closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cycling over 1000 miles (JOGLE) for local wildlife

Cycling over 1000 miles (JOGLE) for local wildlife

I’m doing this thing with my girlfriend and we decided to raise some money for local wildlife. We live in Hampshire, so we chose Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust.
    I thought I’d share it here in case someone thinks it’s a good idea and wants to help the cause.
    Thanks!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/pawel-glita

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well done!

I’ve done something similar - on my exercise bike - worked out at 1083 miles I think.

Edit:
    Just read your page. You’re ACTUALLY riding the route?
    I did it in my spare room, wearing pants and watching Netflix. Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Well done!

I’ve done something similar - on my exercise bike - worked out at 1083 miles I think.

Edit:
    Just read your page. You’re ACTUALLY riding the route?
    I did it in my spare room, wearing pants and watching Netflix. Respect.
    Yes, I’ll be planning the route soon when I get some spare time.

To be honest... doing it on the turbo would be like a torture to me, so respect to you!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Yes, I’ll be planning the route soon when I get some spare time.

To be honest... doing it on the turbo would be like a torture to me, so respect to you!

If you look up the Conqueror challenge, that’s the route I took. Not the shortest but apparently the most picturesque.

Master
    Nice one, hope it goes well. Long distance cycling is addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    If you look up the Conqueror challenge, that’s the route I took. Not the shortest but apparently the most picturesque.
    Just had a quick look, do I need to sign up to get the map?
    We’re doing it the wrong way around, so from the top to bottom. I will be using cycle.travel to plan the exact route.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Nice one, hope it goes well. Long distance cycling is addictive.
    It sure is.
    I’ve done smaller trips and one big one in 2014 - Caen, France to Burgos in Spain, did it in 8 days. It was hard.
    Looking forward to this next one.

Nice one, Paweł and Vanessa. Safe cycling and be sure to post some updates. The poster is fab.

I love this forum.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good luck, I did it the other way 10 years ago. It’s an epic ride and not to be underestimated.

I wrote up my trip with a list of hints and tips here. https://www.redvelo.co.uk/tours/2011-lejog/

Maybe some use, the GPX files are also there but you’d need to reverse them.

Any reason for choosing to head south? Lining yourself up for higher probability of headwinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Nice one, Paweł and Vanessa. Safe cycling and be sure to post some updates. The poster is fab.

I love this forum.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Good luck, I did it the other way 10 years ago. It’s an epic ride and not to be underestimated.

I wrote up my trip with a list of hints and tips here. https://www.redvelo.co.uk/tours/2011-lejog/

Any reason for choosing to head south? Lining yourself up for higher probability of headwinds.
    I’ll check it out. Thank you.
    We’re going the other way around as it just makes sense logistically. We live in the South, so the fact we’re going home will help. Or so I hope! I found out about the headwinds when going south to Spain, 4 days in a row, rain and headwind.
    I’m hoping July won’t be very windy, if it is... oh well.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

thoroughly enjoyed reading about trip and all the data. Quite an achievement if you don't mind me saying so.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Just read through that, well done. Amazing effort. I'd imagine the 146 miles day is one of your ''best'' days ever. Respect.
    With that bike, I'd imagine the route was paved all the way? I am not yet sure if it's worth going off road for a bit here and there. I heard it can be worth it.

I think this is quite different to what we're doing. We're unsupported, we are not racing. We have steel bikes with 33-35mm tyres. I am aiming to do 150-200kms per day but will play it by ear. We'd like to do it in 13-14 days with some days off in-between. So, 10 days riding in total seems about right.
    Then we'd like to ride another 200-300kms East to get closer to home, but we'll see about that.

Thanks again for all the resources - really helpful and gives a nice idea of the route.

Master
    G

It's downhill doing it that way :)

Good luck OP. I did it back in 2011 and did it the same way round as you, albeit supported. One of the best things I have ever done, amazing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    It's downhill doing it that way :)

Good luck OP. I did it back in 2011 and did it the same way round as you, albeit supported. One of the best things I have ever done, amazing experience.
    There’s an even easier route although a bit longer - https://cycle.travel/route/lejog_east_coast

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just read through that, well done. Amazing effort. I'd imagine the 146 miles day is one of your ''best'' days ever. Respect.
    With that bike, I'd imagine the route was paved all the way? I am not yet sure if it's worth going off road for a bit here and there. I heard it can be worth it.

I think this is quite different to what we're doing. We're unsupported, we are not racing. We have steel bikes with 33-35mm tyres. I am aiming to do 150-200kms per day but will play it by ear. We'd like to do it in 13-14 days with some days off in-between. So, 10 days riding in total seems about right.
    Then we'd like to ride another 200-300kms East to get closer to home, but we'll see about that.

Thanks again for all the resources - really helpful and gives a nice idea of the route.
    Yes those route files are for paved roads; no tracks or paths. I don't recall ever thinking the route was too busy but there were a few desolate sections in the midlands. Funny thinking when we reached the Scottish boarder we were only half way ...

We did 9 days straight and were unlucky with the weather; it was a tough tour, more so that some tours I have done in the Alps. The weather really wasn't very nice, but that is luck of the draw.

The way you plan to do it sounds much more enjoyable; if I were to ever do it again I think I'd plan to take 14 days and have an easier schedule and the option to skip a day if the forecast wasn't good.

Are you camping or are you doing B&Bs?

I will add a bit into your fund raiser.

