closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1984 Vespa PX 125 project

1984 Vespa PX 125 project

In a kneejerk nostalgia moment, I purchased a Vespa last night....whilst I was more of a Lambretta boy in my youth, home ported stage 4TS 1 kits, cut downs, Choppers, Mikeck pipes, Amal carbs, Beedspeed drops etc, the Vespa came up locally so I bought it.

Picking it up later, so not wholly sure of its overall condition etc, but I am planning on stripping it completely anyway.

Its been a long ( long time ) since I had anything to do with Scooters, and was hoping someone on here could offer me some advice as to a reliable big bore kit and ancillary items to enhance the performance.

Do I just bolt om a barrel kit, change the jetting and fit an aftermarket exhaust, or do I port the cases and fit a crank with different inlet timing as well?

As its an earlyish one, I believe Piaggio stated they had 9hp, so whilst I don't want a top end rev type screamer, gains overall would be sort...with a mid range acceleration priority

As always, any advice etc would be greatly appreciated.

K
    Last edited by keitht; 10th May 2021 at 09:07.

Master
    Lammylee to the bat phone.

There are a number of scooter fans on here, someone posted about a small case Vespa recently. Im sure someone will along soon.

My suggestion is reliability usual starts with electronic ignition new coil plug and leads before a big bore. Then that 9 bhp can be fully released!!!
    Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 10th May 2021 at 08:43.

1984 Vespa PX 125 project

Depends how you are going ride, if you going to rally’s and trips over a long distance I would put new cylinder kit on, friends have had Pinasco 177cc with a larger carb/rejet/exhaust that they rate, To be fair the original cast iron barrels are reliable but a bit slow for anything other than a local ride and you’ll have your hand hovering over the clutch in case it nips up if your going flat out on a duel carriageway. As with anything else hobby related scooters are another rabbit hole for emptying money into. There are some good Vespa forum’s with people who have previously tried and failed with different setups happy to give you first hand advice before you spend your own money. Happy riding

Try SIP in Germany, they sell complete 177 Polini kits with carb and exhaust which are rated.

It's still not going to be a flier but I guess you know that being involved before.

As Lee says, it can be a money pit but I know folks who still sort them on a shoestring.

Enjoy

Cheers,

Adam.

Thanks Gents.

Turns out it already has a Polini 177 fitted, plus a disc brake conversion, I think maybe the whole front end off a later PX.

Looks like a SIP road exhaust, I am going to pull it apart anyway and see what else may have been done, the guy I bought it from said it would do 80mph....so more like 60 I expect.....

Needs basic consumables replacing, shocks are toast and I shall do cables, rubbers etc as a matter of course.

Oh and some aesthetic work, looks like a home metal flake spray job.....done badly...

Will post some pics up later.....

Sounds good Looking forward to the pics...

Not sure who you plan to use for cables etc but Beedspeed are not the company they used to be....

Cheers,

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Sounds good Looking forward to the pics...

Not sure who you plan to use for cables etc but Beedspeed are not the company they used to be....

Cheers,

Adam.
    Thats a shame Adam, I used Beedspeed a lot back in the late 80s, but thanks for the tip,