoy roadtrips more and would go to the track maybe twice a year. I love the idea of the Nomad, but again I can't really figure out how I would use it on a more regular basis.

Please report back when you go.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    did you manage to get it though the ziggy zaggy bit without lifting and then put it sideways as you came out.
    The always lifted through till the last time,being a cocky barstewart it caught me out, two 360 degrees turns, then I did not realise it was wet at the bottom of the track and I spun again right in front of everybody. If there is another car that gives you so much fun on a track day, I ain’t found it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Would an Atom handle better than a Caterham? I'm not in a position to consider either but I always thought that if I was, a Superlight would be the way to go.
    I'd be surprised if many could detect the difference. either would handle far better than most road cars and the difference would be at speeds in excess of those likely to be wise on public roads.

For a long while I always though Caterhams were a bit of a dragster, until I went in one - Remarkable and probably more usable than an Aerial, although when I've seen the latter being driven in anger on track days they always look shatteringly quick!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

i thought one was a track car and the other more an offroad course version.

surely it would depend what is available within reasonable distance from your location.

Master
    *Disclaimer - I am involved in a small sportscar company, but being objective here and won't mention the company.

The Ariel's are fantastically Engineered, great fun & very well built proper cars and for that reason also have strong residuals.
    But, it you're not fixed on the Ariel exo-skeleton concept you can get more for less elsewhere at kitcars.
    Before you scoff, look at factory/professional built options, our closest match to the Atom, (Think similar to Radical) is approx 35% cheaper and would show it a clean pair of heals on track.

Lighter, faster, a little more refined, you name it there are options.

Having said all that if the EuroMillions came up, its quite possible I'd have one in the garage in addition to the actually quick stuff.

This one will go like a spaceship

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1238263

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    I am very tempted to order an Ariel once my back is better. I'm pretty sure it will be the Nomad for me though. I don't have the skill to get anywhere near 'the best' out of either car and the Nomad makes me smile just looking at it!
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Get a lift over there, buy a used one and drive it home = Happy days.

I would never wait 2.5 years for a new car from order.
    No Nomads for sale, and only 3 Atoms from the factory. One of them is £170k and the other two are 5-6 years old and similar to RRP
    These cars are rare and don’t depreciate much, so happy to wait. I have two fun cars now, so not in a rush

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I've never driven either, but would love to! I strongly considered the Atom a few years ago, but admitted to myself that a track oriented car just didn't make sense for me as I enjoy roadtrips more and would go to the track maybe twice a year. I love the idea of the Nomad, but again I can't really figure out how I would use it on a more regular basis.

Please report back when you go.
    I live out in the country, so back road evenings and weekends in warm sunny weather, and think the kids will really enjoy too

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    i thought one was a track car and the other more an offroad course version.

surely it would depend what is available within reasonable distance from your location.
    Nomad good on road or off road - more versatile.
    Atom - better on track, and less likely to do that

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    *Disclaimer - I am involved in a small sportscar company, but being objective here and won't mention the company.

The Ariel's are fantastically Engineered, great fun & very well built proper cars and for that reason also have strong residuals.
    But, it you're not fixed on the Ariel exo-skeleton concept you can get more for less elsewhere at kitcars.
    Before you scoff, look at factory/professional built options, our closest match to the Atom, (Think similar to Radical) is approx 35% cheaper and would show it a clean pair of heals on track.

Lighter, faster, a little more refined, you name it there are options.

Having said all that if the EuroMillions came up, its quite possible I'd have one in the garage in addition to the actually quick stuff.
    What is the website? Be interested to see it, but as mentioned, I am more likely to go with a Nomad, but reserving judgement until I have seen them

I have an atom, originally a 3 upgraded to 3.5 spec apart from the display- i like the twin white on black dials over lcd

i have and you can get a screen for them

I prefer them for a blast on the roads rather then track days where you often lose the sensation of speed as there is so little about

You have to drive them with respect, the record for picking one up from the factory to writing it off is under 10 miles (they didn't make it to the a303) but generally they are very forgiving

i've driven the nomad which in all honesty is a pain to get into, is 80% the fun on the road, if i had several square miles of woodland with gravel tracks i'd have one, but its the only way, but they look cool

ive driven the 4, doesn't scream like the 3 nor rev like it, so i passed

Master
    What is the website? Be interested to see it, but as mentioned, I am more likely to go with a Nomad, but reserving judgement until I have seen them
    Yeah, I got that, ours are good fun on the road, but I wouldn't for a minute pretend that these don't mostly end up on track days.
    https://arl.ltd/
    There's some exciting stuff coming with the SP-1 model and some modern car engines including the option of 100% brand new crate parts built car.

However, there's lots of other available from other good cottage industry companies too including some similar to the Nomad or Rage etc...

