closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long An AD Wait Was There To Buy Your Sports Rolex?

How Long An AD Wait Was There To Buy Your Sports Rolex?

I know they are unobtanium now, but back in 2012 I walked into my local, AD Ernest Jones Kingston, to buy an Ceramic Sub which had only been on release less than a year.

Six weeks later I had the call and the watch in my hand.

I even got a 15% discount when there was some confusion over the use of shopping vouchers purchased through work.

Not long ago....October 2017, I decided I didn't want to pay AD prices so I walked past the windows of ADs with a few sports Rolex in them into Chronext and bought an Explorer 2 at a lower price than RRP.

Craftsman
    2019, enquired about an explorer on the Monday, was on the wrist Saturday.
    WOS Glasgow, guess I got lucky.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I ordered the new submariner on release and am still waiting, 68 years on and I still don't have my 6204
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    In January 2014 i was walking past my local Rolex AD and they had in the window almost every sports Rolex you could want.

I couldn't decide between a Rolex Sub Date and an Explorer II.

Both were available with discount(yes times have changed)

In the end i bought the Explorer and it's the only Rolex i have ever kept even though i have owned at one point most of the others.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    In January 2014 i was walking past my local Rolex AD and they had in the window almost every sports Rolex you could want.

I couldn't decide between a Rolex Sub Date and an Explorer II.

Both were available with discount(yes times have changed)

In the end i bought the Explorer and it's the only Rolex i have ever kept even though i have owned at one point most of the others.

I was the same. I bought my first Rolex in January 2014 because my trusted Omega was in for a 6 week repair and I am one of those people who goes nuts without a watch on my wrist.

The purchase wasn't planned, I just walked in on a whim and told the AD I wanted a decent watch and he brought out a handful of Rolex to choose from. I chose the Explorer from a batch of Subs, DJs and GMTs.

The price of the Explorer was £4150 and I haggled it down to £3,900.

I was pleased with the purchase until I found TRF and TZ-UK and a common topic was "where is the cheapest place to buy a Rolex from" and "what sort of discount can I expect". If I remember correctly, there was an Explorer at some Grey dealer up for £3,600, so it was definitely a buyers market.

Today Explorers are becoming hot and are rocketing in price due to being discontinued and replaced with the 36mm model.

Yes times have changed.

As an aside 2 days ago there was a 40mm YM Rhodium dial with the aqua blue seconds hand in the window of my local AD. Dunno how rare that is but it was there. The rest was TT Datejusts

Master
    I went into Tourneau in Caesars Las Vegas in 2002 with a mate on a stag do after seeing a picture of a white dial Daytona in the window and asked if I could buy it - I was told that there was a 7 year waitlist or I would need 'a personal instore spend of $100,000 a year' and they could get me one straight away! We just laughed, browsed a few Tag's and left. From then on every time I went on holiday I would always pop into a Rolex shop and ask. In 2005 I bought a Rolex YM in Barbados, but always asked about the Daytona.

In September 2013 I fancied a hulk so googled Rolex dealers in Devon as bizarrely I'd never been to a local one. I called the one in Exeter which I think was a Goldsmiths at the time and I also called one in Somerset and they said they could get a hulk from another store. I jokingly asked about a white dial Daytona and they said they didn't have one. I asked them to bare me in mind as I would buy one straight away. I called back the next day to arrange to see the hulk and again mentioned the Daytona. An hour later they called me back and said they had a white dial due for a client but he wanted the weekend to think about it. They said I could have it if he declined. On the Monday they called me and said it was mine!

Didn't even know the shop existed 3 days before and totally right time, right place.

When the controversial Air-King was released, I walked in and purchased it (someone had just returned it) - funnily enough, I then returned it the next day (I found the Milgauss case too top-heavy for me). My 16600 in May 2009 was a few months' wait (big demand as it was on its way out). My others since have varied from a few months to a few years (e.g. the Daisy). This all pales into insignificance when compared to PP wait times.

Craftsman
    In 2012 I was looking in the local AD's window at all the SS Sports models, when a sales assistant came out and invited me in to try. From memory I tried a 116610LN, 116610LV, a 114060 and a GMT. As I already had a 16710 and Deepsea, I chose the LV to add a bit of variety. I bought it there and then for about £5,600 from memory. That was my last new Rolex purchase, as my interests turned to vintage after that.

2009, about a 10 week wait for a 16610

Currently at 19 months for a GMT, but slightly hopeful for supply this year

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post

D

I’m still waiting for my Batman call...

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post

D

I don't know how you do it...I lose interest after a few weeks! I'm currently on a few lists for an OP41 but I'm now not even sure I'd follow that through if called.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I know they are unobtanium now, but back in 2012 I walked into my local, AD Ernest Jones Kingston, to buy an Ceramic Sub which had only been on release less than a year.

