closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 hour wait for an ambulance!

11 hour wait for an ambulance!

My 94 year old Mum, had a fall at her supported living residence. She fell in the bathroom, luckily they have emergency cords. I myself only came out of hospital Thursday night after a hernia repair. My sister was away celebrating her 60th in York. I live two hours from Mum who’s in Northamptonshire. The residence called for an ambulance at9am, as my Mother had extreme groin pain and a nasty gash on her leg. The staff at the residence took it in shifts to be with her. Eventually my niece who is a nurse, drove two hours to be with her NaN, she lied to the emergency services saying she was having heart failure. Eventually Paramedics arrived at 8pm, she was still on the bathroom floor.
    They took her to hospital where she is comfortable.
    Is this what we want for our young, old and sick?
    What is happening in Britain? It’s scandalous and very worrying!
    I love the NHS, but something is seriously wrong.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I hope your Mum now gets all the care and treatment she requires. All the best.

Had someone tell me the other day something similar, they had to wait about 6 1/2 hours for an ambulance.

Pure and simple this NHS is being ran into the ground to make way for a US type healthcare by this government, no fault of the people at ground level but i suspect it’s not going to improve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This .
    Good to hear that eventually your mom is getting better care, as for the NHS - this is the G&D and politics are frowned upon.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Sorry to read that, but not surprising, it's been this way for some time (just read the news). A long underfunded and under-appreciated NHS, exacerbated by recent events. As to lying to move yourselves up the queue, I can't criticise. This should probably be in the BP - give the political links.

I wish your mum a full and speedy recovery. Hopefully she'll be out in time for Christmas.

I understand they categorise calls and only a Level 1 has a 'time to arrive' service standard. That is not breathing/heart stopped. Everything else is as and when.

If I really really needed an ambulance, a cardiac arrest would be part of my description of symptoms.

Some blame does go to those not needing one taking up valuable units of course.

Master
    ^^^ Watched a program recently & you would not believe the amount of time wasters & hoaxers they get daily.

I spent last Christmas Day in A&E with FIL 87 who had an uncontrollable nose bleed & the amount of drunks & dossers filling the cubicles was a shock. Some were just taking beds to sleep it off whereas others became abusive & violent. Personally I would throw them out self inflicted problem & blocking care needed by genuine cases.

Very sorry and saddened to hear this.

Speedy recovery I hope.

The system and country truly is broken.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    ^^^ Watched a program recently & you would not believe the amount of time wasters & hoaxers they get daily.

I spent last Christmas Day in A&E with FIL 87 who had an uncontrollable nose bleed & the amount of drunks & dossers filling the cubicles was a shock. Some were just taking beds to sleep it off whereas others became abusive & violent. Personally I would throw them out self inflicted problem & blocking care needed by genuine cases.
    I suspect Christmas Day, like New Years Eve is always carnage in A and E and best avoided but for real emergencies...my sympathies to anyone having to avail themselves of hospital on such occasions.

People get what they voted for.

Here we go again.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    People get what they voted for.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Not specific to OP, just general points based on the comments here.

1. Telling fibs to get faster service may sound like a good idea, until you realise loads of people do it and it gets in the way of identifying the true life-threatening emergencies.

2. In an awful lot of cases, people would be better off just getting someone to drive them to A&E. They're not going to get faster treatment by arriving via an Ambulance.

3. Time wasters are in abundance, both pure nothing wrong b/s and 'I feel unwell' type nonsense while sitting in a house with a car outside and multiple adult family members present... (see #2).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Here we go again.
    But you do realise there´s only gonna be more to come as the service buckles further under increasing pressures... its á sign of the times as those running the show seek to divide the populace against itself, they will perforce increasingly politicise aspects of daily life. That acknowledged, totally agree we should respect Eddies rules. So I´ll say no more.

Should all future threads of this nature OR similar go straight to BP...?
    Last edited by Passenger; 11th December 2022 at 16:33.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    But you do realise there´s only gonna be more to come as the service buckles further under increasing pressures... its á sign of the times as those running the show seek to divide the populace against itself, they will perforce increasingly politicise aspects of daily life. That acknowledged, totally agree we should respect Eddies rules. So I´ll say no more.

