closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 20 Years Ago Today…..

20 Years Ago Today…..

Well, tomorrow actually, but I’ll not have time at work to post.

I ordered my Submariner in 1999, with money my Grandfather gave me for my 21st. Had to wait almost 2 years to get the call. Believe it or not they weren’t easy to get even back then.

20 years old and still going strong. It’d be that last thing I sell, after the shirt on my back. I paid £2020 for it, so it’s been a very good investment although in some respects that’s a shame as its value makes it less fun to wear day in day out, for a few reasons.

Must be the most classic and iconic watch ever?

Last edited by mr noble; 9th May 2021 at 15:57.

Master
    Absolutely stunning now that’s what I call a full set. You look to have taken good care of it as well it looks almost as new condition, what a fantastic set, congratulations for keeping it and not being tempted to “upgrade”

very nice Greg lovely to have something with so much meaning and for so long....keep enjoying and keep wearing it...

Master
    Fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    1999 seems like only yesterday - running a Y2K project when the world was about to end! Well done keeping it and looks in super condition.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice. Just wear it, no doubt you have it appropriately insured.

In 1999, I went to work on a W2K project for 6 months... and I'm still there (not still working on the W2K project, I hasten to add!).

That's a lovely classic watch you have and with a great story to go with it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Congrats on the anniversary! Crazy that there was a waiting list even back then

Happy anniversary! Maybe treat it to something nice tomorrow ...

Out of interest, is that 2 services it's had in that time (2007 and 2014)? Does that mean almost time for another?

P.S. I am surprised you had any wait, never mind 2 years. Before I eventually bought my first Rolex (16600) in 2009, I remember lusting after them for years in the Argyle Arcade windows - and there were always Subs and SDs on show back then. Maybe demand was higher 10 years earlier.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 9th May 2021 at 19:24.

I can’t fully remember why there was a two year wait, but I can remember the excitement of getting a call to say they had one and driving up the M6 to pick it up. I was working for a company based up there at the time and think I’d ordered it when in the dealer with my then boss in 1999. I had also ordered a Daytona from the dealer in Cambridge which took a full 7 years to arrive! I sold that to Ryan on here and later bought the Zenith version which is the one I always wanted. I still have that one too.

I wear this Sub most days. Not sure how it’s remained in such good condition. I take it off for any task that may damage it.

Serviced twice. I guess it is due another one, but I think as it still runs fine I’ll wait a while.

Yes, Rick, its insured on the house so no worries wearing it out and about.

I’ll certainly be wearing all day it tomorrow!

looks fantastic... a real keeper :P

Master
    What a great watch to have owned from new for 20 years, wonderful.

Were you interested in watches then - that is, as a collector? Or did you just happen to make an excellent choice of 21st birthday watch?

Fantastic!

Beautiful, iconic watch. Cherish it and maybe bequeath it to an offspring (even females wear Subs!).

A lovely watch and set. A great decision made at 21 years old.

Craftsman
    I remember the era in dive watches well. This was around the time I was really strongly getting in to watches. I had a Breitling Colt Auto at the time, but I was listing after either a Seamaster Pro or a Submariner. I think perhaps this was a year or two later than your purchase, the Submariner was £2,300 and the Omega Seamaster was £1,200 (the quartz was £995). I lusted over these watches, went regularly to the authorised dealer for a chat and a look and eventually got a Seamaster.

I didn’t have the foresight to hang on to that particular watch, though it did lead to many others. But that was a great time in watches for me. Sounds like,it was for you too. Great watch to hold on to for all that time. I feel your pain a little in the value taking a little away from the experience now, I’m seriously thinking about downgrading in value.

Anyhow, nice story and a nice pic.

Craftsman
    That’s lovely, great set a sure fire keeper !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to correct the price. Looking at the receipt as I was putting it all away just now……it cost £2120….I’d paid a £100 deposit already.

I think at that time I already had a couple of watches. It’s the only piece of “jewellery” that us blokes really wear, unless you’re into rings and necklaces’, which I wasn’t.

I had a few lesser watches like a Tag 2000 and an awful Elesse thing which I though was amazingly cool at the time (still own that one, but wouldn’t dream of wearing it!)

I’d say the Submariner was top of my want list since I was about 17 or 18.

I think my Grandfather was a bit shocked when he found out I’d spanked all the money he’d given me from a savings account he’d had since I was born, on a watch! But I’m pretty sure if he were here now he’d be chuffed that I bought that watch and that I’ll cherish it until my last day.

I’ve made a point of wearing it on every important occasion. Weddings, funerals, the birth of both my children. It sounds daft to be attached to a piece of metal, but it definitely has soul.

It is already listed in my will, to be given to my son, who’s 1 month old today. I made the will before he was born. Only person who was ever going to inherit it. Just hope he likes watches too!
    Last edited by mr noble; 9th May 2021 at 23:31.

A lovely story - yes, I'm sure your Grandad would be pleased with your choice, it's cherished and gives you an ongoing connection with him too.

I feel connected to my SD, as my first and after a wait of many years - and your's is so much more special.

I agree. Black Submariner date is easily the most iconic watch ever made. And 16610 is my favorite Rolex watch too. It's just perfect and the fat lugs successor never seemed to "grab" me in similar fashion.

People can say that the DateJust is the most popular and how the Day-Date is the flagship model of Rolex... but steel Submariner has created a whole homage watch INDUSTRY.

People can also argue that Sub originally came without date but I'd say the cyclops look is the "contemporary classic Rolex look" for anyone under 65 years old.

Cheers.

A lovely story and a decision that though your Grandad may have initially frown upon, will now be smiling.
    Classic Rolex and one that can be treasured for many decades to come :-)

Master
    Being a regular traveller through Heathrow at the time everything was plentiful and available until autumn 2016 (though I could be a year late with that) but everything had disappeared by autumn 2017.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    A lovely story and a decision that though your Grandad may have initially frown upon, will now be smiling.
    Classic Rolex and one that can be treasured for many decades to come :-)
    My grandparents gave me cash for my 21st that was all spent on hifi. Wish I’d bought a sub. Hifi is all gone now, although it did last 20 years.