closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bremont wactches - classed as an investment?

Journeyman

Bremont wactches - classed as an investment?

Hi All.

I am looking at a used Bremont S301 in my local jewellers window. To me, it looks a bot like a Tudor, but without the price tag.
    My question is, will the Bremont loose value or could it be classified as an investment?

Bremont wactches - classed as an investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_Singh View Post
    Hi All.

I am looking at a used Bremont S301 in my local jewellers window. To me, it looks a bot like a Tudor, but without the price tag.
    My question is, will the Bremont loose value or could it be classified as an investment?

They can be had at 40% discount from new, even popular models like the MBII and Supermarine.

I’d be looking for 60% off RRP for second hand. At 60% discount they have basically bottomed out, but unlikely to appreciate
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 11th May 2021 at 11:27.

It really depends on the price you are buying it for...anything is an investment if you are buying it low enough!

Have a look at secondhand prices to give you an idea of depreciation, bearing in mind the advertised price on places like Chrono24 will probably not be the sale price and there are associated selling fees.

Would I consider Bremont an investment in general? No. Could this be an investment? Yes, if bought at the right price.
    Last edited by Christian; 11th May 2021 at 11:57.

This will end well…

Saying that I suspect my Bremont has been quite a good investment but it’s not available through retail.
    Last edited by dougair; 11th May 2021 at 12:39.

Also worth having a read of that thread to give you an idea whether your purchase price is a good deal or not...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ntial-purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Also worth having a read of that thread to give you an idea whether your purchase price is a good deal or not...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ntial-purchase
    This will give you an even better idea

PSA: Bremont Supermarine and others on sale EJ
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both those are threads about the same watch, the s301.

In the end I bought it for £1,695, the mark on the lug looks 10 times worse in the photos than in real life
    so much so that have decided I won’t get the case changed at the moment.
    I wouldn’t have bought this at anywhere near full price but at this price level am really happy with it, it’s slightly different
    to everything else I have particularly the case and although it says the dial and bezel are black it has a slight brownish tone.

I didn’t buy it as an investment but at this price level doubt will lose much if I decide to move it on in the future.

And just to add found Bremont extremely helpful and seems pretty reasonable on service and replacement costs.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Both those are threads about the same watch, the s301.

In the end I bought it for £1,695, the mark on the lug looks 10 times worse in the photos than in real life
    so much so that have decided I won’t get the case changed at the moment.
    I wouldn’t have bought this at anywhere near full price but at this price level am really happy with it, it’s slightly different
    to everything else I have particularly the case and although it says the dial and bezel are black it has a slight brownish tone.

I didn’t buy it as an investment but at this price level doubt will lose much if I decide to move it on in the future.

And just to add found Bremont extremely helpful and seems pretty reasonable on service and replacement costs.
    Even with a ding, a nice price especially knowing you can sort it out in a few years when the watch is due a routine service.

Any wrist shot, or is that in another thread.

Not sure Bremont have hit the investment realms yet. But hold it long enough. Yep should get you money back. Take Seiko for example. Some 80’s watches now command more than when new both quartz and autos.
    They were never regarded as investments.
    Buy what you like. Enjoy it then when time to sell, smile or cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Buy what you like. At that price, I don't think you will loose too much although you need to factor in some service costs at some point perhaps? In doing so, you might see a small loss but equate that against the joy you will have of owning a good watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Both of mine were with 40% reduction,I don’t class them as investments.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Even with a ding, a nice price especially knowing you can sort it out in a few years when the watch is due a routine service.

Any wrist shot, or is that in another thread.
    No I must take one and add it to the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    This will end well…

It is a super watch and if bought at right price, you are unlikely to lose money.

Craftsman
    They can be had at 40% discount from new, even popular models like the MBII and Supermarine.

I’d be looking for 60% off RRP for second hand. At 60% discount they have basically bottomed out, but unlikely to appreciate
    It’s a watch, not an investment. If you want to put your money in something, please go and see an IFA. Thinking of watches as investment, thinking and speaking of their value is the most fun-sucking thing about this hobby.

It sounds like I’m having a dog, I promise I’m not, but particularly with other well known Swiss brands, that view of them as an investment has contributed greatly to ruining or at least dimming the enjoyment of them for a number of enthusiasts.

If I could encourage you to do anything when it comes to your watch buying, it would be to say bollocks to investment and just buy what you like.

Journeyman
    Thanks all. I appreciate your views. No one wants to buy something and loose money.....Or better still, no one wants to loose loads of money.....

I cant see the for sale section as i am too new or dont have enough posts yet.

If you check sold prices on eBay, a 3-yr old example in good / excellent condition sold recently for £1600.

Take from that what you will.

Thanks all. I appreciate your views. No one wants to buy something and loose money.....Or better still, no one wants to loose loads of money.....

I cant see the for sale section as i am too new or dont have enough posts yet.
    Everything you buy loses money as it becomes second hand; the exceptions are few and far between. I don’t think Bremont will ever be one of them.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    It’s a watch, not an investment.

If I could encourage you to do anything when it comes to your watch buying, it would be to say bollocks to investment and just buy what you like.
    I agree with this in part, but it's certainly a lot easier to spaff a not-insignificant amount of money on something if you feel some reassurance that you won't lose on it and it'll be straightforward to move on.

