closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying from the EU

Buying from the EU

Am looking at a couple of German brands (Nomos and Muhle Glashutte) and although I’ve done a bit of reading still not 100% clear on what additional costs I would have to pay if I bought direct or from a German dealer since we left
    the EU.
    Has anyone actually done this and have actual experience?

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Am looking at a couple of German brands (Nomos and Muhle Glashutte) and although I’ve done a bit of reading still not 100% clear on what additional costs I would have to pay if I bought direct or from a German dealer since we left
    the EU.

20% VAT to be paid on entry to UK, plus courier admin fee.

Journeyman
    the EU.
    I have the experience from the opposite direction (from UK to EU). Last time when I was purchasing from Eddie, I paid to Fedex: 21 % VAT, 3 % import duty and approx. 15 GBP fee for Fedex services. SO I do assume you will have to pay nearly the same (in rates applicable in UK - as far as I know the VAT rate in UK is one percent lower than here).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    20% VAT to be paid on entry to UK, plus courier admin fee.
    And presumably the German VAT removed at point of sale if buying new, so should be almost zero sum

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    And presumably the German VAT removed at point of sale if buying new, so should be almost zero sum
    Exactly, although you'll be buying in Euros so the VAT will be calculatd using whatever exchange rate HMRC decides.

And German VAT is 19%, so slightly lower than UK.

And you now have to pay a courier admin fee, so it's all going to be a few quid more expensive than it would have been before Brexit.

Thanks, seems Nomos cover all taxes and duties but basically at same cost as buying from a UK AD so no advantage
    there as should be able to get a 10% from an AD. Chrono24 prices from German dealers do seem cheaper and say including
    vat, guess have to contact one and see if they would sell less vat.

Master
    Thanks, seems Nomos cover all taxes and duties but basically at same cost as buying from a UK AD so no advantage
    there as should be able to get a 10% from an AD. Chrono24 prices from German dealers do seem cheaper and say including
    vat, guess have to contact one and see if they would sell less vat.
    Try Berry's for Nomos, the prices indicated are not fixed, I usually get discount.

Fabulous watches for the price IMVHO.

Two I bought last year.......

IMG_0171 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

IMG_0165 1 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Craftsman
    I bought my Nomos from Jura Watches at Christmas. Jura Watches still have a 10% code available - https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/pages/discount-codes

Maybe worth investigating?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bonny Marco; 4th May 2021 at 14:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    I bought my Nomos from Jura Watches at Christmas. Jura Watches still have a 10% code available - https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/pages/discount-codes

Maybe worth investigating?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, yes was Jura I was thinking of when said should be able to get 10% off from an AD.

Last edited by TBKBABAB; 4th May 2021 at 15:31.

Craftsman
    I recommend Jura too. I bought a Nomos Orion from them which arrived last Christmas Eve. I also got a bit of discount, and Jura handled all the VAT/duty malarkey. As Nomos is not normally in stock, Jura will order it from Nomos, so you are still getting a fresh from the factory item.

Earlier this year, Jura gave me a quote for an IWC, again this was a bit less than RRP (but not much).
    Last edited by Tatters; 4th May 2021 at 15:12.

Apprentice
    I recently bought a watch directly from a Swiss manufacturer ( remember Switzerland is not in the EU). The price on the website was quoted in pounds so I emailed them to see if there were any additional costs or fee's.

In the end I paid exactly the advertised price and didn't have to deal with VAT or courier fees. I have a feeling that the company basically sent the watch from their factory to their office in England and it was they who sold me and sent me the watch.

I would therefore say contact the German seller and see what they say. That aside, I would also recommend Jura having bought several watches from them.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAlba View Post
    I recently bought a watch directly from a Swiss manufacturer ( remember Switzerland is not in the EU). The price on the website was quoted in pounds so I emailed them to see if there were any additional costs or fee's.

In the end I paid exactly the advertised price and didn't have to deal with VAT or courier fees. I have a feeling that the company basically sent the watch from their factory to their office in England and it was they who sold me and sent me the watch.

I would therefore say contact the German seller and see what they say. That aside, I would also recommend Jura having bought several watches from them.
    Lot of Swiss dealers used to nip over to France and send them from there but doesn’t help now.