closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Norwegian Cruise 2022.

Norwegian Cruise 2022.

My good lady will be turning 50 this October so I need to pull my finger out and make it a special one.
    Shes always wanted to go on a cruise to the fjords etc....looking at June 2022 so hopefully I can get something booked up to make her dream come true.
    Been trawling the internet but struggling a bit to be honest to make much headway. Was thinking of minimum 10 or 12 nights...Norway maybe...
    Just wondered if any of you good people can offer some advice with your wealth of knowledge and experience.
    Thanks in advance as always for any help and ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    We did a Norwegian cruise a few years ago with P&O, highly recommended and a great way to see Norway as its so expensive when you get off the ship!

Blog Entries
    Have done a Norwegian cruise and can highly recommend it as a great way to see the fiords and get a taste of the Country all the major cruise lines have these cruises in their programmes just down to personal choice and as been said been said the cost of living is mind blowing
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    Check out Star Clipper cruises.. well worth the little extra

Master
    Beautiful place to cruise to - having a drink at the top of the ship but when still light, looking out over the scenery is magical

Try to book one that stops at Flam and pre-book the mountain railway trip. It's a 5 min walk from the cruise terminal and stunning.

I was due to go back there again on the new P&O ship Ionia last August which got canned.

Went with P&O a couple of years ago. Stunning scenery - sadly the trip we did to the Troll Wall was fogbound. We did see the Northern Lights though - one of the most amazing natural occurrences I have ever had the privilege to witness. As somebody said previously, factor in that any purchases during shore excursions will be costly.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I think most Norwegian cruises are around 7 days from memory. Its on my bucket list.

The 10 to 12 day ones are generally Scandinavian ones. We did Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and had 2 nights in Russia - St Petersburg was an amazing place to see. Was with Celebrity Cruises.

have only been with P&O once and i dont mean to be unkind but have they entered the 20th century re entertainment and catering? we went western med with them about 10 years ago and it was like stepping back a generation or two.
    done 3 other cruises since with the more americancentic lines and found them very 'american' but much less dated.

i recommend st petersburg with celebrity.

that said if P&O have got it together in the last couple of years we would go back - as a bit 'yanked out' re cruises if you'll pardon the expression.

cruises for Norway leave from Rosyth which is quite near us, we looked at fred olsen and could only find 7 day runs.
    so have a few fun days in edinburgh then pop over to rosyth for the cruise ...

Did 12 days cruising the Fjords the summer 2019.

Absolutely beautiful - stunning in every respect. Go in the summer for the best weather.

One of the nicest cruises we ever done.

Oh, and a must visit is the oil museum in Oslo - I kid you not - brillliant.
    So clever my foot fell off.

We did a 7 day one with RC in 2016, absolutely stunning scenery we went in end of may beg June so air temp was warm enough but seemed a bit surreal wearing Ts and shorts surrounded by all the snow peaks.
    2020 we were due to do the 14day Baltic to Russia

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Did 12 days cruising the Fjords the summer 2019.

Absolutely beautiful - stunning in every respect. Go in the summer for the best weather.

One of the nicest cruises we ever done.

Oh, and a must visit is the oil museum in Oslo - I kid you not - brillliant.
    Could I ask who you went with please?

Thanks for all the advice so far, taking it all in and appreciate everyone taking some time out of their day to reply.

Master
    My Mum and Dad went with these and really raved about it

https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/destinations/norway/

A more authentic experience but with decent food and a more casual atmosphere.

I’m going to go with them in a couple of years and they do 12 days.
    Last edited by craig1912; 10th May 2021 at 19:48.

Blog Entries
    We did a Baltic cruise - goodness I just checked we went in 2012 - amazing trip for I think 10 days - stopping off at various cities / countries, ending up at St Petersburg. Google “Baltic Cruises” - I have some pictures archived - will post a link:

2012 Baltic Cruise

As regards Norwegian cruise - what about this one? https://www.fredolsencruises.com/cru...n-fjords-t2210
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 10th May 2021 at 20:27.
    Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it. HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    We did a Baltic cruise - goodness I just checked we went in 2012 - amazing trip for I think 10 days - stopping off at various cities / countries, ending up at St Petersburg. Google “Baltic Cruises” - I have some pictures archived - will post a link:

2012 Baltic Cruise

As regards Norwegian cruise - what about this one? https://www.fredolsencruises.com/cru...n-fjords-t2210
    Fantastic pictures . Thanks for the advice

Master
    Blog Entries
    Prices have shot up across the board

Did a 12 day cruise of the Norwegian fjords with Hurtigruten aboard the Nordnorge in Feb 2020. Pretty spectacular scenery and highly recommended. Warm clothes and good boots absolutely necessary. The ship is a working mailship / ferry, but comfortable and relaxed. The excursions are expensive (but unmissable for a one-off experience like midnight snowmobiling under the northern lights). Alcohol is eye-wateringly expensive due to very high local taxes.

