closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What was your first X rated scary movie you saw at the Cinema ?

Hybrid View

What was your first X rated scary movie you saw at the Cinema ?

I was talking to one of my grand daughters tonight who knows I don't like horror or scary films and she asked which was the first horror I watched, when I was young we had a little local cinema a five minute walk from were I lived, The Aylestone that we all used especially on Saturdays for the matinee and as we entered our early teens we wanted to show how BIG we were and go to an X rated film because at the time I think you had to be 16 and we werent :)

The film was called The Tingler and me and a couple of friends walked home afterwards up what was called black pad (pitch black) and half way up there must of been a courting couple we couldent see and the guy said aye or something, we ran like the devil was chasing us and i'm pretty sure I left a mark in my underpants :)

ps: Even today when showering I keep one eye open having seen Psycho years ago, they do scare me :)

What’s an x-rated film? An 18?

yup, x ratings went out in the early 80's.

Master
    Blog Entries
    First horror film I saw was The Shining. Must have been about 10. My brother let me watch it on VHS.

In the cinema, not the first but certainly the scariest was the rerelease of The Exorcist. Bloody terrifying.

Halloween 1. I was 13 and watched it at youth club. I seem to remember putting on a straight face in the club but crapping myself on the walk home in the dark.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Halloween 1. I was 13 and watched it at youth club. I seem to remember putting on a straight face in the club but crapping myself on the walk home in the dark.
    Halloween is a classic!

I was 17 when I saw The Exorcist at the cinema when it was first released.
    There was a huge amount of hype around it, certian councils refused to let it be shown.
    St John's Ambulance were on hand at the cinema in case of faintings, trauma etc.

The cinema was packed, there was a procession of blokes taking their crying girlfriends out of the cinema as the film went on.

It scared the crap out of me, I found it seriously disturbing for quite a few days.

I was going to watch The Omen and hated it, I realised that horror films and me really don't work.
    I haven't watched another 'real' horror film since.

I’m going with The Evil dead
    Causes me no end of nightmares as a kid

Master
    Not on the cinema but remember watching American Wear Wolf in London when I was too young to be watching it..........🥴

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Not on the cinema but remember watching American Wear Wolf in London when I was too young to be watching it..........🥴
    Yes, this was me also. Great movie

Hell raiser. Pin head. Still scares me now

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Hell raiser. Pin head. Still scares me now
    I quite like Hellraiser. I'll still happily rewatch any of the first three films whenever they are on TV. Clive Barker is a great horror film writer director. In fact, I've got Nightbreed on TV now.
    Last edited by Christian; 10th May 2021 at 23:28.

Not on the cinema but remember watching American Wear Wolf in London when I was too young to be watching it..........若
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Yes, this was me also. Great movie
    Me too, I was on holiday in Devon (not far from Dartmoor) and had friends there, we watched American Wear Wolf in London and I actually remember that fear today, I was bricking it!

When they left the pub and were on the moors that stayed with me, as much as I love Dartmoor, Bodmin Moor the thought of going on them at night would take me back to when I was 9 or 10 I think..

The Omen - had me very scared.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Not on the cinema but remember watching American Wear Wolf in London when I was too young to be watching it..........若
    Didn’t PETA try to get that one banned?

Master
    The Exorcist - showing my age. Thems were the days...

Classic film and groundbreaking in it's day, I know a girl who was in it, the Punks snogging on the Underground, that was actually her look at the time and they pulled them off the street and asked if they wanted to be in a film, she's Honor Blackmans daughter

For me Halloween as above was the first Horror I saw when I was about 12, it was the Music that got me the most.

Also I'd read the Stephen King Book Salems Lot when I was about the same age and the TV version of it with David Soul came out and I begged my parents to let me watch it, as I was allowed they let my younger Brother who was 9 watch it too, it terrified the living crap out of both of us, at the time one of my main hobbies was tormenting my Brother and we had scaffolding up around the house having a new roof put on, so as scared as I was I went outside in the dark and got a rake from the shed and climbed up the scaffolding with it and scraped it on my Brothers bedroom window whilst saying let me in, I've never heard anyone scream so loud and I got grounded for a month, still worth it!
    Last edited by Vanguard; 11th May 2021 at 10:26.

