closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC Special Editions - take seriously or stick to the originals

CWC Special Editions - take seriously or stick to the originals

I was thinking about the various CWC special editions, reissues and even the occasional limited edition and wondered what other people's views on them are. As a few examples we have had the 1980 Auto and 1983 RN Quartz Divers, the W10 1972 Mellor and even on the G10 front there was a recent limited edition 80 for the airborne. These sold out on pre-order but a few are listed on e-bay at present and are selling for a premium above the original list.

To balance the discussion an original 1980 Auto diver is rarer than a Rolex Milsub (rarer, but not more expensive) and a genuine 1983 Quartz wouldn't be cheap either. However, original 1976 W10s and the G10 Fatboy from 1980 and 1982 can still be bought for fairly reasonable prices, although they are a lot higher than they were a few years ago.

So do the reissues and special editions have a place when originals are almost impossible to buy, or is the money better spent on something original and issued. A case of buy the best you can with the money available. We have discussed the residuals of the modern releases on other threads, so not looking to repeat that here, more the principal of which to buy, original or modern reinterpretation of an original watch.

Interestingly, the G10 for the Airborne was opened up to the general public when for other limited editions you have to be a serving or past member of that organisation in order to qualify for one.

Thoughts?

People will probably be bored with me droning on but I do like a CWC...
    For me original is best but as you say they some are like rocking horse sh1te, so the reissues do have a place.
    They are also very good quality reissues and care has been taken to make them as accurate as possible whilst using modern materials.
    The specials they make are not for me but they do have a place. They are a good quality watch after all. There are not many watch companies out there that will make you a watch to your spec, even as a one off. Their customer service standards could teach the big boys a thing or two.
    I wish them all the success possible.

The 1983 reissue is a great looking watch in its own right.

I've had automatic and manual CWC divers in the past and the reissue a much better looking thing. Pictures really don't do it justice.

If you offered me an issued original for mine I'd happy to:

• swap,
    • sell your original and
    • buy another 1983 reissue.

Last edited by raysablade; 7th May 2021 at 17:04.

I think we are signing off the same hymn sheet here. First up is the '72 Mellor which I am considering.

List is £450 and you could probably get one of these on e-bay for around £350. Bear in mind that a 1970s W10 would cost at least double that and some.

The next is more tricky, the G10 Airborne limited edition.

Only 80 made and completely sold out. These retailed to the lucky 80 at £300 and second hand, though often unworn they are going for £400 to £450. So you are paying a premium to get one, but most listed are usually the day they have arrived, so are in mint condition.

I am tempted by this Watch. There are two on e-bay at present which I am watching.

Logically the Mellor will be available a lot longer so no real rush to buy one and if in the meantime someone sells a nice W10 then the Mellor will hit the dust. Decisions, decisions.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The next is more tricky, the G10 Airborne limited edition.

Only 80 made and completely sold out. These retailed to the lucky 80 at £300 and second hand, though often unworn they are going for £400 to £450. So you are paying a premium to get one, but most listed are usually the day they have arrived, so are in mint condition.

I am tempted by this Watch. There are two on e-bay at present which I am watching.
    Are you parachute qualified?
    If you are: no brainer! :)
    If not, the answer on that is pretty simple too :)
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 7th May 2021 at 18:01.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    If you offered me an issued original for mine I'd happy to:

• swap,
    • sell your original and
    • buy another 1983 reissue.

Ha! :) 100% agree! :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    People will probably be bored with me droning on but I do like a CWC...
    For me original is best but as you say they some are like rocking horse sh1te, so the reissues do have a place.
    They are also very good quality reissues and care has been taken to make them as accurate as possible whilst using modern materials.
    The specials they make are not for me but they do have a place. They are a good quality watch after all. There are not many watch companies out there that will make you a watch to your spec, even as a one off. Their customer service standards could teach the big boys a thing or two.
    I wish them all the success possible.
    Ha, yes- I come from the other end of the spectrum, and am buying more out of nostalgia as I approach the end of my military career.
    I've never understood how the original g10 was specc'd to be only splashproof, and I'd only buy 'nostalgically' on the basis of an improvement.
    For example to me, it's a shame the W10 wasn't reissued with 1 or 200m water resistance - I would simply never entertain buying a watch that I cannot swim or shower in.

With that, I've no understanding of a desire to collect clapped-out G10s... until buying a gs sapphire last year, every G10 I've worn was issued to me and I'll admit to having a mild amusement at the nuances and details collectors seem to agonise over, most of which would have been of zero interest or consideration to a REME cfn repairing these in a base workshop 'back when'; and certainly of no interest to me as a user. They'd just have been taken apart and put back together with whatever was available to make them work. That said, I wore a 16710 24/7 unless doing something where I thought it imprudent - such as dealing with people in the Balkans.
    It really is each to his own! :)

Of the two watches CWC have done for me recently, both have been to a vastly improved spec over 'issue', and they've been exactly what I asked for, even when presenting 'odd' ideas: I can't rate their customer service too highly.

