closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lost my Wedding Ring Over the Weekend...

Master

Lost my Wedding Ring Over the Weekend...

Since January I have been on a weight loss regime and shifted almost 15kg so far. As a result my fingers have become skinnier and I noticed my ring was getting looser. I had to change my youngest's nappy in the back of the car in B&Q car park this weekend as they have no toilets available and I heard a metallic noise dropping on the floor when I put the tailgate back up. I had a quick look but thought nothing of it, but then spent the rest of the day and Sunday morning feeling like I was missing something....I attributed it to not wearing my watch over the weekend. The Sunday afternoon I realised it had gone. I went back to B&Q car park and called them to see if anyone had handed it in but nothing. To say I'm gutted is an understatement. I've not taken it off since 2012 except for when I had an MRI but I suppose it's my fault for not getting it resized sooner. It was only a 6mm Palladium band but it's hard to explain the feeling of loss. Luckily my wife isn't too angry as she's enjoying the svelte MrBanks mk2.
    Sorry for the whiney post, if anyone knows a good jeweller who can provide another please let me know!
    Last edited by MrBanks; 10th May 2021 at 11:39.

For my ring i went with Tungsten Carbide. Totally scratch proof and it cost me a whopping £20

My wife gave me a brass curtain ring (well, it looks like one - She said it was gold... To be fair I never wear jewellery, other than a watch, and she said she didn't think I'd ever wear a ring!).

I've not worn it for a decade now, though - I think it's still in the bedside table drawer.

Oddly, though, I still have a habit of tapping the middle of my ring finger on the side of a glass when I pick it up.

I only started doing that when I started wearing my wedding ring, some habits die hard, it seems.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

When my wife and I were married, we bought bog standard silver rings.

I literally bent mine into an oval while putting flooring down during a hot summer.

That ring was replaced with a titanium one. They didn't have my exact size and, like yours, it soon slipped off my finger.

Ring number three was worn the day my wife passed away prematurely last year.

I now have 4 rings: my late wife's, the pretzel, the recovered hula hoop and the one that actually fits.

They're just bits of metal at the end of the day. But they do tell a story.
    My wife was careful and responsible, I am a klutz.

Master
    I feel for you! The same kind of thing happened to me - lost a bit of weight (not really sure how) and went through a few months of losing my wedding ring. Normally in the park when playing football with my son. Then I made sure I kept my hand closed and checked frequently.

One day I lost it whilst as work and couldn’t find it at all. Turned everything upside down, including the bins but no luck.

Next morning, I asked at reception just in case and they said yes a ring had been handed in the day before. Apparently it must have come off while I was having lunch as it was found by the catering staff. That was a close call.

I was completely gutted at the time as it’s not the cost, it’s the priceless value it has to me. Now it’s something I check all the time.

Blog Entries
    My Dad lost his wedding band too

5 years later I was pulling out the awning sides from their boxes on his camper and I found it!

He now has two wedding bands

Craftsman
    Similar thing happened to me - I had lost a bit of weight and I used to wear a gold wedding ring. My family (wife and 4 kids) went to a relatives wedding. I drove a Mercedes W124 estate at the time - the one that has seats that fold out of the boot space that face out of the back window. One of my daughters was a bridesmaid and she was sitting in the these rear seats.

Whist getting her out of the car with her 'meringue' style dress my ring fell off but but I hadn't noticed. Later at the reception I noticed that it was missing.

We carefully retraced where I had been and eventually found it. When I had refolded the rear car seats into the boot floor my ring had slid behind the metal folding hinges.

I haven't worn it since ..............................

OP, I really feel for you.
    I lost mine several years ago in a similar situation. I spent hours and hours and hours with a metal detector looking for it, as I knew roughly where I had lost it, but to no avail.