Six weeks later I had the call and the watch in my hand.

I even got a 15% discount when there was some confusion over the use of shopping vouchers purchased through work.
    You had to wait in 2012? I walked straight in and bought a ND Sub and an Explorer II in 2013....but only with a 10% discount at EJ Kingston! They're a great AD, shame it got taken away.
    I've heard from the grapevine that Signet are going to push harder to split EJ and H Samuel into different classes i.e. premium and average high street.

Master
    Maybe they kept the Professional SS models in the back but in all my decades of looking in AD windows, I don’t think I ever saw a SS Sub or SD.

I got a SD in 2001 by getting my name down on a cancelled “order”. Still had to wait several (6?) months for it to arrive.
    Last edited by David_D; 11th May 2021 at 12:20.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I've heard from the grapevine that Signet are going to push harder to split EJ and H Samuel into different classes i.e. premium and average high street.
    They already seem very different stores...whereas I can never walk past an EJ without having a quick look in the window, I'm not sure I even register H Samuel when walking by! It would make sense to get rid of the fashion brands and cheaper stuff from EJ (Casio, Daniel Wellington, Fossil, Skagen etc.) as there is quite a lot of overlap between the stores.

Master
    5 weeks last summer for a 126660 James Cameron. Collected from WoS Oxford Street on 31st July 2020.

Blog Entries
    13 October 2020 I picked up my YM40 RG from my AD and expressed interest in the 2020 124060. I had an email 28 Nov 2020 to pick up
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I think I am getting a case of déjà vu.

There seem to have been a number of threads on the same subject recently.

Any how

39mm Explorer 1 last year took 5 days from phne call to pick up
    Submariner ND took 4 months, picked up in March this year.

Both from WoS with no previous purchase history before I bought the Explorer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I think I am getting a case of déjà vu.

There seem to have been a number of threads on the same subject recently.
    Surely not.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

SS Subs and SDs were always in the windows of both ADs in Newcastle.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Maybe they kept the Professional SS models in the back but in all my decades of looking in AD windows, I don’t think I ever saw a SS Sub or SD.

I got a SD in 2001 by getting my name down on a cancelled “order”. Still had to wait several (6?) months for it to arrive.

Master
    Said it before but I think my AD is having a laugh at me. Admittedly modest previous but not a sniff for 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    5 weeks last summer for a 126660 James Cameron. Collected from WoS Oxford Street on 31st July 2020.
    39mm Explorer 1 last year took 5 days from phne call to pick up
    Submariner ND took 4 months, picked up in March this year.

Both from WoS with no previous purchase history before I bought the Explorer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    13 October 2020 I picked up my YM40 RG from my AD and expressed interest in the 2020 124060. I had an email 28 Nov 2020 to pick up

Craftsman
    Bought my 116610LN in 2012, ordered it and had it in hand a few weeks later, didn’t take long.

I ordered a 124060 in October, I’m still waiting.

Master
    I think I am getting a case of [I]déjà vu.
    I guess most threads on any watches are incarnations of previous threads over the years.

Just strange that no one has ever chosen to discuss the merits of Tudors V Omegas! Now that would be make a great thread

SydR

How Long An AD Wait Was There To Buy Your Sports Rolex?

I placed an expression of interest with my AD for a Submariner on January 4th 2018 and picked it up on 24th Feb 2018. Actually got the phone call for it 6 days earlier but could not get to the store until the 24th.

Times have changed in a short period.
    Last edited by SydR; 11th May 2021 at 16:07.

Master
    There was one in the window, I went in and asked for it. July 1986.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    There was one in the window, I went in and asked for it. July 1986.
    Think the GMT was possibly one that you did see occasionally. Pretty well unloved until recently and now obviously well sought after.

Got an Exp II out of the window years ago but they were never that popular.

Craftsman
    Ive been on waitlist for Daytona at multiple ADs for probably around 20+ years now without a peep from any AD.

On the flip side back in 2018 I was mooching in Goldsmiths and got chatting to the deputy Manager about Subs. The following week she called me and said she had a Sub Date if I wanted it. Went same day and picked it up.

Craftsman
    November 2017, decided I would like a Sub no date, phoned the AD in Exeter, went along the next day, they had a no date and a date and a Sea Dweller. Bought the No date, but wish I had also taken the Sub date. No discount, but did get a good deal on some diamonds for my wife, so all good.

May 2018, was torn between the BLNR and the ND. Popped by a grey dealer to have a look at the BLNR, decided I wanted something more subtle for my first Rolex. Called into the local AD the same day, nothing in the display case but she brought out a ND Sub from the safe. No discount of course.