Surely you meant to say......

Totally agree we should respect Eddies rules. So I´ll say no more.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Surely you meant to say......
    Maybe.

Early October my 96 year old mother in law fell, nine hour wait for ambulance and another three hours in the ambulance at A&E waiting to be seen.

From what I hear if your old don't be ill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

1. Telling fibs to get faster service may sound like a good idea, until you realise loads of people do it and it gets in the way of identifying the true life-threatening emergencies.

2. In an awful lot of cases, people would be better off just getting someone to drive them to A&E. They're not going to get faster treatment by arriving via an Ambulance.

3. Time wasters are in abundance, both pure nothing wrong b/s and 'I feel unwell' type nonsense while sitting in a house with a car outside and multiple adult family members present... (see #2).
    Seems to be more and more people either calling an ambulance or going to A&E for minor injuries or non urgent ailments. Calling an ambulance used to be a last resort kind of thing for more serious injuries.

True. But you also used to be able to see a GP when you needed to.
    We are lucky because, while the main hospital’s A&E near us is often overwhelmed, there is a minor injury clinic in Folkestone where you get seen quickly.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    This will get worse and worse until the politicians believe that promising to resource the health and social care system will win votes.

Don´t get old, don´t get ill, simple.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Called into my GP practice, last Thursday (8th), as you can’t get through on the phone. First appointment 10th January!

Master
    I'm increasingly amazed at how many people still manage to have an 'I'm alright Jack' apathy/attitude to politics given the clear and major deterioration in so many pubic services over the last 12 years.
    It's appalling to see so many increased waiting times, with ambulances outside AnE for hours on end because there's nowhere to discharge patients to.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I'm increasingly amazed at how many people still manage to have an 'I'm alright Jack' apathy/attitude to politics given the clear and major deterioration in so many pubic services over the last 12 years.
    It's appalling to see so many increased waiting times, with ambulances outside AnE for hours on end because there's nowhere to discharge patients to.
    Hush, you´ll set OOK off.

Master
    Agreed. It is staggering. I think maybe there are a hell of a lot of “one-issue” voters since Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post

Sorry to hear about your Mum, and I hope she gets all the treatment she needs for a full recovery.

As for the root of the current problem - I'd best leave that for in the bear pit!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think there will be a lot deaths among the elderly due to Ambulance waiting times and the cold, it’s a very sad situation. It’s going to a very long Winter. Stay safe people.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    We are lucky because, while the main hospital’s A&E near us is often overwhelmed, there is a minor injury clinic in Folkestone where you get seen quickly.
    That would be for the Channel Migrants.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

Spot on (albeit the NHS is clearly on its knees).

Master
    We have all been told what the end game is for years and years and years. This is the new norm.

Hve money- you will be ok.

Don’t have money - good luck, but maybe work harder, get another job and you will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    We have all been told what the end game is for years and years and years. This is the new norm.

Don’t have money - good luck, but maybe work harder, get another job and you will be ok.
    You can't pay for a faster ambulance.

Blog Entries
    Hush, you´ll set OOK off.
    I'm not allowed remember, G&D.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Asked a paramedic I know what their majority of calls was. She said about 5% emergency, 95% taxi service.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Sorry to hear about your Mum, and I hope she gets all the treatment she needs for a full recovery.

As for the root of the current problem - I'd best leave that for in the bear pit!
    +1
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Asked a paramedic I know what their majority of calls was. She said about 5% emergency, 95% taxi service.
    My partner used to work in an A&E reception and said that especially on weekends, only 1 in 10 were actually worthy of being called an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    My partner used to work in an A&E reception and said that especially on weekends, only 1 in 10 were actually worthy of being called an emergency.
    The problem is the paramedic teams are tied to the patient and handover depends on space and can often means they wait hours and hours, taking that unit off the road.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    Seems this might be part of the problem.

