closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Prescription Sunglasses - RayBan

Prescription Sunglasses - RayBan

I’m looking to replace my standard RayBan Wayfarer with prescription versions. The Ray Ban site is coming in at about £320 but I’ve found a site called RXSport who are offering them for £260. Has anyone used RXSport or can anyone recommend another retailer for prescription sunglasses?

I had varrifocal prescription lenses fitted to my Rayban clubmasters by my usual optician, from memory it was about £250. They colour matched the original lenses, they offered to have the glasses fitted with genuine Rayban prescription lenses which was substantially more expensive, I've been more than happy with how it's turned out.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I had varrifocal prescription lenses fitted to my Rayban clubmasters by my usual optician, from memory it was about £250. They colour matched the original lenses, they offered to have the glasses fitted with genuine Rayban prescription lenses which was substantially more expensive, I've been more than happy with how it's turned out.
    That is another option but I’ve yet to get down to my local optician. Did yours stock Ray Ban?

I used these guys for my raybans, standard glasses as apposed to sun glasses but they have loads of lense options

https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    RX Sport were good to buy off for me and I'd also recommend Extreme Eyewear.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    That is another option but I’ve yet to get down to my local optician. Did yours stock Ray Ban?
    Yes they're Rayban stockists though I didn't buy the clubmasters from them.

A few RayBan prescription options over at:

Mister Spex
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    A few RayBan prescription options over at:

Mister Spex
    I think I've used Mr Spex a few times for prescription Ray-Bans. Recommended.

Thanks for the recommendations so far chaps, I got glasses for the first time in Sept so it’s all new to me!

I've just bought a pair of normal Ray-Ban glasses from The Glasses Company: https://www.theglassescompany.co.uk/

Had really good customer service from them and was very pleased.

Boots opticians do prescription RayBan sunglasses, it's where I bought mine.

Master
    I used RX Sport to make me some Oakley Jawbones, with reactolite, prescription, curved lenses, hell of a job, the did a good job and the end result is fine.
    Only issue was, they lost the original Oakley lenses along the way, which meant I didn't get charged the £300 quid, it was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I've just bought a pair of normal Ray-Ban glasses from The Glasses Company: https://www.theglassescompany.co.uk/

Had really good customer service from them and was very pleased.
    Just bought frames from these but need to get the lenses now so watching this thread with interest.

So many places offer varifiocal lenses for buttons but will they be any good?

I thnk I'd prefer to get them fitted at a bricks and mortar optician ao they can measure properly and for ease if anything needs adjusting. Maybe I'm being old-fashioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Just bought frames from these but need to get the lenses now so watching this thread with interest.

So many places offer varifiocal lenses for buttons but will they be any good?

I thnk I'd prefer to get them fitted at a bricks and mortar optician ao they can measure properly and for ease if anything needs adjusting. Maybe I'm being old-fashioned?
    I've considered online varrifocals but as my opticians mark the plain lenses to get the correct points of the centre of each eye prior to ordering the varrifocal lenses I've decided (rightly or wrongly) that I'll continue having them fitted in person.

Master
    Got mine through rayban, as I wanted the logo in the corner, also the colour matched wasn’t perfect for the G-15 lens, much lighter.

I also toyed with RX Sport & may use them next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve just phoned RX Sport to ask a question around lens manufacturers and thickness and the phone was answered promptly and the lady knew her stuff. My wife is also looking for sunglasses and so also asked some questions and she was able to advise on the lenses appropriate for my wife’s hardy prescription including the fact that RayBan don’t do lenses with her prescriptions and went on to advise on a number of options that might work with the frames my wife would prefer. Really nice to phone a company and find someone knowledgeable on the end of the phone, seems a rare occurrence these days!

Master
    I've used RXSport for years, mainly for Oakley's, can wholeheartedly recommend them, customer service has always been good and turnaround time is not bad either, certainly worth the savings. If you drive the A1 around Peatboghorror you can see their offices as you go along.

Another positive from me for RXSport - used them a couple of times for Oakley stuff, zero issues.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’m looking to replace my standard RayBan Wayfarer with prescription versions. The Ray Ban site is coming in at about £320 but I’ve found a site called RXSport who are offering them for £260. Has anyone used RXSport or can anyone recommend another retailer for prescription sunglasses?
    With Oakley, I'd pay the extra for original Oakley lenses. For a pair of Ray-Ban wayfarers, I wouldn't. Any decent local place should be able to do them substantially cheaper than £260 (Rx dependent).