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    The always lifted through till the last time,being a cocky barstewart it caught me out, two 360 degrees turns, then I did not realise it was wet at the bottom of the track and I spun again right in front of everybody. If there is another car that gives you so much fun on a track day, I ain’t found it.
    I did all of the racecar testing there, I like that bit, it’s all a lorry park now

Master
    Sorry I should’ve mentioned the atom I drove had a small screen fitted but me being a fair bit taller than my friend whose car it was (lofty is 5ft2 in heels lol ) I wore a full face helmet, amazing fun even at road legal speeds but I know for a fact if I owned one I’d be banned within weeks if I was using it on the road that engine howl was demented grin inducing addictive

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpgkennedy View Post
    I have an atom, originally a 3 upgraded to 3.5 spec apart from the display- i like the twin white on black dials over lcd

i have and you can get a screen for them

I prefer them for a blast on the roads rather then track days where you often lose the sensation of speed as there is so little about

You have to drive them with respect, the record for picking one up from the factory to writing it off is under 10 miles (they didn't make it to the a303) but generally they are very forgiving

i've driven the nomad which in all honesty is a pain to get into, is 80% the fun on the road, if i had several square miles of woodland with gravel tracks i'd have one, but its the only way, but they look cool

ive driven the 4, doesn't scream like the 3 nor rev like it, so i passed
    Would be great to see a photo.

Will be looking at how easy to get in and out of - needs to be a key factor in the decision on the Nomad. From what I have seen on the videos, the 4 does seem to sneeze due to the turbo which put me off a little

Master
    Well I went down to Somerset last weekend with my 7 year old son to go to the factory and spent a few hours having a tour, being taken out for a ride, and then talking specification and ended up putting down a deposit for a Nomad. Waiting time will be 2 years and 4 months, so arrival September 2023…more certainty than a Rolex Sub at least 😁

They are a really nice bunch of guys and took plenty of time out including taking my son for a test drive. He was rather nervous before heading out, but came back with a massive smile

Started off with a few show models - first picture shows the original atom concept from around 25 years ago, and then bikes the company used to make as someone mentioned earlier on the thread:

Then we were taken out in the same car that Flintoff drove around Scotland in the lates series of Top Gear.

This is one of only 5 Nomad Rs being made and with extras cost over £100k! These are specifically made for the road rather than off-road bias

Had a quick look at second hand cars they are selling or prepping for sale.

….and now have a couple of years to think about my spec. None of it is fixed until the car goes into build, so will be in around two years from now. Current thinking is something like this, but have plenty of time to think about it and convince myself I need more and more boxes ticked!!

Brilliant! A long wait but it’ll be fun to amend the spec fifty times between now and then😆

Master
    Brilliant! A long wait but it’ll be fun to amend the spec fifty times between now and then
    I like the quote in this review, “ the longer I wait , the more I save up and keep amending the spec! “

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...s/ariel/nomad/

Steve

Master
    Brilliant! A long wait but it’ll be fun to amend the spec fifty times between now and then😆
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I like the quote in this review, “ the longer I wait , the more I save up and keep amending the spec! “

Steve
    Yes and yes. I think I may have already done it 50 times already. 😂

So cool! It will be awesome. That road version looks amazing too, but there is something so right about the chunky off road tyres on rally wheels.

Congratulations, I have been sitting on the fence over ordering one but I think you have just tipped me over!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Congratulations, I have been sitting on the fence over ordering one but I think you have just tipped me over!
    Go for it and we can create a Nomad sub forum 😁

That's me off to YouTube having a look, congrats and nice to hear they are good bunch of people, that test drive is something your lad will not forget!

Good work!

Did you test drive one yourself or was it just a passenger ride?

Master
    I did a short track day at Elvington in an Atom, if felt very quick. Then for a measly £15 you could go as a passenger in a supercharged Atom. On the straight at Elvington it blitzed all the other cars , so much so the driver baled on the corner at the end and went straight on through the cones!

Im a motorcyclist and used to making good progress, but the 0 to 120 acceleration was something else with that blower whistling behind your helmeted head.

Steve

You say in your first post that to get the best out of the atom you need to do track days. Surely to get the best from the nomad, you need to be off-road or in the dunes? Or is the nomad good on road? Great looking machine though. Things like that make we wish I'd never had kids  Or chosen a more lucrative career.
    Last edited by Brighty; 22nd May 2021 at 18:58.

Master
    Good work!

Did you test drive one yourself or was it just a passenger ride?
    Unfortunately, their insurance only covers for a passenger ride, so not perfect, but I got enough from that to make the decision

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    You say in your first post that to get the best out of the atom you need to do track days. Surely to get the best from the nomad, you need to be off-road or in the dunes? Or is the nomad good on road? Great looking machine though. Things like that make we wish I'd never had kids  Or chosen a more lucrative career.
    I don’t think it necessarily follows as they are two different cars with different characteristics.

The Atom is built for speed, has no windscreen and really needs to be driven in the dry, whereas the Nomad whilst perfectly capable off road, is also a lot of fun on road, and is more usable day to day (still really a third car), so has more grip if you want to go out on slippy roads, doesn’t have quite the blistering acceleration (only around 3.5 secs to 60 ), and you don’t need to wear a helmet to drive it.

There is a good review that was posted below that talks about using on road too:

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    That's me off to YouTube having a look, congrats and nice to hear they are good bunch of people, that test drive is something your lad will not forget!
    Let’s hope so. He is 7 now, and will be nearly 10 when it is finally delivered, so has to keep the excitement up