closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor now and in the future

Journeyman

Tudor now and in the future

After looking at Tudor and Omega recently Tudor seems to have exploded over the last few years. Why is this? Is it price? Quality? Marketing? Will the pricing go up a lot over the next few years or will they always be a lower cost brand. There must be something special that they have the two ADs I visited both said they preferred the bb58 over the 300m. Some brands seem to have gone off the boil like Breitling and IWC and Panerai. Why is this?

I’d say a combination of some cracking releases and Rolex being unobtainable

I’d also say that Omega seem to be releasing lots of ‘new’ versions of watches that have been around for years, the only discernible difference being a massive price hike. As Tudor are relatively unknown over here in the Uk with some strong releases over the last few years they are very fashionable at the moment. I have to say I find their designs a bit lacking ‘in the metal’ - they look great in pictures but I find the case shapes a bit clunky, none have really tempted me so far. I do think if you handle an Omega they feel like a better made product than the equivalent Tudor - and the various Tudor QC issues you read about on forums seems to suggest there are a few lemons out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    A lot of it is trading on the association with Rolex and the overwhelming popularity of Rolex. But I also think the designs are nice, not overly flamboyant and will stand the test of time very well. They have had a number of popular releases now with the pelagos, 58’s, GMT, BB41 range and now the chronos. Moving to in-house movements (contentious issues given the movements are supplied to a number of brands) is also something people like and certainly elevated the brand in many peoples eyes.

I do think prices will continue to rise to get closer and closer to iwc, omega etc as Rolex also continue to raise its prices away from those brands. They still need to consolidate the models a bit I’ll as there are a lot available. As a brand I like them.

For some when they couldn't buy a Rolex they bought an Omega instead. Now there's also Tudor.

Blog Entries
    Being contentious I suggest Tudor is a loss leader to Rolex. I’m not sure Tudor fits at the same level as Omega. Omega has gone for METAS certification as a UPS and raised its prices level or beyond their target market.

I wouldn’t believe everything ADs tell you - they are there to make sales.

As for Brietling - they share the B01 to Tudor for the Chronos and visa versa from Tudor to Breitling. This goes back to a long tradition of sharing ebuache (sp) within the Swiss Watch industry. I think Breitling is trying to reinvent itself - not sure it’s successful. I used to like them lot. I am now more in favour of Zenith.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 7th May 2021 at 21:42.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Being contentious I suggest Tudor is a loss leader
    I think contentious is putting it mildly - can’t see how the modest manufacturing costs and volumes for amortisation would create per unit losses on Tudor. Nor does Rolex strike me as a brand that requires as loss leader to get the punters into the shop....

Master
    Having owned various Omega from Speedy, thru SMP and Railmaster, I have a BB58 in the collection and no Omega’s left. The 58 is damn perfect ergonomically for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Having owned various Omega from Speedy, thru SMP and Railmaster, I have a BB58 in the collection and no Omega’s left. The 58 is damn perfect ergonomically for me.

Agreed. I’ve owned a couple of Omegas and frankly never bonded with them the way I did with my BB58, it might not be a higher quality watch than those Omegas, but it is the better watch for me.

Craftsman
    If I’d the choice between an Omega SMP and a BB58, it would be the Omega all day long - the level of quality is easily to see when you compare the two side-by-side. The price difference isn’t that much but you can definitely see why you’re paying more for the Omega.

I disagree, the SMP is around 95% more then the Tudor. I'd suggest that's a considerable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    If I’d the choice between an Omega SMP and a BB58, it would be the Omega all day long - the level of quality is easily to see when you compare the two side-by-side. The price difference isn’t that much but you can definitely see why you’re paying more for the Omega.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I think contentious is putting it mildly - can’t see how the modest manufacturing costs and volumes for amortisation would create per unit losses on Tudor. Nor does Rolex strike me as a brand that requires as loss leader to get the punters into the shop....
    Oops. I had the wrong terminology. I was thinking in terms of Tudor being a brand to buy - as Rolex is unobtainable both physically and financially. And you get to look inside RSJ.

Personally I returned all my Tudors (BB58, GMT, Chronos).

My first “good” watch before I joined the watch swapping brigade on TZ was my trusty SMP 300M quartz. Maybe that’s the slight niggle is that it hasn’t really changed except slightly fatter and probably a better - technically - movement for the autos. But then cost has rocketed.

So I own neither at the moment.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th May 2021 at 11:43.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I'd say it's unfair directly comparing Tudor to Omega, particularly the BB to the SMP. Two quite widely different price points in the watch market.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Oops. I had the wrong terminology. I was thinking in terms of Tudor being a brand to buy - as Rolex is unobtainable both physically and financially. And you get to look inside RSJ to get your Tudor serviced (movement swapped).
    I do think that is quite a clever/opportune selling tactic from Rolex...go into Rolex to have your Tudor serviced.

Tudor only re launched in the UK 6 or 7 years ago, so their activity since could definitely be considered quite the explosion. They have obviously earmarked a fair old budget towards establishing themselves in the UK market, and I think thats why their pricing has been fairly keen - whether it will stay that way is doubtful.

They seem to have aimed quite squarely at eating into Omegas market, so might be no coincidence that Omega have since decided they will bump themselves a ring or two up the pricing ladder thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    For some when they couldn't buy a Rolex they bought an Omega instead. Now there's also Tudor.
    Pretty much this and in response Omega seem to be oddly trying to price their watches closer to Rolex even though they can still be found at 10 - 15% discount. Rolex seem to be hitting Omega from both sides and Omega instead of boxing clever and pricing just a little over Tudor seem to have hit the nuclear button.

As someone else said on this threat Tudor are priced very well at the moment but if one of their competitors does take a fall I cant see that lasting for very long.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think Tudor are offering some great new/old designs and the price is reasonable.

Personally I think all the limited editions Omega pump out cheapen the brand and they lose their distinctive identity. It’s all too messy.

As a relatively new re-entrant to the UK market , Tudor pricing is relatively low for the quality of product . Once they gain market share, I think prices will rise. Tudor are essentially replacing the previous 5 digit Rolex market. The new chronographs are fantastic value at £3900. As a value comparison a Rolex GMT2 cost around £2800 in 2007, the Tudor GMT is £3040 in 2021, not a fair comparison I know, but does show how well priced they are.
    Last edited by GMT2; 8th May 2021 at 15:46. Reason: Year correction

Craftsman
    Some really good points here. I think its unfair to Omega to compare Tudor with it at this time. Omega is a touch above but there is no doubt Tudor has eaten into the market that Omega owned about a decade ago. I own both brands and feel a little disappointed that Omega deserted entry level luxury sports watch category in its pursuit of Rolex. Omega was making some sensational watches 1-15 years ago in this category eg the original Planet Oceans. Tudor has filled this void for me.