If I wasn't as nailed-on to water resistance as I am, any modern CWC watch (with a T dial only!) with it's reliability, warranty and underpinning customer service would be a no-brainer over 'clapped out'. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    Are you parachute qualified?
    If you are: no brainer! :)
    If not, the answer on that is pretty simple too :)
    Did 34 years in the MoD, but unfortunately we never used parachutes. Might have been useful if we had as one guy jumped out of a 7th floor window only to splat in the car park below.

I did wonder why CWC made these watches generally available. I think I'll stick with clapped out.

Did 34 years in the MoD, but unfortunately we never used parachutes. Might have been useful if we had as one guy jumped out of a 7th floor window only to splat in the car park below.

I did wonder why CWC made these watches generally available. I think I'll stick with clapped out.
    Well this thread just took an unpleasant turn.

I'm coming at this from a purely watch-enthusiast angle and have no military connections whatsoever, but I've always wondered why people seem to covet the issued versions? I get it if you've served, and I suppose there might be an historical artifact reasoning, but really, I've always seen them as a bit cringey.

I used to have a Sinn EZM2, which I still think is probably my perfect, one-watch solution, but it was the supposedly rarer and more coveted GS9 version and I couldn't get past the feeling it was bit Walt so sold it. I wish I could track down a standard civvy version. I think I'd give it all up for that.

That said, I'm a CWC fanboy for their no-nonsense robust design and the reissues are an upgrade, albeit a way more expensive upgrade, on the cheaper, issued originals.

I've probably completely missed the point, which wouldn't be the first time
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 7th May 2021 at 19:31.

I guess the attraction is different for different people
    For me it’s the hunt and the fact you have a unique watch with a historical connection. I am also interested in military history and have been since a kid so there is a little Walt in me.
    Watches with unit logos are hugely Walt if you were not part of the unit.

I have always managed to miss the team watches the Departments / services I work for (as a consultant) commission, apart from the last one which was a Tag Heuer, so I avoided that one!!!

Strangley for rugby kits I am the same, unless I have played for the team I won’t wear the shirt or kit. It’s all ‘full kit w@nker” I do wear the shirts I have played in a fair bit as casual kit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Well this thread just took an unpleasant turn.

I'm coming at this from a purely watch-enthusiast angle and have no military connections whatsoever, but I've always wondered why people seem to covet the issued versions? I get it if you've served, and I suppose there might be an historical artifact reasoning, but really, I've always seen them as a bit cringey.

I used to have a Sinn EZM2, which I still think is probably my perfect, one-watch solution, but it was the supposedly rarer and more coveted GS9 version and I couldn't get past the feeling it was bit Walt so sold it. I wish I could track down a standard civvy version. I think I'd give it all up for that.

That said, I'm a CWC fanboy for their no-nonsense robust design and the reissues are an upgrade, albeit a way more expensive upgrade, on the cheaper, issued originals.

I've probably completely missed the point, which wouldn't be the first time
    The problem John is issued means nothing without a back story. Just because a Watch number belongs to series known to have been delivered to MoD stores doesn't mean anything. It could sit there for 20 years and then be sold as surplus.

That's why Comex and Milsubs etc bought from the person it was issued to are rated so highly, especially if the guy can provide details and images to provide a decent back story.

CWC didn't sell to the general public for years, so logically all the watches up to that point are issued, but that doesn't mean it was ever used.

The problem John is issued means nothing without a back story. Just because a Watch number belongs to series known to have been delivered to MoD stores doesn't mean anything. It could sit there for 20 years and then be sold as surplus.

That's why Comex and Milsubs etc bought from the person it was issued to are rated so highly, especially if the guy can provide details and images to provide a decent back story.

CWC didn't sell to the general public for years, so logically all the watches up to that point are issued, but that doesn't mean it was ever used.
    I understand and it's kind of what I was saying regarding historical significance.

I have a vague memory of a story about an Omega SM300(?) from the 1960s that was sold with the military stores receipt, various service papers and pictures of the owner in his fatigues and uniform, wearing the watch – a complete historical package. That would be a crazy thing to own, and a bit sad that it wasn't owned by a family member. But I understand why a collector would covet it.

