closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko White Birch SLGH005 opinions

Grand Seiko White Birch SLGH005 opinions

I know this watch has been discussed in general Grand Seiko 2021 release threads but I couldn't find a thread dedicated to it specifically. I hope it's ok to start one - I just wanted to ask if there are any owners on the forum? If so, it'd be great to see some photos and hear your thoughts. I really like the case and dial but would be interested to know if the bracelet wears too wide in the flesh - there's no opportunity for me to see one in person in the near future. Also, how is the pricing for this model? Are discounts to be found or is there less flexibility as it's still quite new?

Thanks all.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    I know this watch has been discussed in general Grand Seiko 2021 release threads but I couldn't find a thread dedicated to it specifically. I hope it's ok to start one - I just wanted to ask if there are any owners on the forum? If so, it'd be great to see some photos and hear your thoughts. I really like the case and dial but would be interested to know if the bracelet wears too wide in the flesh - there's no opportunity for me to see one in person in the near future. Also, how is the pricing for this model? Are discounts to be found or is there less flexibility as it's still quite new?

Thanks all.
    I went into the GS store and tried it on. It is a fantastic watch, really solidly made, well finished and very balanced between the busy dial and the brushed surfaces.

It wears more silvery than white in person but that didn’t put me off if I’m honest, it gave the watch a more luxury feel. The last watch I owned that wore or felt anything like this was my 39mm Explorer, and this is by far the superior watch. Just try winding one and you’ll see...then turn it over and watch that crazy little escapement going back and forth, it’s some pretty good horology!

Bracelet? To be honest I didn’t notice it, made no difference to me that it doesn’t taper, it was a solid well made bracelet, and I felt it was sufficient quality for a watch in this price range.

Do I feel the watch is a bit steep price wise? Yes and no...it probably is justified because there’s a lot going on under the hood, and it is well finished. That being said £8,500 brings it up against some very very good competitors. Strangely of course with Rolex being the insane prices that they are these days, I’d be happier to consider paying that for this GS than a standard steel sports Rolex.

I have a couple of pics, I’ll try upload later.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice watch and I can get it at £6800 which is totally worth it at that price.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Nice watch and I can get it at £6800 which is totally worth it at that price.

100% £6.8 for the White Birch is a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for the feedback Mike! All sounds very positive. Some photos would be great when you get a chance, please.

Ryan, that's a good few quid below what I've found. I take it that price wouldn't be available to everyone? I'd be interested to know the source if it might!

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Mike! All sounds very positive. Some photos would be great when you get a chance, please.

Ryan, that's a good few quid below what I've found. I take it that price wouldn't be available to everyone? I'd be interested to know the source if it might!
    PM me :)

It seems very expensive for what it is, a steel 40mm Hi Beat. Is this the future of GS pricing or is there something about this watch, dial aside, that I am missing? Why is so much more than a titanium Spring Drive Snowflake for example?

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    It seems very expensive for what it is, a steel 40mm Hi Beat. Is this the future of GS pricing or is there something about this watch, dial aside, that I am missing? Why is so much more than a titanium Spring Drive Snowflake for example?
    The movement is a huge upgrade, proper high end movement. Very Moser-esque. Bracelet is improved a lot as well. But also it is part of an attempt by GS to elevate the brand above the 'riff-raff' brands like Omega, Rolex, Breitling etc and price themselves in that JLC/Blancpain area.

Cheers Ryan, as a GS fan boy it's a bit lost on me I have to admit. Guess I will have to see one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Cheers Ryan, as a GS fan boy it's a bit lost on me I have to admit. Guess I will have to see one in person.
    Yep in the metal they are definitely very premium. I'm still not sure on the bracelet to case proportions mind you.

Craftsman
    Anyone picked this up yet?

Was tempted to walk into the Boutique today but I had the dog with me & didn't know if they'd accommodate pets.

There seems to have been some bad reviews on the bracelet since the launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I've heard that it's quite hard to get hold of and there's a possible delay to get one, but I guess that's SOP nowadays. It's the first GS since the 'Peacock' that I've really liked. I think I read somewhere that the case is improved for this model too. At full price, it's pretty expensive but I suspect it's the direction GS will head for their most attractive models.

A nice enough watch but grossly overpriced. 6.8k is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    A nice enough watch but grossly overpriced. 6.8k is absurd.
    RRP is £8.5k btw. I'm not denying opinions are subjective but what watches at £8.5k would you feel are superior to this? I'll say that I don't like the styling so much and the bracelet seems out of proportion but that's my personal taste. From a quality perspective what would be better than this? (not a trick question or angling for an argument, just interested to get your take here). I'll say from handling this that it is a ridiculous amount better made than a Datejust for example, even though a DJ is of course a much cheaper watch. And at least on par with the VC Sixty Four range. What it reminds me of is Moser being honest, I'd say quality wise it is Moser level at least. Again with the caveat that styling isn't for me.

I haggled with Francis and Gaye by e-mail and they offered me one for £7,250.00. I was thinking about it, but after a few snide comments on here I decided not to bother.