Master
    Blog Entries

New Mr Porter limited edition IWC

this watch was launched this week.
    bronze case, 41 mm, faux suede strap.
    only 110 pieces

what do you think of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too gaudy for me. Dial seems to have way too much gold/bronze elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Wish the trend for bronze cases would just wither on the vine. That one looks especially awful.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Wish the trend for bronze cases would just wither on the vine. That one looks especially awful.
    I agree, bronze watches have zero appeal to me. If this watch was gold it would be fine (and expensive!), it looks nice, but I see no appeal in a watch that will turn a manky colour.

Looks good to me - classic (relatively) IWC Pilot style in a sensible size and in a material that will age along with its owner (if allowed to).

Journeyman
    Seconded
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I agree, bronze watches have zero appeal to me. If this watch was gold it would be fine (and expensive!), it looks nice, but I see no appeal in a watch that will turn a manky colour.

Agree 100%.

Journeyman
    I'm the same to be honest - 925 silver is fast becoming the next fad.

Oh Mr Porter, what shall I do
    They've only brought out a Bronze and I really wanted Blue

Master
    I really like it. I think it’s a winner. The only issue for me is why did they not go with the same mechanics like the newer ones with the see thru back and quick strap change system??

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I really like it. I think it’s a winner. The only issue for me is why did they not go with the same mechanics like the newer ones with the see thru back and quick strap change system??
    It is the same movement as the newer watches - just no gold rotor which you would have with the see through back.

This release looks good, but I have to say, I really like the green dial pilot watch - looks to be a nice shade of green.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It is the same movement as the newer watches - just no gold rotor which you would have with the see through back.

This release looks good, but I have to say, I really like the green dial pilot watch - looks to be a nice shade of green.
    My thoughts exactly. Tried the green dial bronze last year and looks nicer IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Tried the green dial bronze last year and looks nicer IMO.
    Should note that the green/bronze is with the older movement. But aesthetically its much better.

Craftsman
    But why the faux suede strap?
    If I'm paying over 6k for a watch I'd expect real suede at the very least.

It's probably to keep the vegans and animal rights activists happy
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    Better if you get it wet accidentally?

I did look closely at this one as I've been thinking about the IWC chronograph 41s released at Watches and Wonders. In the end I thought it might be a bit too bling with all the gold on the dial. Also, I'm not sure about how the IWC bronze seems to age. I've seen quite a few examples that just look a bit rough. This one on Watchfinder doesn't look great to my eye:

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/IWC/Pi...BoCbuAQAvD_BwE

Craftsman
    I think if I was spending that amount on a watch (and IWC are overly expensive, in my opinion), I would want a metal that is going to keep its "as new" look for as long as possible.

Master
    Mr Porter? What does that mean? Some grand aviation hero that's escaped public attention? And why just Mr?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Mr Porter? What does that mean? Some grand aviation hero that's escaped public attention? And why just Mr?
    I'm no expert, but I assume he bought it from here
    https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/...c-schaffhausen

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    I did look closely at this one as I've been thinking about the IWC chronograph 41s released at Watches and Wonders. In the end I thought it might be a bit too bling with all the gold on the dial. Also, I'm not sure about how the IWC bronze seems to age. I've seen quite a few examples that just look a bit rough. This one on Watchfinder doesn't look great to my eye:

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/IWC/Pi...BoCbuAQAvD_BwE
    That is not the best looking patina, looks like a base metal case with the chrome plating stripped off.
    The pushers looking minging.
    It could be returned to factory fresh quite easily though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That is not the best looking patina, looks like a base metal case with the chrome plating stripped off.
    The pushers looking minging.
    It could be returned to factory fresh quite easily though.
    Surely that's the point. I've owned quite a few bronze watches (and just bought another one) but I would never let any of them get to that state and it seems really daft to try and sell it looking like that.

Bronze alloys do patinate at different rates and in different ways - it may well be that whatever variant IWC decided to use is particularly reactive. Either that or the seller is a lazy arse.

I really like bronze watches. While OK in plain vintage pieces, I would never consider gold in a modern adult sized watch (always seems a bit Arthur Daly/Ali G), and with one or two notable exceptions, I'm not a great fan of PVD types in black or grey ... bronze when in fresh condition or very lightly patinated makes a refreshing change from the usual stainless steel.

MInd you this 'Mr Porter' (some sort of fashion brand it seems ... I had never heard of him/it) IWC chrono does seem a bit too bronzey - there's not enough contrast in the design. I guess IWC has form in this sort of thing - the Prada collaboration (GST chronograph) was pretty naff as well.
    Last edited by kk; 6th May 2021 at 10:59.

I like how it looks new. I’m not sure how I’d feel about it after a couple of years.

Journeyman
    This watch looks over-bronzed, plus the hands are mismatched to the dial markers, making it look like a vintage watch with replacement hands (just like with the new Bremont gmt diver).

I’m not a fan of bronze watches in general and I see nothing special about that versus the standard pilot chrono.