I have bought 2 pairs from my optician, the first pair had standard prescription lenses in them and were unwearable. The 2nd pair I ordered had Rayban G15 lenses in my prescription and these are fantastic.
    If you are happy with polarised lenses I would not pay the extra but if like me you are fussy about your lenses pay the extra to get the lenses you want. (I personally don’t see the point in ordering named quality sunglasses and having bog standard lenses in the frames)
    I have not heard of RXSport but will give them a look as a I am after a pair with B15 lenses as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have bought 2 pairs from my optician, the first pair had standard prescription lenses in them and were unwearable. The 2nd pair I ordered had Rayban G15 lenses in my prescription and these are fantastic.
    If you are happy with polarised lenses I would not pay the extra but if like me you are fussy about your lenses pay the extra to get the lenses you want. (I personally don’t see the point in ordering named quality sunglasses and having bog standard lenses in the frames)
    I have not heard of RXSport but will give them a look as a I am after a pair with B15 lenses as well.
    All I can say, is that working in the industry, I wouldn't pay extra for Ray ban lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    All I can say, is that working in the industry, I wouldn't pay extra for Ray ban lenses.
    I have no doubt but I can’t stand polarised lenses and I like the colour transfer of the G and B 15 lenses
    Other lenses don’t come close for me. If I could find similar cheaper I would buy them

Blog Entries
    As I have needed prescription my local fella has done them for me using top end optics. He has replaced the lenses in a couple of pairs of Tom Fords and Persols.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    What brand would you recommend?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have no doubt but I can’t stand polarised lenses and I like the colour transfer of the G and B 15 lenses
    Other lenses don’t come close for me. If I could find similar cheaper I would buy them
    I’m yet to find the colour / clarity from standard lenses vs the RB ones, difference is night & day

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I've used RXSport for years, mainly for Oakley's, can wholeheartedly recommend them, customer service has always been good and turnaround time is not bad either, certainly worth the savings. If you drive the A1 around Peatboghorror you can see their offices as you go along.
    This - have had two pairs of varifocal sunglasses from RxSport - they are great, superb service I think.

RX Sport are perfectly fine to deal with, though I'm a total convert to getting frames reglazed by the many online opticians - to the point of finding frames I like, buying such discounted with no lenses, then sending such off for prescription lenses to my specification. Saves hundreds and I've never yet been disappointed

I used spex4less,com a couple of years ago and RB2132 frames (Wayfarer) and RB lenses cost me £184.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I used spex4less,com a couple of years ago and RB2132 frames (Wayfarer) and RB lenses cost me £184.
    Last few have been through them. Their customer service is great & are helping me with my challenge below.

Annoyingly having only used my wayfarers on holiday, I recently used them for driving (usually use my Oakley), realised the road signs were not clear - something I didn’t see in 2 weeks around a pool.

Convinced ray ban have made a mistake on my astigmatism, so sending them back after 2yrs to get them checked and see what my options are....hoping to just pay for lenses vs whole new frame as already have many identical frames as they have been my frame of choice for many years.

Best result clearly is RB having made a mistake and lenses corrected for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    RX Sport are perfectly fine to deal with, though I'm a total convert to getting frames reglazed by the many online opticians - to the point of finding frames I like, buying such discounted with no lenses, then sending such off for prescription lenses to my specification. Saves hundreds and I've never yet been disappointed
    Is that not highly dependent upon your prescription? E.g, my varifocal prescription is only suitable to fit a very (disappointingly!) small number of frames.

On this point the RXSport website will only show frames that are suitable for your prescription.
    Last edited by tertius; 5th May 2021 at 08:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’m yet to find the colour / clarity from standard lenses vs the RB ones, difference is night & day

With eye's like yours maybe you don't need prescription lenses?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    With eye's like yours maybe you don't need prescription lenses?
    Haha, it’s more about the way the G-15 and B-15 lenses let me ‘see’ more in the shadows & overly bright areas. Compared to standard lenses.

Also the match colour wise isn’t great & you can see my eyes through them, so optimum tint from the RB is preferred. Oh and I like the logo there, as don’t look prescription.

Alas definitely need them as can’t see anything at a distance!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Haha, it’s more about the way the G-15 and B-15 lenses let me ‘see’ more in the shadows & overly bright areas. Compared to standard lenses.

Sounds like witchcraft TBH.

Master
    I've used this firm to have prescription lenses added to existing sunglasses

https://www.reglaze-glasses-direct.c...hoCyq0QAvD_BwE

always a very good service; add a few quid and they 'service' the specs too if required; changing the nose buds etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sounds like witchcraft TBH.
    My prescription oakleys are good, but the nature of the wrapped style means the lenses are thicker at the edges, so as you look through the peripheral it darkens, a bit strange.

I’ve been a fan of vintage RB for years, but no point now I need prescriptions & I don’t get on 100% with contacts, so don’t want to swap lenses out on them. Quality certainly decreased post B&L days, but completely OT.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get AO or Randolph lenses in the UK?
    These also have excellent colour transfer properties, although I suspect thicker prescription lenses may make them uncomfortable for me, my broken mess of a nose means they tend to slide down my face!