I've been looking at the prices for 2022, and it's looking to be around 3k for the same trip, which I think is up about 25% from 2020.

MW

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Did a 12 day cruise of the Norwegian fjords with Hurtigruten aboard the Nordnorge in Feb 2020. Pretty spectacular scenery and highly recommended. Warm clothes and good boots absolutely necessary. The ship is a working mailship / ferry, but comfortable and relaxed. The excursions are expensive (but unmissable for a one-off experience like midnight snowmobiling under the northern lights). Alcohol is eye-wateringly expensive due to very high local taxes.

I've been looking at the prices for 2022, and it's looking to be around 3k for the same trip, which I think is up about 25% from 2020.

MW
    Always fancied doing that trip, but would need an extra baggage allowance for the Vodka
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    We did a Norwegian cruise a few years ago with P&O, highly recommended and a great way to see Norway as its so expensive when you get off the ship!
    Ditto. Our only cruise so far & we're unlikely to do another. The bits of Norway we saw were fabulous, but the days at see were not that much fun. Drinks on board the ship were pricey too as was the (piss poor) wifi we paid for.
    We did a 7 day cruise stopping at Stavanger, Olden, Alesund & Bergen.

From Stavenger we took a boat to see Pulpit Rock in Lysefjorden which was pretty impressive, but must be much more so from the top.

From Olden we went to & up the Loen Skylift which was just superb.

We paid for both those trips directly as P&O's prices were a joke. We just turned up at a boat for Lysefjorden (there were several just where our cruise ship docked). For the Skylift we bought on-line including the short coach transfer.

The views over Alesund are worth the bus trip up there.

The funicular railway in Bergen is a must. The views from the top are great, but head straight there (as fast as you can) as the queues build up very early.

Bergen is a very rainy place so take waterproofs with you even if it's sunny when you dock.
    Last edited by andy tims; 11th May 2021 at 08:51.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I have worked donkeys in Stavanger, Bergen and Oslo.

As has been said Bergen can be very rainy. I don't know whether it is an urban myth but I 've heard it said it is the wettest place on earth. The fish restaurants along the Bryggen are fabulous.

There is also a great oil museum in Stavanger, which is the home of the Norwegian oil industry.

I've only been as far north as Trondheim but would love to go to Longyearbyen/Svalbard or Kirkenes.

Master
    Given the uptick in prices Id consider a tailor made fly drive. Better vfm + you see a lot more. But if cruisings your thing fair doos.

Craftsman
    +1 for Hertigruten, We did the 11 day return (up to Kirkenes) saw the Northern lights on at least 9 of the 11 nights. Personally I'm not one for cruises and as this was a (comfortable)working ship I found the experience just wonderful. Oh and go to the Nordkapp (you can DIY for less than 1/2 price of organised trip) Cheers, John B4

Some really interesting feedback, Ive never cruised before which makes it more challenging to decide. The fly drive option is one Im going to look into...rings a bell with someone I once spoke to about hiring a motor home for same kind of trip. Glad shell only be 50 once .
    Thanks again everyone

Went with p&o a couple of years ago. 7 nights I think, which was fine. Stunning scenery. Yes, apparently Bergen is incredibly wet and we arrived on one of the few sunny and dry days of the year. Worth a photo

Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post
    Could I ask who you went with please?

Thanks for all the advice so far, taking it all in and appreciate everyone taking some time out of their day to reply.

Yes, Cruise and Maritime, who have since gone bust.

We have also done the Baltic one - also excellent.

We have a cruise booked for next year with Princess to Iceland and Greenland (this has now been postponed twice due to the pandemic).
    So clever my foot fell off.

I've done it with P&O in 2017, Norway is an amazing place.
    Only ever used P&O for the two cruises we have been on and never had an issue.
    Yes the WiFi is crap when at sea and out of phone signal, take the opportunity to switch off and chill out.. its not worth paying for.
    Entertainment, there will be something for you but maybe not every night.

Great way to see a few places without lugging your stuff around.

I was there a few years ago but on two wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    From Stavenger we took a boat to see Pulpit Rock in Lysefjorden which was pretty impressive, but must be much more so from the top.
    It`s quite a trek to get there on foot, but yes, it is worth it.
    2000` in height i believe..

It`s odd seeing those huge cruise ships parked at the side of the road when you`re in the Fjords, this is the roadside view of the Queen Victoria taken from where your second pic is looking down i think.