I think most of my early experience with films I was probably too young for came from watching Moviedrome.

Some that stuck in my mind were,
    The Wicker Man
    The Fly
    Assault on Precinct 13
    An American Werewolf in London
    Yojimbo
    Manhunter

Master
    Nightmare on Elm Street - stuck with me for a while that one

Salem’s Lot. Got dropped off the bus 2 miles from home after watching it at local youth club and that walk spooked me I can tell you. True darkness is a cloudy night with no street lights or moon in the countryside. Sharpens your ears though....the sound of your breathing and footfalls are the stuff of nightmares

Salem's Lot for me too, although not at the cinema as I was way too young. All the buzz in school was that is was coming on TV. I asked my parents if I could watch it....No!

I stayed awake in my room until the start time. We had an open plan lounge and staircase so I quietly crept out of my room and sat at the top of the stairs watching the film over the heads of my parents.

My Dad had to come and rescue me as I was rooted to the step crying like a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Salem’s Lot. Got dropped off the bus 2 miles from home after watching it at local youth club and that walk spooked me I can tell you. True darkness is a cloudy night with no street lights or moon in the countryside. Sharpens your ears though....the sound of your breathing and footfalls are the stuff of nightmares

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I was talking to one of my grand daughters tonight who knows I don't like horror or scary films and she asked which was the first horror I watched, when I was young we had a little local cinema a five minute walk from were I lived, The Aylestone that we all used especially on Saturdays for the matinee and as we entered our early teens we wanted to show how BIG we were and go to an X rated film because at the time I think you had to be 16 and we werent :)

The film was called The Tingler and me and a couple of friends walked home afterwards up what was called black pad (pitch black) and half way up there must of been a courting couple we couldent see and the guy said aye or something, we ran like the devil was chasing us and i'm pretty sure I left a mark in my underpants :)

ps: Even today when showering I keep one eye open having seen Psycho years ago, they do scare me :)
    Was that the old bingo hall on the corner of Grace Road ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gshort67 View Post
    Was that the old bingo hall on the corner of Grace Road ?

That was the one and a guy called Albert used to be the usher, the paper shop opposite was who I did my paper rounds for.

Craftsman
    A Clockwork Orange scared the life out of me in 1972. The first X rated film that I managed to get in to see as a school boy was Woodstock. Hard to imagine now that it was given that rating.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    A Clockwork Orange scared the life out of me in 1972. The first X rated film that I managed to get in to see as a school boy was Woodstock. Hard to imagine now that it was given that rating.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    A Clockwork Orange was also my first 'X' rated 'horror' film - after its release I remember some sad individuals walking the streets dressed like droogs.
    Ditto on Woodstock too

Prior to the cinema and when I was left to babysit my younger brothers I used to watch old horror films like The Pit And The Pendulum on the TV.
    Last edited by Stanford; 11th May 2021 at 13:52.

The Shining in 1980...would have been 15 at the time.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    Carrie for sure

Don’t recall if Alien was an X (18) or not but that was pretty scary on the big screen

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Carrie for sure

Don’t recall if Alien was an X (18) or not but that was pretty scary on the big screen

Was Carrie the one where at the end her arm shot out the grave ? if so I watched that with one of my daughters who also knew I was not keen on horrors and at the end I had just finished saying to her "see they don't bother me I just don't like them" when the arm shot out, jeeze I reacted so much my body ached for a few days after :)

Good thread - you are talking "Horror" though, just to be clear? ;-)

I can't recall at the cinema, but I think it was The Omen, aged about nine on VHS.

That gave me a few sleepless nights...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    Nightmare on Elm St at a friends house. For added effect he went off to the toilet and reappeared wearing a Freddie mask and glove. That was fun….

I didn't really watch horror at the cinema but on VHS it was American Werewolf in London and The Omen. Both scared the hell out of me....probably more The Omen which is still IMO one of the best horrors ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Good thread - you are talking "Horror" though, just to be clear? ;-)

I can't recall at the cinema, but I think it was The Omen, aged about nine on VHS.

