closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any solar panel experts (retreating ‘profit’)

Master

Any solar panel experts (retreating ‘profit’)

Long story short
    I have a friend who’s sister enrolled in one of theses schemes a few years ago - I believe it was on a loan basis
    Subsequently her sister passed away (very young) - my friend is unable to find out where the ‘profit’ is going or indeed who the scheme is with
    she’s contacted the 2 energy suppliers her sister used but each is pointing to the other- I have suggested maybe one of these no win no fee companies

Any thoughts from the collective where to go-

Is the scheme a “free solar panel” one where the panels were fitted at no charge and the homeowner gets the free generated electricity and another company gets the feed in tariff?

Master
    No there was a financial loan to purchase the panels

Would there be a trace on credit file?

Craftsman
    I seem to remember there being a bit on the bill showing a discount on the balance due as a result of the feed in.

Good luck with this it's one of my bug bears these loans to buy things that pay for themselves as it is so often abused by scammers.

A friend at works mother got some solar deal with a loan ended up costing her a fair bit of money to settle the loan.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The loan company are 3rd party (bank ) and don’t know - they supplied the details of the fitters/ suppliers and neither know where the generated electricity goes
    The bills from the energy company show nothing- she’s needs to find out who the micro generation company are

Master
    Did she buy the panels, feed in tariffs paid to her.
    Or rent a roof scheme, no FIT paid but she gets all the free electric use during the day.
    If the second option look at a storage battery to get benefit of free electric when the sun goes down.

Most rent a roof schemes forbid the fitting of any storage capacitors or batteries with hefty penalties if you're found out.

Master
    I think she bought them hence the loan

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I think she bought them hence the loan

Find out whose name is on the FIT contract. If it’s hers then the profit (generation and export) would flow to her in the first instance. She would then be liable to pay the loan. If however it’s a joint ownership scheme then it becomes a lot more complicated.

more info required,

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Find out whose name is on the FIT contract. If it’s hers then the profit (generation and export) would flow to her in the first instance. She would then be liable to pay the loan. If however it’s a joint ownership scheme then it becomes a lot more complicated.

more info required,
    Thanks I’m trying to get some more info but she passed away suddenly (3 years ago) the finance company are perusing for the loan repayment- £7k I believe

Craftsman
    I have no loan but with mine I only get a payment if I submit a reading to whoever is paying my FIT (Scottish Power in my case)

You are also meant to keep full and complete records of FIT payments - as such I would dig through paperwork and see if anything is there

It could be that no payment has been made because no reading has been supplied - in which case supplying a reading now could result in a single large payment. However I’m unsure on the rules around this as I send the easing every 3 months as that’s the minimum timeframe allowed

Master
    Just wondering if anyone could help with any more info on this as my friend is struggling to get any info from anyone

Is there any indication of when the panels were installed? The FiT for Solar PV microgeneration (i.e. home electrical solar panels) closed on 1 April 2019. Only installations fully installed, commissioned and signed up for FiT before that date will be eligible for any FiT payments. If the install was after that date, or if it was before and not registered for FiT by then, then no FiT will be payable.

If the working assumption is that the system was in and registered before that time, then the list of current providers is available from OFGEM

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environment...ontact-details

I would suggest as a first step to contact all of these providers (can be done by email), stating the situation and asking if they are the registered FiT provider for the installation at that address. Worth noting that the beneficiary of the FiT may well not have been the deceased (though if the loan was to buy the panels then it is likely that they will be).

Note that there is not necessarily a link between the provider of electricity and provider of the FiT; they operate independently. I think at installation most people arranged their FiT through whomever they were getting their electricity from, but if they changed power provider there was no need to move the FiT provider as well.

If the FiT provider was one of those companies that have now left the market, that will be more tricky as it was incumbent on the installation owner to seek out a new FiT provider.

So...

• if it was installed after 1/4/2019 there will be no FiT

if it was installed before 1/4/2019 but not registered for FiT, it is now too late to do so

if there is a FiT and it is registered with one of the current FIT providers they should be able to advise the executor of such if contacted. It'll be worth including the meter ID.

it's probably worth contacting Ofgem for assistance whatever, though they seem to rely on the FiT providers doing the admin

Is there an MCS Installer Certificate for the system? That would have been required to establish the FiT.

Don't worry too much about missed claims; if the system was registered for FiT before that date and the provider can be tracked down, then they are likely to pay everything from the last meter reading to the current one. When I administered my uncle's estate, the solar claims had not been submitted for several years and British Gas paid the entirety of the outstanding amount.

I guess the one thing that doesn't help is that, irrespective of the FiT, the loan is still outstanding against the estate and will (I suspect) need to be be repaid.

Good luck!

Master
    Many thanks for that
    I will pass the info on - she’s just getting around to thing, it’s a few years since the death but she ‘inherited’ 3 children too
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Is there any indication of when the panels were installed? The FiT for Solar PV microgeneration (i.e. home electrical solar panels) closed on 1 April 2019. Only installations fully installed, commissioned and signed up for FiT before that date will be eligible for any FiT payments. If the install was after that date, or if it was before and not registered for FiT by then, then no FiT will be payable.

If the working assumption is that the system was in and registered before that time, then the list of current providers is available from OFGEM

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environment...ontact-details

I would suggest as a first step to contact all of these providers (can be done by email), stating the situation and asking if they are the registered FiT provider for the installation at that address. Worth noting that the beneficiary of the FiT may well not have been the deceased (though if the loan was to buy the panels then it is likely that they will be).

Note that there is not necessarily a link between the provider of electricity and provider of the FiT; they operate independently. I think at installation most people arranged their FiT through whomever they were getting their electricity from, but if they changed power provider there was no need to move the FiT provider as well.

If the FiT provider was one of those companies that have now left the market, that will be more tricky as it was incumbent on the installation owner to seek out a new FiT provider.

So...

• if it was installed after 1/4/2019 there will be no FiT

if it was installed before 1/4/2019 but not registered for FiT, it is now too late to do so

if there is a FiT and it is registered with one of the current FIT providers they should be able to advise the executor of such if contacted. It'll be worth including the meter ID.

it's probably worth contacting Ofgem for assistance whatever, though they seem to rely on the FiT providers doing the admin

Is there an MCS Installer Certificate for the system? That would have been required to establish the FiT.

Don't worry too much about missed claims; if the system was registered for FiT before that date and the provider can be tracked down, then they are likely to pay everything from the last meter reading to the current one. When I administered my uncle's estate, the solar claims had not been submitted for several years and British Gas paid the entirety of the outstanding amount.

I guess the one thing that doesn't help is that, irrespective of the FiT, the loan is still outstanding against the estate and will (I suspect) need to be be repaid.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Many thanks for that
    I will pass the info on - she’s just getting around to thing, it’s a few years since the death but she ‘inherited’ 3 children too
    Eeek!

Understandable how some of these things can slip through the net, but if it was registered then a bit of back payment, however small, would no doubt be welcome.

The other thing that struck me (may or may not be important) is that legally some, or all, of the payment will form part of the estate and need to be distributed in accordance with the will (if there is one)... though of course it would go initially to the creditors which will include the loan that was mentioned

Let us know how it goes

Having had another read of the Ofgem pages, I noted:

We are responsible for administering some aspects of the FIT scheme:

Running the Central FIT Register - the database of all accredited installations.

That would suggest that contrary to my earlier post, worth going to Ofgem first!

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environment...ed-tariffs-fit