Would be good to hear updates of your trip as you go ...

Yes those route files are for paved roads; no tracks or paths. I don't recall ever thinking the route was too busy but there were a few desolate sections in the midlands. Funny thinking when we reached the Scottish boarder we were only half way ...

We did 9 days straight and were unlucky with the weather; it was a tough tour, more so that some tours I have done in the Alps. The weather really wasn't very nice, but that is luck of the draw.

The way you plan to do it sounds much more enjoyable; if I were to ever do it again I think I'd plan to take 14 days and have an easier schedule and the option to skip a day if the forecast wasn't good.

Are you camping or are you doing B&Bs?

I will add a bit into your fund raiser.

Would be good to hear updates of your trip as you go ...
    Thank you Montello!

9 days straight in a bad weather sounds tough. I think a lot of people don't realise how hard it is until they already doing it. I found out the hard way going to Spain. Headwind, rain, no views. Toughest few days on the bike I've ever done. Thankfully, then it cleared up as soon as we hit Pyrenees and all was forgotten.

We are going to try and find as many YHA's as possible, but probably end up in B&Bs and hotels. We'll see. Definitely not camping. I'm not that hardcore.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Montello!

9 days straight in a bad weather sounds tough. I think a lot of people don't realise how hard it is until they already doing it. I found out the hard way going to Spain. Headwind, rain, no views. Toughest few days on the bike I've ever done. Thankfully, then it cleared up as soon as we hit Pyrenees and all was forgotten.

We are going to try and find as many YHA's as possible, but probably end up in B&Bs and hotels. We'll see. Definitely not camping. I'm not that hardcore.
    My legog was camping but after the 6th night I bailed and checked into a B and B. Having a bit of comfort and warmth is well worth the money. Plus if you are unsupported you don’t want to carry the kit.

My legog was camping but after the 6th night I bailed and checked into a B and B. Having a bit of comfort and warmth is well worth the money. Plus if you are unsupported you don’t want to carry the kit.
    Exactly. On top of everything the price of the lightweight camping gear is quite significant. I'd rather have comfort than invest into something I'll use once every couple of years. I guess some people enjoy camping wild and I can see the appeal, however on the long ride like this, I need a shower... Otherwise, I don't feel good.

Theres 3 weeks to go, if anyone’s interested in the progress, I’ll try posting daily on the JustGiving page.

All packed. Whole day on the train tomorrow and a another 4h on Saturday. We should be on the road by midday. I’ve connected my Strava to the JustGiving page, so go there for daily updates.
    If anyone fancies joining us for a few miles along the way - feel free to do so. Probably best to PM me for the full route. Thanks!

P.S.
    If I don’t post here in a couple of weeks, I probably got killed by some idiot in a car not paying attention.

And done.
    12 days, 1,635km, 17242m of elevation. What a ride it’s been…
    Thank you to everyone who donated

Master
    well done to both of you, just chipped in to your fund raiser..

i really need to do lejog...

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    well done to both of you, just chipped in to your fund raiser..

i really need to do lejog...
    Thank you. UK is very pretty… although can be very wet in the summer as we’ve found out!

Master
    Blog Entries
    And done.
    12 days, 1,635km, 17242m of elevation. What a ride it’s been…
    Thank you to everyone who donated

Well done. Always rains on lejog. Any photos or tales?

Well done. Always rains on lejog. Any photos or tales?
    It was fairly straightforward really, only one puncture. A lot of beautiful views throughout. The worst bit was from Preston to Liverpool (last 60kms or so of our 200kms day) with lots of cycle paths crossings/traffic lights. Scotland was absolutely magical, people are lovely. Not seen as many cyclists as I expected.

You can see some photos if you go to the JustGiving page, as I’ve linked the Strava to it, so you can see the rides one by one too.

Oh, and Wales has some seriously steep climbs! That plus the heavy rain we had on Sunday made it for slippery fun at the end of the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

Master
    Blog Entries
    It was fairly straightforward really, only one puncture. A lot of beautiful views throughout. The worst bit was from Preston to Liverpool (last 60kms or so of our 200kms day) with lots of cycle paths crossings/traffic lights. Scotland was absolutely magical, people are lovely. Not seen as many cyclists as I expected.

You can see some photos if you go to the JustGiving page, as I’ve linked the Strava to it, so you can see the rides one by one too.

Oh, and Wales has some seriously steep climbs! That plus the heavy rain we had on Sunday made it for slippery fun at the end of the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko
    Just had a look at your page, some long days there. Well done to you both.

Master
    Just had a look at your page, some long days there. Well done to you both.
    Agreed, congratulations, you should be very proud both of the ride and your fundraising efforts

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Agreed, congratulations, you should be very proud both of the ride and your fundraising efforts
    Thank you for the donation Sir

Grand Master
    Congratulations mate, I’m slightly jealous after a bout of Covid has kept me out the saddle for a month but well done and onwards and upwards
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Congratulations mate, I’m slightly jealous after a bout of Covid has kept me out the saddle for a month but well done and onwards and upwards
    Sorry to hear that, hopefully you’ll get back to it soon! All the best to you

Grand Master
    Sorry to hear that, hopefully you’ll get back to it soon! All the best to you

I’m
    Back in it now. Almost back to my old
    Self
    RIAC

Well done to you both. A fantastic effort for a great cause.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Well done to you both. A fantastic effort for a great cause.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thank you very much Gary.