closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone else not own any watch at the moment?

Question Anyone else not own any watch at the moment?

I've sold all of mine over the past several years (many not through TZ Sales corner), and now have none. I've been through a vintage Rolex phase (DRSD, Red Sub, 1655, 5512, etc), newer Rolex, various Omegas (incl. vintage) and Grand Seiko.

Seem to use my mobile phone all the time. Might get something at some point, but have kind of become fed up with 'man-jewelry'.

Anyone else? ;) ...I won't hold my breath.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

down to 6.

soon 4 unless I bottle out ... perhaps eventually 3

none
    Last edited by bigbaddes; 5th May 2021 at 17:55.

I've been through phases of getting rid of nearly all the collection. Always end up back with 3 or 4 watches. Currently back up to 3 Omegas. Usually each time I've purged, it is just a good opportunity to refresh the whole collection and take it in a different direction.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    I've sold all of mine over the past several years (many not through TZ Sales corner), and now have none. I've been through a vintage Rolex phase (DRSD, Red Sub, 1655, 5512, etc), newer Rolex, various Omegas (incl. vintage) and Grand Seiko.

Seem to use my mobile phone all the time. Might get something at some point, but have kind of become fed up with 'man-jewelry'.

Do you still have an interest in watches and what's out there, or is it everything about the watch world that has you fed up?

Why not just get one thats a few hundred quid you fancy, dont take it so seriously with Rolex and Grand Seiko`s.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post

How does that work, do you call the speaking clock?

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

No watch post on a watch forum..

Blog Entries
    No. . .
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th May 2021 at 19:25.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    I’ve got plenty still but I’m certainly not wearing one every day at the moment.

Definitely need to get in selling mode but I’ve been saying that for a long time.

I long ago gave up on expensive "man-jewelry", for me more satisfaction and enjoyment is to be found at the budget end, anything from twenty quid up to a max of five hundred. And I normally own three or four max at a time.
    If I did reduce to no watches, something I can't quite imagine as I wear a watch all day every day, I believe I wouldn't see the point of reading and posting on watch forums.

Don’t think I’ll ever find myself without a watch.

Leaving aside all the myriad aspects that make the hobby interesting, a watch on my wrist is essential simply as a time reference - a mobile just doesn’t cut it as a near effortless and fast display of the time, especially if my hands are otherwise occupied.

Also, a big part of the attraction in watches, for me at least, is the personal connection - I don’t chop & change, keeping most of what I buy. I have a few inexpensive watches with huge sentimental importance, would never sell them (or be worth selling them), so even in dire financial straits necessitating an asset fire sale I’d always have a few watches still.

Craftsman
    Don’t think it would be physically possible for me to not own a watch

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I cannot fathom the idea of having no watch to wear, it would affect my mental well being.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’ve always worn a watch. On the handful of occasions (in 40+ years) I’ve left the house early without wearing one it has bugged me throughout the day.

I also have a slight mistrust of any male adult not wearing a watch. (I know it’s ridiculous)

Will never happen - ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    I’ve always worn a watch. On the handful of occasions (in 40+ years) I’ve left the house early without wearing one it has bugged me throughout the day.

I also have a slight mistrust of any male adult not wearing a watch. (I know it’s ridiculous)
    This.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    No, I went through a ‘slightly disinterested’ phase during peak lockdown when some days I didn’t bother wearing a watch, but happy to report that I’m fully recovered now. 😎

Master
    Would feel lost without one. Putting one on in the morning seems as natural as putting on socks.

I also wouldn't want to be even more the slave to my phone if I had to rely on that as an alternative.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    No, I went through a ‘slightly disinterested’ phase during peak lockdown when some days I didn’t bother wearing a watch, but happy to report that I’m fully recovered now. 😎
    I did the opposite. Lockdown actually gave me the opportunity to enjoy my watches. I went from 2 'nice' watches pre lockdown to 7 currently. My concern is as and when we get back to normal I won't get time to wear and enjoy my watches (I work away during the week and I don't take nice watches with me).