I now have a replacement platinum band c/o the insurance company, but it is not the same. It is just not the band I was married with. I am still annoyed with myself to this day and no longer wear the replacement and it lives in my wife's jewellery box.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    For my ring i went with Tungsten Carbide. Totally scratch proof and it cost me a whopping £20
    Good luck if you ever have damage to your hand, that ring won't be cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    There is a way.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I can understand your feelings very well, I know I would be terribly upset if I lost my ring. I engaged my wife in my early twenties when we were students. My ring is very basic white gold ring, probably worth 50-100gbp, but I've had it for 25 years now. I never take it off for anything.

I really hope that you get your ring back.

I’d be very upset if I lost mine. I once told Mrs Draft that it reminds me of her every time I look at it. She said “that’s nice- why is that?” I replied “because it’s heavy and covered with diamonds”….

I’ll start a RIP thread

Wifey lost hers doing the washing up, as she took it off every time she did it as it caused iteration.

I stopped wearing mine, I’m not sure why. So neither of us wear a wedding ring and not looking to change that. Works well in the swingers club.

But seriously, it has made no difference to our emotional outlook or relationship whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    As per Chris' post, they can be cracked off fairly easily. A&E's apparently have a special tool for the job now. Probably very expensive 'medical grade' mole grips, lol

Craftsman
    A few years ago I lost my wedding ring, I think when I was at home. I suddenly noticed I didn't have it on, and then I remembered taking it off to make bread, but I could not remember where I had put it. We looked everywhere! Perhaps I had put it in the pocket of my jeans? But where were my jeans? - oh, they were drying on the line, having been through the laundry. Quick dash outside to check the jeans on the laundry line - no ring. As a last, desperate hope, my wife thought to check the sump in the washing machine - and there the ring was! I have never been so relieved.

Gold really is a heavy metal - despite all that sloshing water, my ring had sunk to the bottom and stayed there.

A friend's wife lost her wedding ring when gardening ... they have a very large garden. I tried searching with my metal detector after retracing her movements ... but no luck. Friend borrowed the metal detector for the weekend and searched again ... and found the ring in the grass.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    “Only a 6 mm Palladium band”

Ouch! Best you sit down for the replacement price.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gutted for you OP ...

My wedding ring went on the day I was married and has never been removed ... its been on for 22 years now ... I'd be very unhappy to remove it now let alone lose it ...

Hope you find it .... good news on the weight loss.

Did you try the local Police station?
    It may have been handed in there.

Fingers crossed for a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    A few years ago I lost my wedding ring, I think when I was at home. I suddenly noticed I didn't have it on, and then I remembered taking it off to make bread, but I could not remember where I had put it. We looked everywhere! Perhaps I had put it in the pocket of my jeans? But where were my jeans? - oh, they were drying on the line, having been through the laundry. Quick dash outside to check the jeans on the laundry line - no ring. As a last, desperate hope, my wife thought to check the sump in the washing machine - and there the ring was! I have never been so relieved.

Gold really is a heavy metal - despite all that sloshing water, my ring had sunk to the bottom and stayed there.
    Disappointed. Thought that story was going to end with the ring in a loaf of bread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    When my wife and I were married, we bought bog standard silver rings.

I literally bent mine into an oval while putting flooring down during a hot summer.

That ring was replaced with a titanium one. They didn't have my exact size and, like yours, it soon slipped off my finger.

Ring number three was worn the day my wife passed away prematurely last year.

I now have 4 rings: my late wife's, the pretzel, the recovered hula hoop and the one that actually fits.

They're just bits of metal at the end of the day. But they do tell a story.
    My wife was careful and responsible, I am a klutz.
    Sorry for your loss; in the grand scheme, things are relatively never as bad as they seem.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Recognise that the rings means nothing. It doesn’t carry a story. Or a memory.

Get another and don’t give it another thought.

(Lost mine 5 years ago).

...that's what tell my wife whenever I "lose" my wedding ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    “Only a 6 mm Palladium band”

Ouch! Best you sit down for the replacement price.
    The price of Palladium was about £350 per ounce in 2012, north of £2,000 today.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post

(Lost mine 5 years ago).
    Unlike watches I suppose.

