closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car electrics

Car electrics

Any knowledge on the dark arts of auto electrics in the parish? Nearly half of the running lights on my Mini have stopped working (one headlamp, two indicators, one side light and an entire rear cluster) though the bulbs all look fine... I’ve also checked fuses (using the old “hold them up to the light” method).
    Strangely the instrument cluster appears unaware as it isn’t displaying a warning. Probably requires an auto electrician but might anyone know of another possible cause?
    Thanks for any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relays or bad earths?
    The bulbs might look fine, but you could swap them around to check for sure
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thanks - I bought new bulbs and swapped a few around so definitely ruled them out. Embarrassingly I don’t know what a relay is - are they like big fuses on the fuse board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These minis have a common fault with the body control units. Best to take it to a good auto electrician to be checked correctly

Good to know Matt - thanks. I previously had to take it to the dealership to get a software update on the head unit (infotainment system). Love the car but the electrics appear to be its weak point. I'll probably look for a decent independent auto electrician this time.

I haven't looked myself however there must be an owners club or two on the 'net, look them up and search through those or join their forum and ask directly. I'd be surprised if you didn't get a reasonable steer from them, I certainly have on the (non MINI) car forum I'm a member of.