closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best indoor rowing shoes?

Craftsman

Best indoor rowing shoes?

Apologies for another rowing thread

A remote rowing race against my brother has ramped up my mileage, and my usual running shoes which have been fine for the odd row are less comfortable now it is daily. It's made me think with a high heel to toe drop they're probably terribly suited to rowing, so I was curious what works well for people on here.

Google suggests thin soled is best, without the impact absorbing cushion of running shoes stealing some of your power (probably too strong a word in my case), and without the slanted sole of runners distorting the foot rest angle. That sounds something like a plimsoll - maybe this'll be the first ever TZ "recommend me" thread where the answer is cheap - does that work for anyone in practice?

Also interested if you have flat feet whether that has impacted your choice (I discovered mine are flat enough to be driven over without incident). I've tried rowing bare foot before and the foot rests just don't hold you well enough.

Cheers,
    Jon

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    After a fair bit of trial and error, I've ended up with Birkenstock Boston on a WaterRower. I just leave them there when I've finished. while you can slip straight in, I've found them perfectly grippy while the flat profile and cork footbed works well. It's not a cheap option, but it works for me.

I row every day and just wear a cheap pair of Adidas puremotion trainers, they're comfortable enough for me.

I tried rowing barefoot and the straps ripped my feet to shreds!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    After a fair bit of trial and error, I've ended up with Birkenstock Boston on a WaterRower.
    Interesting, hadn’t considered an open back as assumed you’d just slip out, but you get enough support from just the curve of the footbed?

just row in something that you are comfortable in , looking at the above i'd spend a fiver on some crocs rather than £80 on something thats just going to get used on a rowing machine - you are not doing an olympic trial :) .

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Interesting, hadn’t considered an open back as assumed you’d just slip out, but you get enough support from just the curve of the footbed?
    It has a ridge behind the toe and I just find myself automatically gripping with the ball of my foot , which just feels like part of the technique to me. I suspect we might be in 'winding a Speedmaster' territory though...

Craftsman
    I row in these
    I do cut the laces out.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/mocc...ourId-60191535

Journeyman
    I have cheap Nike skate trainers with mesh uppers, they have flat thin soles and seem to work well for me. And they are easy to wash.

Plenty of people rave about Adidas powerlifting trainers for rowing. I have a pair, but I found that my inflexibility and the stiffness of the soles meant they were uncomfortable, but that was a couple of years ago, I should probably give them another go for the shorter sprint distances.

For slow, low rate sessions I sometimes just wear socks but do not use the straps.

Craftsman
    Didn’t know powerlifting trainers were a thing!

I tried a pair of Toms yesterday but so flimsy that the heel situation was awful, felt practically barefoot.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I didn't know that you had to have special shoes to have a Barney with someone!

Grand Master
    If you are struggling to row barefoot then look at your technique, the recovery stroke should be roughly twice the pull
    RIAC