closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai advice sought, please.

Hybrid View

Panerai advice sought, please.

Good morning,

I have my eye on 2 watches to add to my daily wearer as I'd like to rotate. I am quite picky about watches and I read stuff on here with fascination; the knowledge is exceptional. So, I have a liking for blue on a watch and a couple of Panerais have caught my eye. There is a PAM 959 with a lovely grey dial and then an online only Azzurro.

Does anyone have a view on these watches or any knowledge about Panerai in general? I have a gold Sub blue dial as a daily and I recall getting encouragement on here when I took the plunge on that 4 years ago. Glad I did, it is next level.

Michael.

The 959 is lovely and is really different and would be a real change from the Rolex. The Azzurro less so but still a nice watch. Spec wise not much difference but a big difference in list price.

Aren’t they the same price? Although better chance get a discount on the 959 as it’s not online only.
    Basically the same except different colour dial and bezel so comes down to which you prefer
    the look of.

Thanks. Same price, yes, seemingly just different dials. I'm leaning towards the 959.

Master
    Hi Michael. Some nice options, and as said they're basically the same watch, so just depends upon you're preference.

If resale was a consideration I would suggest that the Azzuro is more conventional in looks so might be an easier sell.

Subject to your timeframe there is an evolution due in the summer, a 42mm diver on a bracelet. I can introduce you to someone at the London Panerai boutique who might be better placed to tell you more.

Also, as a rotation with your Rolex I wonder if a non-diver is a consideration. This will be available soon and you can easily switch from bracelet to strap.

https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec...or-chrono.html

https://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch...ee-references/

Wow, thanks for that. I do like the Submersible range more though. Very helpful, thank you all.

As others have said, personal preference on colour scheme. Although not a Submersible, have you considered the PAM1085 Luminor?

Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    Good morning,

I have my eye on 2 watches to add to my daily wearer as I'd like to rotate. I am quite picky about watches and I read stuff on here with fascination; the knowledge is exceptional. So, I have a liking for blue on a watch and a couple of Panerais have caught my eye. There is a PAM 959 with a lovely grey dial and then an online only Azzurro.

Does anyone have a view on these watches or any knowledge about Panerai in general? I have a gold Sub blue dial as a daily and I recall getting encouragement on here when I took the plunge on that 4 years ago. Glad I did, it is next level.

Michael.
    In terms of 'knowledge about Panerai in general' I started a similar thread a little while back which has a few opinions both for and against the brand:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...not-to-buy-one

As for the two watches you've mentioned I by far prefer the overall look of the Azzurro over the 959. That grey looks a bit washed out to my eye at least, whereas the Azzurro seems to tie in a bit better with the blue bezel/dial wording and then the dark face with a dark strap.

Good luck with whatever you end up buying though, I've enjoyed my first foray into the brand and have been wearing mine every day since it arrived

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    As others have said, personal preference on colour scheme. Although not a Submersible, have you considered the PAM1085 Luminor?
    I much prefer the Submersible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    In terms of 'knowledge about Panerai in general' I started a similar thread a little while back which has a few opinions both for and against the brand:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...not-to-buy-one

As for the two watches you've mentioned I by far prefer the overall look of the Azzurro over the 959. That grey looks a bit washed out to my eye at least, whereas the Azzurro seems to tie in a bit better with the blue bezel/dial wording and then the dark face with a dark strap.

Good luck with whatever you end up buying though, I've enjoyed my first foray into the brand and have been wearing mine every day since it arrived
    My wife said the same about the washed out dial. Hmmmmm.

Have you seen Scooby's on SC?

I much prefer the Submersible.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife said the same about the washed out dial. Hmmmmm.
    Buy the 1389 on sc ,you can’t go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that but I am after a blue bezel version.

I've probably pulled out of the 959 or Azzurro. Neither seems to be available with even a modest discount and I can't see them representing £8,500 as they are. Very attractive but I think I could do better for my money. I think buying what you like is always the way to go, but I can't justify 8.5 for either. There is an unworn 2019 959 with a company called Chase Hattan and at their 7k, I'm interested. They didn't respond to an email so that's that.

Got my 1314 from them

Master
    +1 to them- Have spoken to Jitesh and 100% my next watch purchase will be coming from them.

Acquiring any production Pam seems relatively easy these days. Asked about a 359 from a few places and told now way, asked Panerai themselves, and a phone call later they had 2 if I wanted one.

Master
    Look forward to seeing the pics, should be an interesting comparison .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Received and all-in-all a superb service from New Cavendish Jewellers.

Problem, I am damned if I can size this bracelet...the screws are minute and the tool provided doesn't seem to shift any of them. Am I missing the obvious?

https://youtu.be/1m1QGywa_fw

Daft video. I simply cannot get any screw to move on the bracelet. Absolutely infuriating.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Daft video. I simply cannot get any screw to move on the bracelet. Absolutely infuriating.
    Have you got a sea dweller screwdriver? If you have, use that not the pam driver as theyre hopeless.
    also, hot/boiling water in a mug and dip the bracelet in there for a few minutes, bring it out and hold with cloth, try and unscrew when its heated.
    Could be they've used thread lock which you need to heat to soften in order to remove screw.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Have you got a sea dweller screwdriver? If you have, use that not the pam driver as theyre hopeless.
    also, hot/boiling water in a mug and dip the bracelet in there for a few minutes, bring it out and hold with cloth, try and unscrew when its heated.
    Could be they've used thread lock which you need to heat to soften in order to remove screw.
    Thanks mate. Travelling down to France tomorrow, overnight in Kent. Might call in at Bluewater and have a jeweller do it. I'll give your solution a try. Fitting the strap was easy but the bracelet is so nice I prefer it on.

Thanks.

Nice looking Pam and collection.

Now was Sergio named after 2012? haha

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Nice looking Pam and collection.

Now was Sergio named after 2012? haha
    Oh yes. He is indeed Sergio Kun Aguero, no joke, the other one somewhere in the trees is Vincent Kompany. I know, daft.

Going to send the bracelet back and have their watchmaker loosen the screws and remove 2 links. The hot water didn't work, possibly due to the useless Panerai sizing tool.

Thanks for the replies and ideas.

Master
    I’ve had the 959 , but then went for the online only Azzuro. How’s that for logic !?
    Absolutely love the blue bezel on both , so I’m sure you’ll love the 1068
    I only swapped as I feel the black face makes it feel and appear more “ functional “

Impressive watches. I'm new to the brand and so far so good.

Has been a long time since I handled a Panerai bracelet.
    An internet search seems to suggest it might be pins and collars. Would be surprising if they were but that is what it seems to suggest.