Master
    Blog Entries
    These drunks and idiots who abuse the emergency services should be charged if proven and fined, it would soon stop them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    These drunks and idiots who abuse the emergency services should be charged if proven and fined, it would soon stop them.
    I think you will find a lot of the idiots and drunks don’t have any money anyway so what can you do with them ?

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

It's a similar situation or at least that's the mentality in the USA...My In laws are fortunate/ hard working enough to be somewhere up in the top 1 percent, they have an assisted living unit in a nice campus type facility in North Carolina and can still just about manage for themselves when they overwinter at their place in Florida. Nevertheless their youngest son, himself a Doc, has advised them not to be overly confident that money will conquer all...even over there it seems resources are not limitless and I think he particularly means that as there are more and more old rich sick Americans the supply of people to treat them/ cater to their needs, particularly good people, is by no means guaranteed.

I hope your Mum gets all the care needs and makes a good recovery, it's amazing how resilient some of the older generation can be.

My Nan did similar thing when she was 94, albeit it was her arm that was lacerated after falling down the stairs and through a wrought iron and glass side table, she didn't call the warden or an ambulance, she called my mum. This delayed getting the help she needed by hours and she almost died through loss of blood, as it was she was told she'd lose almost total use of her damaged arm. Through sheer determination and a little knowledge (she was a nurse during ww2) she exercised her damaged arm every day and regained almost total use of it again. She was a stubborn bugger!

Master
    End of last year on tail end of Covid restrictions, my neighbour banged on the door asking for help.

I asked if he’d taken drugs* and he said no, an ambulance crew arrived, they asked him the same and he said yes. It was apparently the fourth time that day they’d been out to him.

I’ve described this event to put into context some of the selfish stupid crap people do at the cost of people that need support.

* exhibited the signs.

Master
    No ambulance available for an 89 year-old man with a broken hip.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63948640

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I think you will find a lot of the idiots and drunks don’t have any money anyway so what can you do with them ?
    Maybe have drink tanks as in parts of the US. Put them in there together until they've sobered up...

Prob is people can make all sorts of suggestions on the huge range of issues that face this country currently but Unless you have someone at the top who is prepared to do them...

Hence why this country s in the state it is in

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    No ambulance available for an 89 year-old man with a broken hip.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63948640
    Blimey poor old lad, damn good thing he has a resourceful granddaughter and family to come up with the improvised stretcher and van solution, jeezus what a situation eh, him a veteran as well.
    Last edited by Passenger; 13th December 2022 at 11:56.

A friend of mine recently paid £11,000 for his wife to have a hip replacement done privately. She was in constant pain and couldn't walk to the end of their drive - the consultant she saw at the NHS hospital told her that the waiting list for hip replacements was 18 Months to 2 Years! There was no way she cold wait, hence the work was done within a week at the above cost.

It's fine if you have money, which they did, but imagine suffering for 18 months for what is a fairly straightforward routine operation.
    Best Regards - Peter

Master
    A friend of mine recently paid £11,000 for his wife to have a hip replacement done privately. She was in constant pain and couldn't walk to the end of their drive - the consultant she saw at the NHS hospital told her that the waiting list for hip replacements was 18 Months to 2 Years! There was no way she cold wait, hence the work was done within a week at the above cost.

It's fine if you have money, which they did, but imagine suffering for 18 months for what is a fairly straightforward routine operation.
    There’s an odd dynamic here where the private doctors and surgeons work for the NHS. I know I will get vilified for this, but there is something about this dynamic that’s merits analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    There’s an odd dynamic here where the private doctors and surgeons work for the NHS. I know I will get vilified for this, but there is something about this dynamic that’s merits analysis.
    Indeed. I also believe that, in some cases, the facilities used for private operations are NHS facilities too.
    Best Regards - Peter

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a friend who is 20 years a paramedic.

He says the amount of time wasted by idiots is mind boggling.

He has “regulars” who call him out because they have run out of paracetamol or fags … load of call outs to drunks or people having minor panics a whole raft of pointless call outs.

He says you have to really really try hard to get black listed for persistent time wasting.

The next problem is the lack of social care leading to the system getting blocked.