closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: So what is a fish pass...?

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    686

    So what is a fish pass...?

    Heard the news we've all been waiting for, that the Twaite Shad can now bypass the Severn's tyranny of weirs to merrily breed upstream thanks to the construction of a fish pass at Diglis.

    Which did make me wonder - what on earth is a fish pass?! A fish activated lock? An Archimedes screw? An escaleator..?

    In case anyone else was curious, turns out it's this: https://www.unlockingthesevern.co.uk...pletion-video/

    Be interested to see how good the side windows are.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,919
    That was really interesting, I enjoyed watching that.
    Canít say Iíd thought about what the reality of the term meant!

  3. #3
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    4,270
    There have been plenty of Salmon Ladders in Scotland for decades - to allow migration beyond the Hydro-electric stations. I seem to remember that some had viewing windows?

  4. #4
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    14,483
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Pitlochry has a particularly fine example.

    https://pitlochry-scotland.co.uk/thi...d-fish-ladder/
    ______

    ​Jim.

  5. #5
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    16,579
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Heard the news we've all been waiting for, that the Twaite Shad can now bypass the Severn's tyranny of weirs to merrily breed upstream thanks to the construction of a fish pass at Diglis.

    Which did make me wonder - what on earth is a fish pass?! A fish activated lock? An Archimedes screw? An escaleator..?

    In case anyone else was curious, turns out it's this: https://www.unlockingthesevern.co.uk...pletion-video/

    Be interested to see how good the side windows are.

    pdf link...you did ask.

  6. #6
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    24,837
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Pitlochry has a particularly fine example.

    https://pitlochry-scotland.co.uk/thi...d-fish-ladder/
    Indeed it does,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  7. #7
    That was really interesting, thank you

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Pitlochry has a particularly fine example.

    https://pitlochry-scotland.co.uk/thi...d-fish-ladder/
    Ha, Iím staying near Pitlochry in June, as well as no doubt visiting family in Worcester over the summer. Seems Iím doing an inadvertent tour of UK fish passes - that pdf will come in handyÖ

  9. #9
    Grand Master AlphaOmega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Trinovantum
    Posts
    10,632
    I believe it's something one earns after doing household chores.

  10. #10
    Grand Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    11,184

    So what is a fish pass...?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    There have been plenty of Salmon Ladders in Scotland for decades - to allow migration beyond the Hydro-electric stations. I seem to remember that some had viewing windows?
    The one at Pitlochry Dam has a fish viewing gallery

    Nvm I see others said this also

  11. #11
    My daughter lives in Worcester, will have to trundle over and take a look at that. Thanks for posting.

  12. #12
    Master unclealec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,976
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I believe it's something one earns after doing household chores.
    My advice to young fly fishermen is to choose a partner who likes eating trout and salmon. Been a godsend for me; I am practically forced out of the house and handed my tackle if we are running low on trout fillets.

    To digress, and whilst I am dispensing my pearls of wisdom; if asked by someone considering a hobby whether they should take up fishing or golf, I always reply " have you ever tried eating golf balls?".

  13. #13
    Grand Master AlphaOmega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Trinovantum
    Posts
    10,632
    ^Excellent advice.

    Fishing is probably more relaxing than playing around. Sorry, playing a round.

  14. #14
    This has been a surisingly interesting thread :)

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Which did make me wonder - what on earth is a fish pass?! A fish activated lock? An Archimedes screw? An escaleator..?
    Wouldn't that be an eelscalator?




    Sorry, was that too early for a Sunday morning?

  16. #16
    Master unclealec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Wouldn't that be an eelscalator?




    Sorry, was that too early for a Sunday morning?
    More like a descale-ator unfortunately. Turbines aren't kind to fish.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information