As an example, I recently bought a Rolex DJ41 - my primary reason was that I really liked one specific configuration and so when the opportunity to get it from an AD at retail price came up, I took it. I'd never done the Rolex AD 'buying from new' experience and wanted to see what it was like. A right of passage for every watch enthusiast, perhaps? Was the money I spent doing anything in the bank at present? No. Could I have got the watch from somewhere else for less? No. Will it appreciate? Most likely. I've always bought what I like, but few of us have the means to view these things as impulse buys. Anything over £5k for me is always going be a considered purchase, and I've turned down the opportunity to buy pieces in the past because my sensible inner voice has said 'you don't really need it and you won't get your money back'. To be clear, I don't really care about the value of the Omegas, Tags, Tudors, Sinns, Damaskos, Tissots, Seikos and all the obscure microbrands I've picked up over the years - they're fun and the core part of my hobby - but for the stuff you really think twice about, I can't lie and say I don't consider future value. Again, that's not to say I'm expecting anything to sky-rocket in value, I just don't want to lose out by much if I decide to move something along.

To the OP's point, I'm no Bremont fan but when LVMH come along and snap them up in a few years time, there's every chance pieces from this era will go up in value.

SGR

Bremont is an investment in education for how savage depreciation can be. Every watch comes with a PhD.

Master
    Nope. Very wealthy people will never be interested in Bremont and drive up the price; they'll stick to AP, FP Journe, Lange etc.

Watch money pales into insignificance when compared with car purchases, and anything sub £200K+ plummets in 5 years, yet many people find it acceptable.
    You get something for your money in both cases, and if that’s not enough set your eyes onto something that will match what you’re prepared to lose.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Totally agree with StuartGR...it's not an investment as such but part of the justification for me when I buy an expensive watch is that the money isn't all "spent".

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Watch money pales into insignificance when compared with car purchases, and anything sub £200K+ plummets in 5 years, yet many people find it acceptable.
    You get something for your money in both cases, and if that’s not enough set your eyes onto something that will match what you’re prepared to lose.
    Totally agree. It's always fascinated me how people can easily justify losses they make on expensive car purchases yet any other purchases they seem to be overly cautious about.

Hi All. I am looking at a used Bremont S301 in my local jewellers window. To me, it looks a bot like a Tudor, but without the price tag.
    Firstly, let me say that the S301 is a really nice watch.

Secondly, it's unusual that a watch will ever be a short term (or even long term) investment.

In regard to your potential purchase I would look at it one of three ways;

1. If you plan on never selling the watch you could buy direct from Bremont, pay full price and know that the only person ever to have worn your watch is you. That has a lot of appeal for some people.
    2. If you want to save a little bit of money, you could buy from an AD and try and negotiate the price. The watch may have been tried on by a number of potential customers but should still be in very good condition.
    3. If you want to save a lot of money, you could buy pre-owned. There are at least a couple of S301's for sale on Chrono24 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Nope. Very wealthy people will never be interested in Bremont and drive up the price; they'll stick to AP, FP Journe, Lange etc.
    That's a very interesting statement considering that there are some very wealthy people that own Bremonts. I think I see your point but it seems to be a simplistic view of a complicated market place.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    That's a very interesting statement considering that there are some very wealthy people that own Bremonts. I think I see your point but it seems to be a simplistic view of a complicated market place.
    Isn’t it a numbers thing though? Some very wealthy people may own Bremonts but you need a significant number to be willing to pay over-the-odds to ensure demand outstrips supply and drives the price up. You need enough people to say “I don’t care the RRP is half of what I’m paying because I want this thing now”. I honestly don’t see that happening with Bremont.

Master
    Early Bremont limited editions are already fetching a premium on the used market.
    As for standard models, my advice is having worked for Bremont and keeping an eye on the market is to look for an early pre-facelift (with the old logo) core model such as an MB2 and go for the "Swiss Made" dials as it's an early and significant part of the company's history.

Master
    Investment, LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that brand in general was particularly poor value holding ?
    I remember one of the models in the SC quite afew times and had lost a huge chunk of their value.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I remember one of the models in the SC quite afew times and had lost a huge chunk of their value.
    I doubled my money a few years ago (bought off forum, sold off forum).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Well, you thought wrong
    It doesn’t fare any worse than other brands in its category.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I think this is the point really. If saving money is your aim then buying new cars, and in most cases new watches, isn't really for you. Some people like to have a new car and are prepared, and happy to take the hit. Same with watches. As we all know some watches hold or even increase their value, most don't. This seems to rather annoy people who like the ones that don't. I suppose in the end it just comes down to what people are prepared to spend to have the particular article.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Isn’t it a numbers thing though? Some very wealthy people may own Bremonts but you need a significant number to be willing to pay over-the-odds to ensure demand outstrips supply and drives the price up. You need enough people to say “I don’t care the RRP is half of what I’m paying because I want this thing now”. I honestly don’t see that happening with Bremont.
    You could be right about Bremont in this regard and in the short term I think you are. In the longer term, who knows.

That said, I don't think that it's the supremely wealthy that artificially inflate market prices. The supremely wealthy can more or less have what they want. It's those that have a good amount of disposable income (we can still call them wealthy) that want a watch no matter what to show their wealth that cause the artificially high prices. I think the term used in the past is 'wannabe's', in a way, the apprentices of the Lord Sugar world. So, in reality, you can have as many supremely wealthy people buying Bremont as you like but until the 'wannabe's' see that to be the case and want to emulate them, Bremont pre-owned prices won't increase.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Early Bremont limited editions are already fetching a premium on the used market.
    I think the word 'some' has to be applied here. I don't think any other than EP120 and possibly the P-51 are really fetching a premium. The EP120 rarely comes to market and the pre-owned P-51s are priced quite highly but do seem to hang around on websites for a long time. The Victory is holding its value as is the Codebreaker and the Wright Flyer is....well, still available.

I think that they're all stunning watches and over time could potentially increase in value but I can't see it in the short term.

Master
    Bremont Belle End is the one to look for

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Bremont Belle End is the one to look for
    Is that the one with pieces of Memphis Belle in the rotor?

They need to take 60% off those lugs.