24th December 2019, was backpacking in Slovenia. Walked into an AD right before they closed for Christmas. Asked to try on a CHNR. Said it was allocated for. Must’ve seen the disappointment on my face, so the lovely owner went behind the counter and brought it out to make my Christmas. Apparently their VIP was away for Christmas. Also engraved it for me on the spot. ( graduation gift).

Times have changed !

Think the GMT was possibly one that you did see occasionally. Pretty well unloved until recently and now obviously well sought after.

Got an Exp II out of the window years ago but they were never that popular.
    Yep, for years you could get the Pepsi gmt (often on a jubilee), the white dial expII, the Explorer and the 14060M Sub in pretty much any AD window. No buying history, no rubbish, you could walk into a shop in jeans and a dirty T shirt if you wished and just buy one. They must have sold loads over the years, which is one of the reasons I laugh at the current BS pricing of used watches which were both comparatively,considerably cheaper and easy to obtain in the not so distant past. YMMV but I just don’t get the fascination!

Master
    In December 2019 I walked in my AD and walked out with an SD43. More recently (June 2020) waited 4 weeks for a ND Sub. Get a call quite regularly about DSSD and been offered a CHNR recently.

Had a BLNR and a Hulk already so not on the list again for either but I know a GMT will be along soon as it’s my 35th work anniversary and plans are afoot!

Like many others have said, really can’t understand paying over RRP, especially for Subs as they seem to come along quite regularly in my experience. When I picked my ND up my mate also picked up a date at the same time and we were far from the only ones. This was in lockdown 1 though...

I waited 2 years for my BLNR. Collected it in October 2018. I bought a Sub Date from them in June 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I don't know how you do it...I lose interest after a few weeks! I'm currently on a few lists for an OP41 but I'm now not even sure I'd follow that through if called.
    I lost interest in buying any new Rolex.
    I have two both bought either second hand or multi handed, now lost interest in Rolex and Offshore Professional. I Just smile and wear cheap watches. Though my smile is gruesome.

Unfortunately no sport Rolex purchased. But roughly 3yrs ago I walked into my local AD spoke about ND Sub, he bought one out from the back, said was for someone else but will let me know if no response.

Phoned my after the weekend asked I wanted, I hesitated as fitting a new kitchen in the new house at the time & part of me wasn’t sure if I wanted a Panerai.

In the end went with the Panerai. Rolex at the time was £5.5k. Sometime I kick myself.

Did have to wait 1yr from registering an interest at Goldsmiths for my BB58 mind you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    What's interesting and frustrating is the huge variance in experience, and shows the power of ADs, individual sales staff and blind luck.

I tried every AD in central London 3 years ago. Going in person at lunch time or after work, and asking about a GMT. Responses ranged from polite but clearly no real chance, to so blunt and condescending they were rude. Would I like a Rolex? I'd definitely like to be able to consider one, they are good watches and just about affordable-almost for me. The current situation means I can't get one and hence don't really consider them, but I'm content with Omega, Tudor and consideration of grand Seiko and zenith etc, all with some superb qualities and areas where they deserve consideration but in many cases, if Rolex were more available, these other options wouldn't be considered.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    What's interesting and frustrating is the huge variance in experience, and shows the power of ADs, individual sales staff and blind luck.

I tried every AD in central London 3 years ago. Going in person at lunch time or after work, and asking about a GMT. Responses ranged from polite but clearly no real chance, to so blunt and condescending they were rude. Would I like a Rolex? I'd definitely like to be able to consider one, they are good watches and just about affordable-almost for me. The current situation means I can't get one and hence don't really consider them, but I'm content with Omega, Tudor and consideration of grand Seiko and zenith etc, all with some superb qualities and areas where they deserve consideration but in many cases, if Rolex were more available, these other options wouldn't be considered.
    I don’t think it’s so much about luck or power but locality and loyalty. My AD is only ever keen to engage with locals. I personally have had a relationship for over 30 years and before that my family had history. I’m sure going in there with a huge one off order will help, but they are a business after all.

What I will say is that the chase is always better than the catch! When you finally get your beloved watch that you have decided will enrich your life beyond measure, after a few weeks you’ll realise it’s just a watch, pretty much like any other but with good residuals.

Master
    Could have got a BLNR (knightbridge), LV Sub (bond st) in 2015 from walking in. Also seadweller4K was just sitting in cabinet around 2017 at WoS in regent street. In 2018 datejust41 steel rhodium was at Heathrow with the tax free. Now even a oyster perp is register interest, getting really really silly.

I’ve got my Daytona and Sub as forever keepers so I’m done now anyway.

I’ve owned other models, explorer 2, GMTs, OPs and datejusts, and so don’t really have much desire to try other Rolex. If being honest I feel they are largely the same anyway, oyster case and bracelet, and particularly the rotating bezel models.

