closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Bicycle help!!

  1. #1

    Bicycle help!!

    Hello everyone, I hope you are all well :)

    The mrs bought me an ebike last month which I stupidly built myself! Seems I put the peddles on the wrong way round and the peddle screw has ruined the threads in the crank arm :(

    Iíve bought a few crank extractors but the screws are too wide by a few mm!

    Can anyone help and point me to a link for the correct crank extractor tool and also to the correct replacement crank arm.

    The bike is a cube reaction- a few pics below that may help.

    Thank you, itís driving me mad so any help would be much appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Alex




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    3,224
    Blog Entries
    1
    Do you mean you put the pedals on the wrong sides in the crank arms? I.e.have mashed the threads of pedal spindles and the cranks? Or do you mean you have reversed the cranks on the crank spindles?
    Last edited by Montello; 11th May 2021 at 08:52.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Do you mean you put the pedals on the wrong sides in the crank arms? I.e.have mashed the threads of pedal spindles and the cranks? Or do you mean you have reversed the cranks on the crank spindles?
    Sorry I wasnít clear :)

    Pedals on the wrong sides and mashed the threads on the crank arm thread. Only on one side :)

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brum
    Posts
    2,055
    If you put the pedals on the wrong sides in all honesty I'd take it to a bike shop!

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    1,096
    The model number would help for suggesting a replacement crank...looking at the Cube site, there are about 20 variants of the Reaction.

  6. #6
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    14,822
    Are pedal bolts reverse threaded?
    Cheers..
    Jase

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    3,224
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Sorry I wasn’t clear :)

    Pedals on the wrong sides and mashed the threads on the crank arm thread. Only on one side :)
    So you have reversed the pedals destroying the threads and also cross threaded a crank arm bolt?

    Take it to a shop and get your credit card handy ...

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    3,224
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Are pedal bolts reverse threaded?
    The left pedal has a LH thread the right is normal. Iím amazed itís possible to get them wrong.

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    So you have reversed the pedals destroying the threads and also cross threaded a crank arm bolt?

    Take it to a shop and get your credit card handy ...
    I think he's just destroyed the pedal threads but can't get the crank arm off to replace it...hopefully. Mind you, might come to the same thing if the crankset has to be bought as a job lot.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    3,224
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I think he's just destroyed the pedal threads but can't get the crank arm off to replace it...hopefully. Mind you, might come to the same thing if the crankset has to be bought as a job lot.
    Ah, ok. Going to need a new crankset and pedals.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I think he's just destroyed the pedal threads but can't get the crank arm off to replace it...hopefully. Mind you, might come to the same thing if the crankset has to be bought as a job lot.
    This^

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Ah, ok. Going to need a new crankset and pedals.
    Pedals are fine- just a crank arm is needed as I mentioned in the OP.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    1,096
    What model number of Cube Reaction is it Alex?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    What model number of Cube Reaction is it Alex?
    The Mrs is just going through her emails to get the model ref :)

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    What model number of Cube Reaction is it Alex?
    It's a Cube Reaction Hybrid Performance 500 E bike 2021 model 43310117.

    Thanks,

    Alex

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    1,096
    Hi Alex

    If it's this one: https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/e-bikes/...iridiumngreen/

    ...then it uses the ACID E-Crank, 38T. Which looks like it can be bought here: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...ank-set-906913

    And in terms of a crank puller, the crank is an ISIS type, so this should do the job: https://www.parktool.com/product/uni...d-cranks-cwp-7

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Hi Alex

    If it's this one: https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/e-bikes/...iridiumngreen/

    ...then it uses the ACID E-Crank, 38T. Which looks like it can be bought here: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...ank-set-906913

    And in terms of a crank puller, the crank is an ISIS type, so this should do the job: https://www.parktool.com/product/uni...d-cranks-cwp-7
    Thank you very much :) Appreciate your time :)

    Alex

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    1,096
    Just saw that the link I posted didn't have any stock. These should fit (ISIS drive / Bosch compatible) but maybe worth checking with the store before buying:
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.XLC-Bosch-E...oCxZsQAvD_BwE#

  18. #18
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,392
    If you post your rough location Alex I'm sure someone could help/have a look? I'm in the Midlands and fettle bikes all the time (got a Cube ebike myself) I'm sure there will be someone near you wouldn't mine helping out.

  19. #19
    Iím amazed they still fit 15 year old technology isis cranks/bb!?
    They were a design failure and hollow tech II/GXP/external soon replaced them on new bikes.
    I have killed one after a day on the mtb, always had one in the spares box ready to fit.

    When you get the crank puller check you donít need a thing that looks like a top hat that pushes on the bb axle as you wind in the tool. This stops you driving the extractor into the axle threads. I have seen this done by accident...

  20. #20
    This is learningtofly level incompetence, respect!

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    3,224
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    This^

    - - - Updated - - -



    Pedals are fine- just a crank arm is needed as I mentioned in the OP.
    Are you saying the pedal thread is fine even though they have been in the wrong cranks?

    If so I am surprised but I guess the crank must be a lot softer than the pedal spindles.

    Result if they survived.

    [COLOR="silver"]- - -

  22. #22
    Pedal axles will be steel, the cranks alloy.

  23. #23
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,553
    Pedals on finger tight and a 1/4 turn
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Between the lines
    Posts
    402
    Before buying any replacement parts itíd be worth popping into your local bike shop to see if something as simple as running a tap through the crank arm would work .

  25. #25
    Damaged crank pedal thread is a relatively common issue. A good bike shop should have tools to fit a threaded insert (similar to a helicoil/timesert type repair) which will rectify it.

    https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-kit-procedure

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner monkey View Post
    Before buying any replacement parts itíd be worth popping into your local bike shop to see if something as simple as running a tap through the crank arm would work .

    I'd try this first... a pedal tap isn't expensive and you can get them individually (as mentioned left and rights are threaded in opposite directions).

    Pedal Tap

    Run it through the crank from the back where (presumably) the threads will still be intact with plenty of grease / oil and see if you can straighten out the damaged ones.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information