That gave me a few sleepless nights...
    Yes that was a cracker and gave me nightmares

Not a horror film fan, in fact I positively dislike them but watching The Exorcist when it first came out at the cinema and going back to our holiday chalet on the edge of a dark field.........
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Was Carrie the one where at the end her arm shot out the grave ? if so I watched that with one of my daughters who also knew I was not keen on horrors and at the end I had just finished saying to her "see they don't bother me I just don't like them" when the arm shot out, jeeze I reacted so much my body ached for a few days after :)
    Yep! That’s the one. Great final make the audience jump moment

Had to think about this, the only thing approaching scary I saw at the cinema was The Silence of the Lambs.

Actually, also Sex and the City 2

Craftsman
    Scum

On video when I was too young I watched The Exorcist alone in the dead of the night. That film scared me so much that after the film finished I couldn’t muster up the courage to go upstairs to bed. Seemed like I waited for 2 hours but most probably only 15-20 minutes

In the cinema, sneaked in to watch Halloween with a few friends, again being a wus I was scared sh@tless

I watched Fright Night in a cinema in Toulouse. We were 10 and it was nearly empty, it was terrifying . The other one that really got to me was Camdyman when I was about 18. Since then I avoid horror - if I’m watching a film I want to be entertained not traumatised

Carrie, The Fly, Alien, quite a few of the ones already mentioned but the worst by miles was Watership Down. Utterly terrifying.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Carrie, The Fly, Alien, quite a few of the ones already mentioned but the worst by miles was Watership Down. Utterly terrifying.
    100% Watership Down, horrific at the time I remember

Don’t think I have watched it since

Master
    The first 18 I watched at the cinema was Blade. I would have been 16 then, and I remember it well because we had to try three times to get in as my best mates mum and sister both worked there, so we had to find a day neither were working. The first two visits we watch What Dreams May Come (Robin Williams) and Armageddon. My word, simple times...

The first one I saw that gave me sleepless nights was Jeepers Creepers - guessing I would have been 18 or 19 then, but the little dirt road the "creeper" lived on was identical to an old farm track I had to walk down to get home (no street lights, no traffic - creepy at the best of times!)

I remember watching Aliens on telly when I was about 11 or 12 though. Babysitter fell asleep and that armoured car the Colonial Marines had was just too cool to pass up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    100% Watership Down, horrific at the time I remember

Don’t think I have watched it since

And sad too. I still have to pretend to get something from the kitchen at the end.

Master
    Not at the cinema, but alone at night as a kid I watched both The Exorcist and The Thing. Both gave me sleepless nights.

Master
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre was another particularly gruesome horror largely because it was rumoured to be based on a true story. Didn’t see it at The Flicks though

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    The Howling...I was 12 and it scared the **** out of me.

Showing my age but the first X rated film I saw at the cinema was The Evil Dead. Properly scary in the day but looks dated now.

Friday the 13th was my first at a cinema. My friends and I nearly died of fright at the very end: the sole survivor girl is in a row boat on a lake, its dawn, and the police car has just turned up. Expecting the credits and then the arm comes out of the water.

Two of us jerked so violently we smashed our knees against the wooden seats in front of us and were in some pain.

A couple of years later (aged about 16) on the first night ever sleeping home alone with my parents and brother away, it really was a stupid idea to watch A Nightmare On Elm Street. I think I stayed up until dawn not wanting to sleep

At the cinema The Exorcist scared me, I was a bit jumpy walking home. Before that and on TV it was The Uninvited (with Ray Milland).

My first X-rated film was back in the early 60's at the Stoll in Newcastle. My friend's grandad was the uniformed doorman and he used to let us in under age. Vincent Price in The Pit and the Pendulum. He seemed to dominate horror films around then.

Craftsman
    Alien was the first X rated film I saw in the cinema (I think it was X rate anyway). Sixteen year old me thought it would be a good idea to take a girl to see it as a first date. I don't think she was too impressed...