Time to try something else for variety and fun.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    End of 2016, walked into AD and walked out with a ceramic gmt2c

When I was looking for a Rolex in 2015 the ND Sub was readily available and also at discount from grey. I ended up buying a pre owned Kermit for about the same price, which in hindsight was a good choice.

In 1993 i was walking past Mappin and Webb in Guernsey, they had a SS Daytona in the window, I bought it, and still have it.

Now the flip side, about 2015 my wife wanted to go to a shop in Cambridge, while she was doing whatever I popped in to M&P in the market square, I tried on a BLNR that they had in the window and wasn't sure if I liked it £5300 I think, I also tried on a PP5711 they also had in stock £23k, I decided it was too much to spend...............now if I knew then what I know now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    I don’t think it’s so much about luck or power but locality and loyalty.
    I'd always assumed so but, even on this thread, there are posters who have managed to get Professional models quite easily - even in the last couple of years - without the mythical "relationship"!.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Yep, for years you could get the Pepsi gmt (often on a jubilee), the white dial expII, the Explorer and the 14060M Sub in pretty much any AD window. No buying history, no rubbish, you could walk into a shop in jeans and a dirty T shirt if you wished and just buy one. They must have sold loads over the years, which is one of the reasons I laugh at the current BS pricing of used watches which were both comparatively,considerably cheaper and easy to obtain in the not so distant past.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Exactly my thoughts.
    There’s always been rubbish spouted about availability of the SS sports models. I bought a 16610LV out of the window of Ernest Jones in Kingston - I’d seen a few in central London but I didn’t want one with the engraved rehaut. Now apparently all 16610 LV’s are ‘rare’ and command huge prices - but they were easy to find at that point. They made them for years (although they were always ‘about to be discontinued’!) so I’m have no idea why they are priced as they are. I do clearly remember being on Bond St at another point in the early 00’s and popped into one of the Rolex AD’s to ask about waiting lists on the Seadweller (might have been a sub date I can’t remember clearly) and was told a couple of years. I left, walked round the corner and another jeweller had one brand new in the window, which I then bought. I think luck has more to do with it tbh, and working in the West End of London I was positioned to window shop quite easily - but I’m really mystified by how these commonly available watches are now apparently as rare as rocking horse sh** and priced accordingly!?! - and the price of the new ones, with all the availability malarkey is clearly a rouse - I mean, how hard is it to manufacture less datejusts and more submariners? Admittedly I’m not an expert (I used to be quite knowledgeable on the older models not so much now) but don’t they even share the same movements?? I don’t get it at all….

In August 2019 I walked in off the street in to an AD I know in Athens, they had a ND Sub (and others in the window) they were more than happy to sell it to me (I tried it on but preferred my Pelagos)
    The same AD in Sept last year had all of the new bright colour OPs in the window, again I could have taken my pick, the Mrs didn't like them. They did quote a wait time for a sub though - 6 months from memory. No need to have a massive spend history either. Another dealer I have used in Argostoli did say she was getting less supply and she did have a long wait list.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    There’s always been rubbish spouted about availability of the SS sports models. I bought a 16610LV out of the window of Ernest Jones in Kingston - I’d seen a few in central London but I didn’t want one with the engraved rehaut. Now apparently all 16610 LV’s are ‘rare’ and command huge prices - but they were easy to find at that point.
    Think my (not large) AD said they’d had 3 (of whichever version) at one stage which they couldn’t shift - until they became must have.

That’s pretty near the top of my watch things that pee me off: People who could have had a watch at a discount a few years ago and now prepared to pay £5-10k over list for it.

Walked in to an AD in Amsterdam while on a short break May 2019, asked nicely about a no date Submariner and walked out with it in my wrist. One of the best days of my life as I saw my team Tottenham win an incredible match that same evening.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I remember your post, and the game. Sissoko hoof, llorente does the work watching it come down, getting in the right place, glance for Dele and... Flick into the path of a motoring Dele still athletic and quick in the 89th minute. Dele's touch to send it past errr. Van de Beek? Decent but he didn't mean to play Lucas in but he was hungry and wouldn't miss! I watched the highlights over and over! Shame we've gone backwards so far.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was offered a Kermit with a small discount, the watch was in the AD winter, summer 2008.

Opted instead for a Moonwatch and don’t regret it from a watch perspective, but financially it’s a bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I remember your post, and the game. Sissoko hoof, llorente does the work watching it come down, getting in the right place, glance for Dele and... Flick into the path of a motoring Dele still athletic and quick in the 89th minute. Dele's touch to send it past errr. Van de Beek? Decent but he didn't mean to play Lucas in but he was hungry and wouldn't miss! I watched the highlights over and over! Shame we've gone backwards so far.
    ??