My interest in watches is only loosely correlated to ownership. I spend hours looking at, and learning about, watches that I'll never own.

Even if I didn't own any I'd still be looking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    My interest in watches is only loosely correlated to ownership. I spend hours looking at, and learning about, watches that I'll never own.

Even if I didn't own any I'd still be looking.
    I echo a lot of this as well as the OP's sentiment. Before lockdown I had periods where I wouldn't wear a watch (*burn the heretic!*) but over lockdown(s) and WFH I've just not needed to and found with the ever-fluctuating weather and temperatures it's quite often been uncomfortable when I have tried to wear something (with my wrist swelling). I don't think it helps that my main watch at the moment is an Omega SMP 300M which, despite having the adjustable clasp to it, I just find too heavy and chunky to enjoy wearing when I'm sitting working at my desk or with the laptop on my lap on the sofa. With the Omega I've just reached the conclusion I find it mostly uncomfortable period, but that's a different story!

Whilst I have a small collection of watches, like I say the SMP is my 'main' wearer at present but mostly lives in the drawer. I've tried a few other watches during lockdown but flipped them all in short order, in part because the hunt always beats out the ownership for me but also for the above-mentioned issue of watches just not feeling comfortable.

I still gain enjoyment from frequenting the forum (reading more than posting) and other watch forums and sites, and 'hunting' for that perfect watch. Still not found it though and not sure I ever will (picky as I am!)

Saying that, I do find it frustrating having to fish my phone out my pocket to check the time and if it's sunny, struggling to read it until I've remembered to jack the brightness up to full!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    I echo a lot of this as well as the OP's sentiment. Before lockdown I had periods where I wouldn't wear a watch (*burn the heretic!*) but over lockdown(s) and WFH I've just not needed to and found with the ever-fluctuating weather and temperatures it's quite often been uncomfortable when I have tried to wear something (with my wrist swelling). I don't think it helps that my main watch at the moment is an Omega SMP 300M which, despite having the adjustable clasp to it, I just find too heavy and chunky to enjoy wearing when I'm sitting working at my desk or with the laptop on my lap on the sofa. With the Omega I've just reached the conclusion I find it mostly uncomfortable period, but that's a different story!

Whilst I have a small collection of watches, like I say the SMP is my 'main' wearer at present but mostly lives in the drawer. I've tried a few other watches during lockdown but flipped them all in short order, in part because the hunt always beats out the ownership for me but also for the above-mentioned issue of watches just not feeling comfortable.

I still gain enjoyment from frequenting the forum (reading more than posting) and other watch forums and sites, and 'hunting' for that perfect watch. Still not found it though and not sure I ever will (picky as I am!)

Saying that, I do find it frustrating having to fish my phone out my pocket to check the time and if it's sunny, struggling to read it until I've remembered to jack the brightness up to full!
    WFH Lockdown is a perfect excuse to wear your light and dressy pieces for this reason. Love wearing this with shorts and a sweater, disappears completely on the super comfortable Nomos Ahoi fabric strap.

Never been without a watch in my life - I'm old enough to remember good watches being aspirational things but it's only very recently that I could afford something nice. I've also not embraced the smartphone or smartwatch, as I have no desire to be haunted by "connectivity" everywhere I go; the 'phone I do have is only occasionally carried with me, so a watch fulfils a practical purpose as well as being an object I can enjoy for itself.

An observation - it's understandable and easy to get sucked into "groupthink" and aspire to own watches (typically from The Usual Suspects) which engender an "investment" not an "enjoyment" mindset, and which - in truth - don't suit you, or your needs. There are much more interesting and better-value propositions in the lower-midfield price arena, ones you can enjoy without fretting about cost, condition etc.

Get out!

And the answer is that not since I watched, mesmerised, as the hatchet in the hand of the Native American on the face of my birthday watch, ticked out the seconds, probably around the age of five or six, have I been without a watch.

No.

Weirdo...!

Simon

Master
    On this site????

Craftsman
    I probably look at my watch more than I look at the time , if that makes sense.
    Only off my wrist when they are at risk of damage.