Craftsman
    Can I just say that this is rapidly becoming my favourite part of the forum.
    Interesting discussion about interesting watches.
    Carry on gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who prefer the originals:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/cwc/cwc-b...id19370173.htm

I think it's the first time I've seen an original 1983 diver listed for sale. Looks nice, I'm guessing as it's Watches of Knightsbridge it will be appearing in a forthcoming auction.

Still, nice to see one in the flesh so to speak.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 8th May 2021 at 11:36.

Craftsman
    For those who prefer the originals:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/cwc/cwc-b...id19370173.htm

I think it's the first time I've seen an original 1983 diver listed for sale. Looks nice, I'm guessing as it's Watches of Knightsbridge it will be appearing in a forthcoming auction.

Still, nice to see one in the flesh so to speak.
    That brings me back to a question I asked on 'patina' being used as a euphemism for 'knackered' ... to my eye, those hands are the latter :D :)

That brings me back to a question I asked on 'patina' being used as a euphemism for 'knackered' ... to my eye, those hands are the latter :D :)
    That’s actually in better condition than a lot of them
    Must have been on the QMs wrist...

There are many on here who share your view, just as there are many who don't get rare or vintage at all and that's fine. Your local shopping centre will have many windows full of shiny brand new baubles for you to buy.

That 1983 watch is 38 years old and will have seen a lot of life and that is part of the charm of vintage. Not many collectors want their watches to look perfect. In addition, it is a historically important watch, so much so that CWC made a reissue of it. Knackered, patina or whatever, it will sell for a shedload.

I would guess it will sell for about 15k
    As I say it’s one of the better Condition examples out there

Not one for you? Imagine owning that whilst you hunt for an original 1980 Auto. Get shut of a few Omega etc and go for it

Out of interest, if you look at WoK other listings they have some nice watches coming up inc a military SM300 and a milsub.

Not one for you? Imagine owning that whilst you hunt for an original 1980 Auto. Get shut of a few Omega etc and go for it

Out of interest, if you look at WoK other listings they have some nice watches coming up inc a military SM300 and a milsub.
    It is tempting but she went and looked a new house today. She is already planning where to put our furniture!
    I am never going to be rich...

Craftsman
    story of my life

Master
    I gave my son a 1996 navigator for his 18th birthday, his birth year. He wore it a lot and moved to Scotland a few years ago and recently bought a new flat with his girlfriend. I asked about the watch about 6 months ago and he couldnt find it anywhere so it was assumed lost. Today he tells me he's found it which is great news, it needs a new battery though. These are very uncommon as its an issued navigator watch, hen's teeth in fact.
    Last edited by bobc; 20th May 2021 at 18:09.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    I gave my son a 1996 navigator for his 18th birthday, his birth year. He wore it a lot and moved to Scotland a few years ago and recently bought a new flat with his girlfriend. I asked about the watch about 6 months ago and he couldnt find it anywhere so it was assumed lost. Today he tells me he's found it which is great news, it needs a new battery though. These are very uncommon as its an issued navigator watch, hen's teeth in fact.
    Wonderful watch and you are right, seriously rare indeed. I managed to buy a 1980 Navigator and sent it to Olli of this parish for a full service and it came back yesterday.

He has a parts account with CWC so the replacement crystal is genuine CWC and saves the need for using an aftermarket and transferring the satin torsion ring. Might be worth you getting the watch sorted.

If he ever wants rid, first dibs please

Master
    That'll be second dibs Ken, if he ever lets that go I will be catching it, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    That'll be second dibs Ken, if he ever lets that go I will be catching it, sorry.
    Don't blame you. The known range of issued Navigators in 1996 is 45 watches - from number 4 to 49

CWC Special Editions - take seriously or stick to the originals

I recently bought a Mellor-72, absolutely superb in my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheGent; 9th May 2021 at 20:41.

Do you mean the 1983 quartz from WOK?
    15k Roubles?
    Can’t be £ or $ or €
    If so I’ll certainly sell you mine.

You are correct I may be over egging the pudding a bit.
    I still think it will go well north of the estimate though.

£2,600 plus 26% - that seems like peanuts to me.

£2,600 plus 26% - that seems like peanuts to me.
    Wow that was cheap
    I was totally wrong.

Don't blame you. The known range of issued Navigators in 1996 is 45 watches - from number 4 to 49
    Ah that's why I cannot find a 96 anyplace.

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davie0146 View Post
    Ah that's why I cannot find a 96 anyplace.

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk
    For most of the known issued number ranges only about a quarter of the watches in it are known about, so probably between 10 and 15 in the hands of collectors. Rarely come to market and wouldn't be cheap. I'd pay a grand for one

Wow that was cheap
    I was totally wrong.
    Bargain

I have this special edition of a special edition which I like very much, the 1980s reissue are my favourite model tbh