(Lost mine 5 years ago).
    Wow.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

).
    How sad.

Master

(Lost mine 5 years ago).
    Harsh but fair

I feel your pain. I lost mine 5 years ago on St Andrews beach (West Sands, think Chariots of Fire) at the start of a week's summer holiday. I rented a heavy-duty metal detector from Dundee for the week and spent most of the time asking tourists to move their towels as I searched for it - eventually found it in the final hours of the final day (divine intervention I like to think). It's also palladium (I didn't want to fork out for platinum).

I don't know of a good jeweller. We just bought ours was Ernest Jones (this was 20 years ago) - and also bought my wife's replacement from there (we stopped buying her good rings after her 2nd loss).

Master

(Lost mine 5 years ago).
    You or I can tell ourselves that to try and convince, but the reality is very different.

Unless you're unhappy with your marriage or divorced!!

I've never had one.

Back in the day it wasn't unusual for men not to have a wedding band.

Neither my Dad or Grandad wore one either.

Thought I'd carry on the tradition.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Wow.
    Wow what?

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    How sad.
    Why sad? What’s sad?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    You or I can tell ourselves that to try and convince, but the reality is very different.

Unless you're unhappy with your marriage or divorced!!
    That’s quite a jump.

If you need a wedding ring, and more specifically the one that you made your vows with...in order to be happy with your marriage or faithful or whatever then the problem is with yourself.

Sure nice to keep as a pass down. But ultimately it’s just a trinket that’s easily replaced. Once lost. No point dwelling. Replace with another (or not) and move on really. There is nothing to be gained by being wrapped up in a material item like that. Losing it doesn’t change anything in the past nor is it an indicator of the future of the relationship.

Still happily married 5 years later, never replaced the ring.......wow!

(I do wear my late mother wedding ring instead though)

Master
    Blog Entries

(Lost mine 5 years ago).
    That maybe your take on it but its clearly not the OPs and its not mine either but you are of course entitled to your opinion.

For me the wedding ring was a gift from my wife to symbolise and mark our marriage and it has sentimental value to me for what it represents and stands for. I'd be gutted if I lost it ... but if I did I'm certain our union would be unaffected but I'd still be sad to lose the ring.

Just as watches hold memories for me ...

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    That maybe your take on it but its clearly not the OPs and its not mine either but you are of course entitled to your opinion.

For me the wedding ring was a gift from my wife to symbolise and mark our marriage and it has sentimental value to me for what it represents and stands for. I'd be gutted if I lost it ... but if I did I'm certain our union would be unaffected but I'd still be sad to lose the ring.

Just as watches hold memories for me ...
    I agree with this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    I keep memories in my head.....it’s easier 😅

Master
    Well, had a nice little surprise today. My 5 year old daughter found my ring under my side of the bed tucked in between where the carpet meets the wall. No idea how she spotted it but she can do absolutely no wrong now this weekend!

Brilliant news. So pleased for you. Good job you never moved house.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    I bought the Sam sort, unfortunately on the evening of the wedding I ended up flushing it down the toilet !!!! Still married though and been together for 35 years so not bad luck!!!

Well, had a nice little surprise today. My 5 year old daughter found my ring under my side of the bed tucked in between where the carpet meets the wall. No idea how she spotted it but she can do absolutely no wrong now this weekend!
    Result!

In the words of Terry Pratchett, "Few things are hidden from a quiet child with good eyesight."
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

So many people seem to have "lost their rings"?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Have a word with Alexaff of this parish, he will steer you right.

Master
    That is fabulous news!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Fingers crossed for a happy ending.
    A sentiment we can all agree with.

Excellent news! The relief must be huge.
    But be carefull what treats you give her this weekend or she'll hide it there again ;)

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

That’s good news, I lost mine once, a few years later found it in the back of the sock drawer.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app