closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Lexus RX300 2nd gen owners past or present?

Any Lexus RX300 2nd gen owners past or present?

Hey all!

Long story short, I’m currently thinking of scratching a strange itch I’ve developed for a Lexus RX300 2nd gen (I’ve put a pic on this post for clarity on the version I’m talking about).

I fancy one for the following reasons:

- I like the idea of a comfy, auto cruiser for trips when I can’t be bothered with driving my company vehicle or E89 Z4; which itself is a weekend car but a bit hard work at times until you get out the city due to all the start/stop and road conditions at present.

- after being the usual review geek I am I was surprised to find out just how reliable they are when looked after. Tons of videos online of 170k-240k still running as new and understanding they’re essentially Mitsubishi parts, specifically the reliable v6 that’s still used nowadays at its core.

- pretty damn affordable!

I’ll refrain from typing about the current one I’m weighing up a deal on until I see if anyone actually has any experience or input on them.

Many thanks in advance and have a great weekend :-)

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Not directly but a family member has a rx400. Bought at 141k a good few years back it has been pretty much indestructible. I know he doesn't expect it to go wrong, it's a toyota!
    His has the MK stereo and the rear dvd etc, SE-L I think. Not the best 4wd so no range rover replacement but a bit more traction if the going gets sticky and whilst not super quick the hybrid does bolster the mpg somewhat. There's a clever sub boot floor storage area too.
    They look slightly odd from some angles but I'd imagine bought sensibly they'd be pretty reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Not directly but a family member has a rx400. Bought at 141k a good few years back it has been pretty much indestructible. I know he doesn't expect it to go wrong, it's a toyota!
    His has the MK stereo and the rear dvd etc, SE-L I think. Not the best 4wd so no range rover replacement but a bit more traction if the going gets sticky and whilst not super quick the hybrid does bolster the mpg somewhat. There's a clever sub boot floor storage area too.
    They look slightly odd from some angles but I'd imagine bought sensibly they'd be pretty reliable.
    Thanks, David.
    Waiting to see what’s what but potentially have a very good deal for a 2005 87k for about £2k.

Alright interior that should come up better with a bit of detailing, non-air suspension version too which negates the chance of that going wrong.
    Thoughts are that if I like it after a couple of weeks messing about with it then I’ll tidy it up, swap out the front bushes and springs (I think) that have been an advisory on the last couple of MOTs. Then likely change all fluids and filters, same with gearbox and possibly the timing then see just how long it’ll run for. Something kinda interesting to it for me, I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s just the value for money and knowing I can run it probably for another 100k without much issues and not have to worry about it owing me anything.

It doesn’t have the ML system. I’d thought of swapping it if I get one that doesn’t have it but I think there’s also a known issue with the amps for them, maybe not the 400, so I’ll likely just stick in a double din and then get airplay and hands-free to boot.

Get what you mean about the angles. I quite like it when you see a decent example and the paint is crisp and headlights sharp. For a 16 year old car it’s aged not too bad IMO.

I had an RX400h years ago for my daily run around.

It was hugely comfortable with fantastic seats, didn't handle great but was strangely quite chuckable, quite slow and the gearbox is thrashy, very well built, not very economical at all (even given it was a hybrid), totally reliable, and I actually really liked it.

A bit of an acquired taste, but oddly endearing.

Oh, and the alloys tend to corrode even after only a couple of years, so be prepared to have them refurbed.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I had an RX400h years ago for my daily run around.

It was hugely comfortable with fantastic seats, didn't handle great but was strangely quite chuckable, quite slow and the gearbox is thrashy, very well built, not very economical at all (even given it was a hybrid), totally reliable, and I actually really liked it.

A bit of an acquired taste, but oddly endearing.

Oh, and the alloys tend to corrode even after only a couple of years, so be prepared to have them refurbed.
    Thanks, everyone seems to have pretty good experiences from what I’ve heard.
    I do like the idea of trying an LS at some point too but this seems a decent and super affordable entry to the brand. All I want it for is getting about comfortably. If I want a bit of rear wheel driving fun the Z4 is good fun but on the normal city and suburbs it’s gruelling at times (or you spend the journey dodging a years worth of holes that weren’t sorted during covid). Be nice to just sit at 30, nice seats, sounds and just absorb most of the crap. The ease of an auto too.

Although fuel is even worse on the non hybrids, but I guess you can’t have it all and it’ll not be a daily commuter or anything like that.

Going to factor in a wheel refurb then if I keep it, along with correcting a scuff on one of the doors.

I've had two LS400 and one LS600h. Just bought a one year old RX450h which we all love already. Great cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I have had six GS lexus - all from new, kept for three years and 60000m apart from the last one which I kept for 17 years and 65000m.

Apart from wear and tearables I did not have any failures/breakdowns.

I did have one rear light go (there is a warning light) and a front sidelight bulb.

I have replaced the last V8 with a straight six turbo which is about 10mpg more fuel efficient.

The build quality - certainly up tp 2005 is definitely over engineered :-)

B

Craftsman
    Hello.
    Had an RX350 I think it was a 2007 model. 3.5L V6. Really nice. Reasonably quick and handled ok. 31mpg avg no matter how it was driven. Fed it all its normal consumables and it never failed mot or went wrong in the 3 years I had it. This colour.

Regards
    V

I used to have an IS220d and I bloody loved it.

Not is the same league as the GS and LS range but it was solid, practical and bullet proof.

Mine developed a rattle within warranty and they took the whole dash and both front seats out to find it for me. Top notch service and worry free motoring.

Master
    Has an LS400 many moons ago lovely old barge. Recently had an Rx400h. I’m not sure about slow but it certainly accelerated quickly but was limited to 112mph.
    Best mpg I got was 42 and a bit on a run from Wolverhampton to Bedford in bad traffic. It will drop to 5 if you stick the boot in.
    Hybrid PSD (gearbox) is an acquired taste but I miss it and my current Mercedes has the 9g gearbox which is meant to be one of the best.
    I did try the 300 but it was slow and clunky. Would last forever though.
    If you want ML stereo in it but one with it factory fitted. It’s not that simple to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Has an LS400 many moons ago lovely old barge. Recently had an Rx400h. I’m not sure about slow but it certainly accelerated quickly but was limited to 112mph.
    Best mpg I got was 42 and a bit on a run from Wolverhampton to Bedford in bad traffic. It will drop to 5 if you stick the boot in.
    Hybrid PSD (gearbox) is an acquired taste but I miss it and my current Mercedes has the 9g gearbox which is meant to be one of the best.
    I did try the 300 but it was slow and clunky. Would last forever though.
    If you want ML stereo in it but one with it factory fitted. It’s not that simple to fit.

You've just reminded me, perhaps it wasn't that slow in a straight line, CVT box (which I quite liked) a bit noisy though.

The Philip Levinson stereo onboard was very good - weirdly though it had a cassette deck (!) years after literally nobody was using them. So I bought an adapter (looks like a cassette) to plug in my iPod and it worked great.
    So clever my foot fell off.

We’ve also got a 2007 Rx400h as the family car. Best family car that we’ve ever had.

Super comfortable, pretty reliable and a reasonable amount of ‘go’. I can definitely recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chr1stof View Post
    …and understanding they’re essentially Mitsubishi parts
    You do know that they are Toyotas, right?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    You've just reminded me, perhaps it wasn't that slow in a straight line, CVT box (which I quite liked) a bit noisy though.

The Philip Levinson stereo onboard was very good - weirdly though it had a cassette deck (!) years after literally nobody was using them. So I bought an adapter (looks like a cassette) to plug in my iPod and it worked great.
    Mark Levinson.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........